Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

9 Neutral

About Sloth

  • Rank

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Sloth

    Drivers licence renewal

    Just renew your expired UK licence.
  2. It turns out it's irrelevant as you can claim back the non-resident surcharge up to two years after purchase once you've established resident status (i.e. after 183 days in the country).
  3. In view of the new UK stamp duty surcharge for non-UK residents buying property, if I move back, when do I become a UK tax resident? All the residence tests I can find indicate I have to be in the UK for 183 days during any tax year, but all the examples given seem to be from the point of determining an individual's liability for income taxes.
  4. Would you care to elaborate?
  5. Sloth

    Bad timing or big mistake

    If OP has been here for 5 months, their visa was granted prior to 16 Nov 2019, on which date the status of the visa changed. Before this date, the 489 was " a 4-year provisional visa which requires holders to live and work in a regional area to obtain permanent residence. " So you're correct, it pays to find out the exact visa somebody has.
  6. Sloth

    Skilled 175 visa travel conditions expired

    Call Home Affairs and ask them: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/contact-us/telephone/outside-australia
  7. The taxman knows! The Common Reporting Standard means you can't escape: https://www.ato.gov.au/General/International-tax-agreements/In-detail/International-arrangements/Common-Reporting-Standard-information-for-tax-agents/
  8. It may be, but it weighs approximately 5,974,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg. Or 6,637,777,778 whales according to my onscreen calculator, no species mentioned.
  9. Sloth

    Aussie Electrical items in UK

  10. If you look at the first table on this page headed "Who can pay voluntary contributions", you either fall into the "living and working abroad" category, or "living abroad but not working" category. If working, Class 2, if not, class 3. If you've sent in a CF83 and received approval, pay class 2. https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/who-can-pay-voluntary-contributions
  11. HI Have you read HMRC leaflet NI 38 and sent in a CF 83 application to pay class 2 contributions? https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/social-security-abroad-ni38 We pay ours by chq from our UK bank a/c.
  12. Have you read this page? https://www.migration.tas.gov.au/skilled_migrants/skilled_regional
  13. Sloth

    UK TAX and Brexit

  14. Sloth

    Banks or others for moving money?

    I have used OFX (used to be Tranzfers) since 2006 with zero problems and competitive rates, free to open an account: https://uk.ofx.com/registration?pid=&cid=76