Country music scene

Sammie P

Hi, My family and I are considering moving to Perth and I wanted to know if there is a country music scene there? We love live music and would be keen to go to gigs or even arrange and host gigs (I have contacts in the industry). And is there a dedicated country music radio station, or even a program, there? 

Thanks in advance

Not specifically a country music fan, more of live performance fan but I love the singer songwriters who perform in local breweries and wineries. 

Have missed it but it is all returning albeit limited numbers and strictly no dancing! Recently saw a great rockabilly band and an amateur orchestra and off to a reading of a play tomorrow.

There is a lot out there and it took us a while to find, the amateur scene is really good here and  not expensive, often free.  The professional plays and music gigs can be very expensive though so we pick and choose.

Anything live tbh, give me an am dram performance over a Hollywood blockbuster any day.

As for radio station I’m not sure I listen via internet and ask Siri to just play stuff!

• Like 1

On 26/09/2020 at 09:41, Sammie P said:

Hi, My family and I are considering moving to Perth and I wanted to know if there is a country music scene there? We love live music and would be keen to go to gigs or even arrange and host gigs (I have contacts in the industry). And is there a dedicated country music radio station, or even a program, there? 

Thanks in advance

If you are into country music, then I'd be considering a move to NSW or Queensland rather than Perth, as that is where the centre of country music is in Australia. Tamworth is the epicentre.  

I'm sure there's a lively local scene in Perth, but you won't see as big a variety of singers/bands from other states, because of the distance. A band can get on their bus and tour around the Eastern states, and at worst, they'll have a full day's travel between gigs - and that's manageable.  But if they want to get to Perth, they either have to drive for three or four days solid (think of the petrol and it's three days with no income), or take an expensive flight with all their gear. So they won't come, unless it's a big festival and they're getting paid a big fee. 

The same goes for international visitors.  You'll often see international acts which play in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne but they don't go to Adelaide, Darwin or Perth - the cities are too small and can't offer a big enough audience to compensate for the extra cost of getting there. 

Like I said, I'm sure there is a lively local scene in Perth and for all I know, that may be enough for you.  It's just a question of degree.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

There's music for everyone in Perth, just a matter of looking who's on where. Went to a local tennis club last night and there was an excellent singer/acoustic guitarist on in the outdoor area. Played a good mixture of stuff, fair bit of Neil Young but Foo Fighters, Billy Idol thrown in from requests. Only a local guy in his 30's. Had a chat with him and he loved the old school stuff.

There is a good blues club in Perth and lots of live music venues. All open and no mask wearing number restrictions. No covid.