Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sloth

  1. Sloth

    Residency, tax and split year treatment

    This explains split year treatment: https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/migrants/residence-and-domicile/what-split-year-treatment
  2. Sloth

    Unsure whether to return to UK

    There are possible tax implications if you rent your house out, decide not to return to Australia, and subsequently sell the house as a foreign resident. https://atlaswealth.com/news/selling-australian-real-estate-as-an-expat/
  3. I have a question that I can't find a ready answer to. I'm originally a UK citizen, and have been living and working in Tasmania since 2006, and became an Aus citizen in 2009. I'm now thinking of returning permanently to the UK. I am over 60. I have read that in order to avoid UK tax, it's necessary to withdraw my super whilst still in Australia and send it back to the UK as savings. Let's say I withdraw my super on 1 July 2022 so it's now just cash in my bank account, which I then transfer to my UK bank. I then finalise my other affairs in order to return home, and I leave Australia, arriving back in the UK on 1 September 2022. By the end of the UK tax year on 5 April 2023, I will have been in the UK for more than 183 days, so I will be deemed to be a UK tax resident for the entire year from the preceding 6 April-this includes the date on which I withdrew my super prior to leaving Australia. Does this have any UK tax implications for my super? Do I need to elect for split year treatment in the year I return to the UK?
  4. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/social-security-abroad-ni38
  5. We're heading back next year and plan to use Wise. We've been using them for several years to send money in both directions. Opening an account is straightforward enough. Have you told the receiving bank in the UK what you're planning to do? The last thing you'll need to happen is your account being frozen for suspicious activity.
  6. Why would you complete a UK tax return if you're resident for tax purposes in Australia?
  7. Sloth

    National insurance stamps

    Here's how to pay once approved https://www.gov.uk/pay-class-2-national-insurance/bank-details The first time I paid, you could do it by cheque, and I wrote on the back of the cheque which years I wanted the payments allocated to (after having first spoken to the Future Pensions centre to find out which years were worth paying). The second time, cheques weren't allowed so I paid for a single year using the above link, and it was allocated randomly to an empty year which didn't produce an uplift to my final amount, so I then had to phone to request that it be reallocated to the correct year. It was a bit of a faff but easy to fix.
  8. Sloth

    National insurance stamps

    If you're referring to box 3 on the CF83, I put NONE.
  9. Sloth

    National insurance stamps

    Yes, I paid 12 missing years.
  10. Sloth

    National insurance stamps

    You have to wait for a reply to say you've been approved (or not) and then you can.
  11. Sloth

    National insurance stamps

    You need to apply by mail to get approval to pay voluntary class 2 NI: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/social-security-abroad-ni38
  12. Sloth

    Moving Back to UK after 18 years

    From the myGov website: "Travelling overseas - accessing myGov While you're overseas, you can still sign in to myGov. However, to sign in with a code sent by SMS, you'll need to: use the same mobile phone number registered to your myGov account be able to get the code by SMS, while outside Australia connect to a mobile phone network compatible with your phone service provider. If you can't get text messages while you're overseas, you won't be able to sign in to your myGov account. Before you travel, you'll need to change how you sign in. You can change your sign in option to use the myGov Code Generator app or secret questions and answers. To change how you sign in to myGov, you can either: download and set up the myGov Code Generator app on your mobile device use secret questions and answers. If you don't have the myGov Code Generator app, you can download it from the App Store or Google Play and then set it up. You must do this before you travel overseas."
  13. How long did it take from date of claim to getting your first payment?
  14. Incorrect. SP age in my case was three months ago. They haven't sent anything as yet. From the gov.uk New State Pension page: "You will not get your new State Pension automatically - you have to claim it." So, you have to claim it.
  15. Sloth

    Creating a Gov.UK account

    The other thing I should have mentioned is you can also split your pot any way you like, and only put say a quarter or a half of it into pension mode according to your needs.
  16. Sloth

    Creating a Gov.UK account

    The way around the minimum percentage rule is to leave it in accumulation mode and withdraw lump sums as you need it once you meet a condition of release.
  17. Sloth


    Aviva accept Aus NCD also. Attached is a screenshot of what proof is needed.
  18. My query was nothing to do with “taking a large amount of money back”, but related to HMRC’s rules around tax residency in the year I move back. I wanted to clarify my thoughts around moving my super and split year tax treatment. https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence
  19. Thanks for your advice-I thought that would be the correct approach, but it's always good to have confirmation from somebody who knows!
  20. Thanks Andrew. It seems to be a grey area due to the HMRC residence test.
  21. Sloth

    National Insurance Contributions

    Once you've checked your contribution record as advised by tea4too, it would be worthwhile calling the Future Pensions Centre to determine which pre-2016 years it would be worth you paying for to produce an uplift in your pension entitlement. The State Pension scheme changed in 2016, and if you have pre-2016 contributions on record you are under the transitional rules, and the practical effect of that is that your contribution record will show all gaps that you can pay to fill, but some of those might not produce any improvement. It is much cheaper to make class 2 contributions if you are eligible (c£158 vs c£780 p.a.). You will need to fill in an NI38/CF83: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/social-security-abroad-ni38 https://www.gov.uk/future-pension-centre You have until 5 April 2023 to pay voluntary contributions to make up for gaps between April 2006 and April 2016: https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/deadlines
  22. Sloth

    Thinking of moving back to Uk

    This is what the World Bank and the IMF do: https://www.worldbank.org/en/about/history/the-world-bank-group-and-the-imf
  23. Sloth

    Thinking of moving back to Uk

    Who do you think "they" have to pay it back to? This is a video about how the money supply works for any country that issues a sovereign currency:
  24. Sloth

    Shipping Costs to UK

  25. Sloth

    Transfer AU money to the UK

    Bear in mind that doing your transfer in instalments means you'll pay a larger percentage in fees e.g if you have $1m to send via Transferwise, if you send 10x$100,000 you pay $4486.40, and if you send 1x$1m you pay $3432.40 (at today's rates).