Job Keeper Scheme discussion.

Asd

Hi everyone,

I have been on several visas 485, 457, 482 and now 489 hoping to apply 887 soon. I worked for the same company for nearly 8 years of full-time paid taxes and I love Australia. After Jobkeeper payment scheme passed the Parliament, a lot of my friends with different companies got the same problems. I hope to seek some relief messages or who to contact for help. 

I understand Australia has been through a lot of problems like bushfires and Corona and I couldn't ask for more. But the scheme passed and my employer yesterday sent the message: We regret to inform you that you will not have any shifts/being roster on for at least 4 months or more. We decided to roster only Australian citizens/PR as they got paid from the government. But if we roster you on we have to use our own fund to pay you which we choose not to at the moment.

The company still obviously opened but I technically still got the job, but no shifts. My wife has been stood down as she worked in a coffee shop and we have rents, food, utility bills and 2 kids to pay for. This has really left a big impact on our family. We just want to survive somehow. Did anyone get the same problems on temporary visas? What organization can you ask for help like food? What is the cheapest utility brand did you use? 

Thank you

Unfortunately, unless you can ride this out for a couple of months, you may have to look at moving back to the UK. The Australian government has made it pretty clear it will help Australian and New Zealand citizens only. The PM outright said it. I think the good news is that Australia should be out of this pretty soon with the good numbers coming through. Just need to stick it out till recovery. Being a non-PR or citizen, one would assume you have ample savings to get you through.

45 minutes ago, Shaun3000 said:

Unfortunately, unless you can ride this out for a couple of months, you may have to look at moving back to the UK. The Australian government has made it pretty clear it will help Australian and New Zealand citizens only. The PM outright said it. I think the good news is that Australia should be out of this pretty soon with the good numbers coming through. Just need to stick it out till recovery. Being a non-PR or citizen, one would assume you have ample savings to get you through.

I did consider going back to the UK however there are no flights. My flights in March have been canceled. I tried to book some flights but those flights have multiple connections and the price is ridiculously expensive from $8500 to $13000 for a single economy seat, we had four people that means $35,000 roughly. In order to go back, I had to cancel my kid's schools, as well as arrange the rent contract cancellation fee.

15 hours ago, Asd said:

Hi everyone,

I have been on several visas 485, 457, 482 and now 489 hoping to apply 887 soon. I worked for the same company for nearly 8 years of full-time paid taxes and I love Australia. After Jobkeeper payment scheme passed the Parliament, a lot of my friends with different companies got the same problems. I hope to seek some relief messages or who to contact for help. 

I understand Australia has been through a lot of problems like bushfires and Corona and I couldn't ask for more. But the scheme passed and my employer yesterday sent the message: We regret to inform you that you will not have any shifts/being roster on for at least 4 months or more. We decided to roster only Australian citizens/PR as they got paid from the government. But if we roster you on we have to use our own fund to pay you which we choose not to at the moment.

The company still obviously opened but I technically still got the job, but no shifts. My wife has been stood down as she worked in a coffee shop and we have rents, food, utility bills and 2 kids to pay for. This has really left a big impact on our family. We just want to survive somehow. Did anyone get the same problems on temporary visas? What organization can you ask for help like food? What is the cheapest utility brand did you use? 

Thank you

I have a member of staff in a similar boat. Been here a few years on a temp visa working and paying taxes and only gained PR last month so is void from Jobkeepers and Jobseekers. As a small non for profit company because she is valuable to us we are offering her half her usual hours so she at least as some income. Is this not an option for your employer? could be worth asking.

Im not sure where you are, but here in Brisbane there are a few places you can get cheap food packages from, a whole trolley full for around $25. Lighthouse care and Loaves and Fishes are 2 of the more popular ones.

Also just check in with centrelink to see if you can get any rent assistance or any financial help at all.

Cal x

• Like 1

I have a member of staff in a similar boat. Been here a few years on a temp visa working and paying taxes and only gained PR last month so is void from Jobkeepers and Jobseekers. As a small non for profit company because she is valuable to us we are offering her half her usual hours so she at least as some income. Is this not an option for your employer? could be worth asking.
Im not sure where you are, but here in Brisbane there are a few places you can get cheap food packages from, a whole trolley full for around $25. Lighthouse care and Loaves and Fishes are 2 of the more popular ones.
Also just check in with centrelink to see if you can get any rent assistance or any financial help at all.
  Cal x

Hi Cal,
I also saw that CentreLink have revised their eligibility criteria for Jobseekers, waiving the the 4 year waiting period amongst other things.
It was on their website:

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/subjects/affected-coronavirus-covid-19/changes-claims-and-your-obligations-due-coronavirus-covid-19
  • Like 1

On 11/04/2020 at 11:25, calNgary said:

Cal x

Thank you, I can manage to get some cheap stuff from the market and charity. 

