New furniture?

Aussiebird

Just now, Aussiebird said:

Hi,

Do customs clearance open everything?

We was thinking of buying some flat pack furniture and getting the items wrapped and packed in their boxes to save on space in the container.

Is this allowed?

TIA. XX

They do have IKEA in Perth. Not sure about the east. Have you compared prices?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

We was thinking of buying some flat pack furniture and getting the items wrapped and packed in their boxes to save on space in the container.

Is this allowed?

You're going to be sending lots of stuff in boxes.  No reason why furniture would be any different.  However, get online and check the prices in Australia before deciding whether it's worth it.  

• Like 1

I don’t know that they DO open every box, but they CAN and you have to give a detailed itemised report. An they are more likely to want to look at object that are potentially biosecurity risk including wooden items.

I think one of the concerns will also be having to pay duty on the furniture as it’s new (can’t remember the timeframe offhand - I think it is either 6 or 12 months). It will probably be very obvious that furniture is new if it’s flat and has no evidence of being assembled.

Acknowledging the exchange rate, I’d say ikea is pretty similar price in Australia to the UK

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flossy82 said:

I don’t know that they DO open every box, but they CAN and you have to give a detailed itemised report. An they are more likely to want to look at object that are potentially biosecurity risk including wooden items.

I think one of the concerns will also be having to pay duty on the furniture as it’s new (can’t remember the timeframe offhand - I think it is either 6 or 12 months). It will probably be very obvious that furniture is new if it’s flat and has no evidence of being assembled.

Acknowledging the exchange rate, I’d say ikea is pretty similar price in Australia to the UK

I recently had to sign a declaration that ALL goods we were shipping, were at least one year old.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AliQ said:

I recently had to sign a declaration that ALL goods we were shipping, were at least one year old.

I know that was a rule when we moved, but it was so long ago wasn't sure if it was still one

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AliQ said:

Oops that's right, if it's obviously new then you'll be charged customs duty on it.  So  if you're going to buy new furniture you'll have to assemble it so they can't tell if it's new or not - which defeats the purpose.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

Its only 1 item we want to purchase.  The Ikea prices in Oz seem to be more expensive though, so might just go and buy it this week and hopefully won't get charged! 

Like I said, you'll be fine provided you take it out of the box and assemble it - then they can't prove it's new.

• Like 1