AHPRA registration for Internationally Qualified Nurses and Midwives

DukeNinja

Hi all,

Just thought I'd let you all know that from the 3rd of Feb 2020, there is a new pathway for internationally qualified nurses and midwives to get registration.

The old route was through filling AGOS-40 and sending notarised copies of the relevant documents. This form is no longer available, and it appears that the process will be electronic (Self-Check), however there is now a two-stage exam (MCQ, then OSCE) that some may have to undertake if it is deemed that their qualifications and experience are not commensurate to that of an Australian qualified nurse.

Furthermore, as part of the registration process, all nurses and midwives will have to complete an orientation program.

If you printed and filled in your AGOS-40 before Feb 3rd, and submit it before Feb on or before Feb 21st, 2020, it will still be accepted.

See the AHPRA website for more details.

https://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Registration-and-Endorsement/International/Applying-for-registration.aspx

Edited by DukeNinja
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Martina said:

Looks way cheaper than bridging program. 

That's what I thought. Total fee comes around $5000 AUD which is wayyy cheaper than what we paid. But i believe there might be increase failures among overseas nurses if they did not prepare for it carefully. Giving NCLEX-RN is no child's play and then you won't get any training for OSCE and will have to directly appear for it which will prove to be quite difficult for nurses who have not followed the same standards back home.
Anyway, this is what it is now. All the best to the new overseas applicants for NMBA-AHPRA. :)

6 hours ago, Pooja Negi said:

That's what I thought. Total fee comes around $5000 AUD which is wayyy cheaper than what we paid. But i believe there might be increase failures among overseas nurses if they did not prepare for it carefully. Giving NCLEX-RN is no child's play and then you won't get any training for OSCE and will have to directly appear for it which will prove to be quite difficult for nurses who have not followed the same standards back home.
Anyway, this is what it is now. All the best to the new overseas applicants for NMBA-AHPRA. 🙂

Right! I've heard nclex-rn is VERY difficult so we'll see how it works in practice. 

23 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

Is nclex-rn the same exam they use for registration in the USA? I didn't find that too difficult although I did study for it.

Yes, It is the same one. Probably you did not find it difficult but yeah it depends on the theoretical & clinical knowledge of the nurses. So, it's a case to case thing. I believe AHPRA has now made it cheaper and tough at the same time.