I asked the Centrelink and they told me as I'm not a PR yet, I'm not eligible for any financial help at the moment. Hopefully, there will be something new going on. I appreciate it.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this has happened to you. It is a very tough situation. 

My husband and I received PR on 3/3/2020 and as such miss out on jobkeepers (read today we have to have held a permanent residency visa on 1/3/2020- missed out on help by 2 days!). Pretty frustrating. Have spoken to Centrelink and we are eligible for jobseekers as we are now residents.

We have also been advised we can each apply for 10k of our super this financial year and next. Not ideal as this was towards our retirement fund but it will have to be. Luckily we have awesome landlords who have discussed waivering our rent during financial hardship. I am a dentist and as of 27th March was stood down. As we are at most risk of spreading the disease through aerosols we will be the last profession to be up and running again. This terrifies me especially as we just found out I am pregnant with our first child. Not exactly how I saw things working out for us but we must go on. 

Good luck, I really hope you don't have to move back to the UK as you have been here legally paying taxes for so long. Life is cruel! 

Edited by Cazwilkins
  • Like 1

On 15/04/2020 at 22:39, Cazwilkins said:

Sorry to hear this has happened to you. It is a very tough situation. 

My husband and I received PR on 3/3/2020 and as such miss out on jobkeepers (read today we have to have held a permanent residency visa on 1/3/2020- missed out on help by 2 days!). Pretty frustrating. Have spoken to Centrelink and we are eligible for jobseekers as we are now residents.

We have also been advised we can each apply for 10k of our super this financial year and next. Not ideal as this was towards our retirement fund but it will have to be. Luckily we have awesome landlords who have discussed waivering our rent during financial hardship. I am a dentist and as of 27th March was stood down. As we are at most risk of spreading the disease through aerosols we will be the last profession to be up and running again. This terrifies me especially as we just found out I am pregnant with our first child. Not exactly how I saw things working out for us but we must go on. 

Good luck, I really hope you don't have to move back to the UK as you have been here legally paying taxes for so long. Life is cruel! 

Thank you! I will apply for 887 and be on a bridging visa soon as well with the processing time is now 27 months, it's going to be more hectic. It is so hard to see my wife crying every day worried about the future, furthermore with the department said if there's anyone who can't support themselves should go back to their country while in reality there are no flights, and being bashed by a lot of Australians about having to be self-supported and immigrants had to go back to my country drives me into the corner. 

And if I go back to the UK, for example, I am not qualified for furlough. Life is tough but I will go on, I will keep applying for more jobs.

The one benefit you can get on a temp visa is tax free access to your Super ($10,000 this financial year and $10,000 next financial year - assuming you've worked long enough to have built up that much). For most people it's not really a benefit as you're just borrowing your retirement savings but if you're on a temp visa (unless you are certain you will get PR one day) it's actually a very good benefit because the only other way to access your Super on a temp visa is via the very heavily taxed DASP.

Edited by Ken
  • Like 1

FYI I applied for jobkeeper payments yesterday. The form states you have to have been a resident for tax purposes to have access to this scheme. So you will 100% qualify on your 489 as you have been resident for tax purposes this whole time. So go to your myGov and ATO and fill out the forms and you'll be grand 🙂

PS I know it's hard but just ignore those comments from SOME Aussies. Try not to let it get to you. They are uneducated and think that what the government mean by temp visa holders is that they are here just for Centrelink payments and a drain to society which is not true. Educated Aussies know that 🙂 I used to let it get to me but now I just brush it off because there's no telling stupid 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ken said:

The one benefit you can get on a temp visa is tax free access to your Super ($10,000 this financial year and $10,000 next financial year - assuming you've worked long enough to have built up that much). For most people it's not really a benefit as you're just borrowing your retirement savings but if you're on a temp visa (unless you are certain you will get PR one day) it's actually a very good benefit because the only other way to access your Super on a temp visa is via the very heavily taxed DASP.

I will apply for 887 soon so yes I am pretty certain i get PR, however we had no choice so we just took 24,000 out of super to pay for our kids to go to public school. We will try to see how it goes with other stuffs

I just want to clarify. Ignore what I said earlier. We do not qualify. My husband and I were granted residency on 3/3/2020 and so we miss out on jobkeepers by 2 days. I was given false information by somebody who stated those residents for tax purposes qualify. Unfortunately not.

Good luck with your 887 application 🙂

• 4 weeks later...