Starting school

belter

Hello All,

As I am relocating back to Oz with children this time, I was looking for some advice.

My children started school early in the UK at 4.5 (which I regret but cannot seem to be undone). So I was wondering when the children get to Australia do they have to start school straight away? I was also wondering what is the age for starting school in Australia. Also wondering about private schools, I vaguely remember my Australian friend sending her children to private school as I believe this is much more viable in Australia than in the UK.

Thanks in advance.

Bx

No one is going to get their knickers in a knot if the children don't go to school for the first couple of months.  

Private schools - I am always astonished how many Australians send their kids to private schools and since my ex used to teach at one, I have to say, I'm dubious the teaching standards are any better. Of course they have nicer classrooms and sports facilities but that's not really the point of education, is it?  

A lot of parents send their children to Catholic schools, which are 'private' but not nearly as expensive as the true private schools.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, belter said:

Hello All,

As I am relocating back to Oz with children this time, I was looking for some advice.

My children started school early in the UK at 4.5 (which I regret but cannot seem to be undone). So I was wondering when the children get to Australia do they have to start school straight away? I was also wondering what is the age for starting school in Australia. Also wondering about private schools, I vaguely remember my Australian friend sending her children to private school as I believe this is much more viable in Australia than in the UK.

Thanks in advance.

Bx

Each state/territory has a different starting age for school depending upon the month the child is born in. This also determines what year level they enter of course. You do not have to enrol them as soon as you get here, it's fine to take a little time first.

Edited by Sammy1
  • Like 1

You're not likely to get into the top tier private schools as soon as you arrive because they tend to have quite long waiting lists but there's be nothing stopping you from putting their names down for an entry at some later point, maybe HS. You're more likely to get into a Catholic school, especially if you are Catholic as there's is an almost parallel Catholic system.  Put your kids in with their age cohort and don't sweat the year level names that they might have been in in UK. Take as long as you like to get them into school, get yourself settled first.

• Like 1

Private doesn't always equal best.  Of course the elite private school usually always do well, but there are some well sought after public schools that do better than private ones year after year.  I would say, look around some schools, get a feel for the environment.  I've known children move from Private to public and public to private.

• Like 1