Strange request

ozuk

I'm currently on a bridging visa and the processing time for the visa I've applied for is 50+ years. The chief medical officer has requested further information regarding health to determine whether or not I will be a drain on the healthcare system. Being on a bridging visa means I can't register for Medicare. I wont be able to apply for 50 years, so it will be ME who will be paying all medical costs, not Australia. So why do they need further info to see if I will be a drain when they will never be paying a cent? 

55 minutes ago, NickyNook said:

Are you from the UK?

If so, then surely you qualify for Medicare under the reciprocal arrangement?

The reciprocal agreement is really only intended for emergency care. If you had a long term condition, or a condition which wasn't urgent, I'm not sure you could rely on it. It may depend on your doctor.

Saying that I do know someone who had  extensive heart and cancer treatment on a bridging visa. Although that did seem to be a mistake on behalf of the hospital, as they did eventually stop treating her and she had to return to the UK.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, newjez said:

The reciprocal agreement is really only intended for emergency care. If you had a long term condition, or a condition which wasn't urgent, I'm not sure you could rely on it. It may depend on your doctor.

Saying that I do know someone who had  extensive heart and cancer treatment on a bridging visa. Although that did seem to be a mistake on behalf of the hospital, as they did eventually stop treating her and she had to return to the UK.

The UK reciprocal agreement covers:

• medically necessary care out of hospital 
  • medically necessary care as a public patient in a public hospital 
  • some PBS prescription medicines at the general rate.

Open to interpretation what 'medically necessary' means. Guess it's up to the provider to interpret as they see fit. Sounds like more than just emergency care, though. 

2 hours ago, ozuk said:

I'm currently on a bridging visa and the processing time for the visa I've applied for is 50+ years. The chief medical officer has requested further information regarding health to determine whether or not I will be a drain on the healthcare system. Being on a bridging visa means I can't register for Medicare. I wont be able to apply for 50 years, so it will be ME who will be paying all medical costs, not Australia. So why do they need further info to see if I will be a drain when they will never be paying a cent? 

Presumably if they identify an issue now which would result in an eventual visa refusal, they may just refuse you now and save you waiting on a bridging visa for X number of years

• Like 1

On the Medicare site it says:

You can enrol in Medicare if you have a valid temporary visa covered by 1 of these Ministerial Orders:

• Fulbright scholars
  • Witness Protection (Trafficking) Temporary visa (subclass 787)
  • De facto partners of Australian citizens or permanent residents
  • Support for Victims of People Trafficking Program
  • Temporary Humanitarian Concern visa (subclass 786)
  • Contributory Parent visas (subclasses 173, 143, 884, 864)
  • Temporary Protection visa (subclass 785)
  • Removal Pending Bridging visa (subclass 070)
  • Illegal maritime arrivals holding a Bridging E (Class WE) visa
  • Illegal maritime arrivals holding a Humanitarian Stay visa (subclass 449)
  • Secondary Movement Offshore Entry visa XB (subclass 447)
  • Safe Haven Enterprise visa (subclass 790)
  • Skilled Work Regional Provisional visa (subclass 491)
  • Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional Provisional visa (subclass 494)

I'm none of those so I don't qualify, meaning I pay for all medical costs. I've explained to them I don't qualify yet they still insist they send medical information to determine if I'll be a drain on the healthcare. 

4 hours ago, NickyNook said:

The UK reciprocal agreement covers:

• medically necessary care out of hospital 
  • medically necessary care as a public patient in a public hospital 
  • some PBS prescription medicines at the general rate.

Open to interpretation what 'medically necessary' means. Guess it's up to the provider to interpret as they see fit. Sounds like more than just emergency care, though. 

It is. If you needed a major operation then and there, you would get it. If you needed something that can wait, even if it is uncomfortable, then you would probably wait. 

But could you get private cover anyway?

Edited by newjez

6 hours ago, ozuk said:

You can enrol in Medicare if you have a valid temporary visa covered by 1 of these Ministerial Orders:

• Fulbright scholars

I'm none of those so I don't qualify, meaning I pay for all medical costs. I've explained to them I don't qualify yet they still insist they send medical information to determine if I'll be a drain on the healthcare. 

I don’t see what the problem is. They can ask for whatever they want to. A medical is part of the process so it really doesn’t matter what you explain to them.  If you want to stay there you will provide all that they ask you for.  It’s really no big deal.  If it comes to light you have a condition that may cost Australia a lot of money (regardless to your claims that you will pay for it) then your visa will be unsuccessful.  That’s just the process, we take it or leave it.  

13 hours ago, ozuk said:

They are undertaking preliminary checks before your application is queued.

If you fail the health requirements now they are likely to refuse the visa now, rather than queue it for processing at a much later date.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2020 at 20:05, ozuk said:

• Fulbright scholars

Although you can afford your own medical care at the moment, there could come a time that you might not be able to. They have to cover every eventuality.