RRV rejected

Josh3025

Was just wondering if anyone had been in the same situation as me and had some advice? Me and my family initially lived in Australia for 2 years when I was a child, however they moved back around 4 years ago and I chose to stay and remain in the uk when I was 18. I recently applied for an RRV last year but was rejected due to the amount of time I've spent out of the country. My family decided to get in touch with an immigration agent and they recommended I came over on tourist Visa and applied for a Visa whilst I was on shore, I have no close family remaining in the UK and I'm 22 years old, 23 in March.

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Josh3025 said:

Was just wondering if anyone had been in the same situation as me and had some advice? Me and my family initially lived in Australia for 2 years when I was a child, however they moved back around 4 years ago and I chose to stay and remain in the uk when I was 18. I recently applied for an RRV last year but was rejected due to the amount of time I've spent out of the country. My family decided to get in touch with an immigration agent and they recommended I came over on tourist Visa and applied for a Visa whilst I was on shore, I have no close family remaining in the UK and I'm 22 years old, 23 in March.

Any help would be much appreciated.

How did they get back in, what visa did they have?

8 hours ago, Josh3025 said:

Was just wondering if anyone had been in the same situation as me and had some advice? Me and my family initially lived in Australia for 2 years when I was a child, however they moved back around 4 years ago and I chose to stay and remain in the uk when I was 18. I recently applied for an RRV last year but was rejected due to the amount of time I've spent out of the country.

It's tough right now because of the coronavirus.  I assume the agent is suggesting you arrive on the tourist visa, then apply for the RRV again, as I can't think of any other visa you'd be eligible for?  

I think the best idea might be to make a plan for the middle of next year, when the travel bans should be lifted.   Then, apply for a Working Holiday Visa, which will give you a full year in Australia (and even longer, if you do the regional work).   That gives you time to establish more links to Australia (rent a flat, get a bank account etc) so you would have a stronger case for the RRV.  And get an agent to help you do the application to ensure you present the strongest possible case. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It's tough right now because of the coronavirus.  I assume the agent is suggesting you arrive on the tourist visa, then apply for the RRV again, as I can't think of any other visa you'd be eligible for?  

I think the best idea might be to make a plan for the middle of next year, when the travel bans should be lifted.   Then, apply for a Working Holiday Visa, which will give you a full year in Australia (and even longer, if you do the regional work).   That gives you time to establish more links to Australia (rent a flat, get a bank account etc) so you would have a stronger case for the RRV.  And get an agent to help you do the application to ensure you present the strongest possible case. 

Would the WHV cancel the PR visa?

7 hours ago, ali said:

No more than a tourist visa would and an immigration agent has apparently already suggested using a tourist visa (presumably before COVID-19 came along).

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah the recommendation for the immigration agent came through towards the end of last year and said she thought I should come over on a regular tourist and then apply for the RRV onshore, I would then be able to get a bridging visa whilst I was waiting. However I was slightly sceptical in what my rights to getting a job or buying a house etc would be on a bridging visa. 

47 minutes ago, Josh3025 said:

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah the recommendation for the immigration agent came through towards the end of last year and said she thought I should come over on a regular tourist and then apply for the RRV onshore, I would then be able to get a bridging visa whilst I was waiting. However I was slightly sceptical in what my rights to getting a job or buying a house etc would be on a bridging visa. 

If you come on a WHV instead of a tourist visa, then you’d be able to work. I wouldn’t buy a house as you’d pay an eye watering amount in duties, but having a lease on a place is just as good a way to establish a “home” for the purpose of the RRV

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eagle2020 said:

How much more in duty do you pay if you are a "foreign investor" as it were when buying a house? 

It varies from state to state but it usually works out at about three times the normal amount.   So for instance, on a $500,000 unit you'd pay around $60,000 instead of about $19,000 in NSW.

If you qualify as a First Home Buyer in some states, you don't pay the normal stamp duty - but you still have to pay the foreign buyer's stamp duty.  So in that case, in NSW a first home buyer doesn't pay stamp duty, but you'll still get slugged the Foreign Buyer's stamp duty of around $40,000.

Plus a few thousand more for the FIRB fee. 

Edited by Marisawright

On 31/05/2020 at 01:58, ali said:

We have discussed this before ... the PR has already expired, so nothing to ‘cancel’. The option of an RRV is always open to a person who has previously held a permanent visa, provided they meet the eligibility criteria. 

• Thanks 1