Are Estate Agents allowed to come anytime they choose into our rented property with consulting us first?

Juditta

We are renting a property on a six month lease, we have just been informed by our rental agency, via email, that a Valuation person will be coming to our rented house, on behalf of the owner of the property, on a certain day, at a fixed time, which is extremely inconvenient to us.   The Agent did not have the courtesy to contact us beforehand to see if this was a convenient time for us, and when we rang to change the date to a more convenient day for us, we were told we have to accept this fixed time of their choosing, as it cannot be changed.   I find it a bit surprising, not to mention, presumptuous, for the agent to assume they can enter this house, any time they choose, and not give us the chance to change it to a better time for us.     Maybe this is legal for rentals.

I am just wondering if this is lawful,  surely we can be allowed to change this valuation to the following day?  Got no problem with someone doing a valuation, but needs to be on a different day.   A bit of flexibility would be good.   🤔   Maybe I am expecting too much?   Not used to Ozzie laws 🙂

12 minutes ago, Toots said:

Thanks for this, Toots, I will have a read of it.....The rental agency in question is already coming tomorrow to do the usual inspection of the property to make sure its being looked after by us...….so why the Valuation person (who strangely has the same phone no. as the Rental agency) can't come along at the same time beats me!   So we have an inspection tomorrow, which is fine, and a Valuation on Friday which is the one giving us problems.

When we rented in Brisbane we were advised they were allowed to enter, or were allowed to give others entry to the property provided they had given us the right amount of notice. The right amount of notice (3 days, 7 days etc) differed depending on the reason for entry.

It could only really be argued against if it was ridiculously regular. We could request to be there but they weren’t obliged to fit in with our schedule.

https://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Renting/During-a-tenancy/Entry-to-the-property

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2020 at 18:43, Juditta said:

We are renting a property on a six month lease, we have just been informed by our rental agency, via email, that a Valuation person will be coming to our rented house, on behalf of the owner of the property, on a certain day, at a fixed time, which is extremely inconvenient to us.   The Agent did not have the courtesy to contact us beforehand to see if this was a convenient time for us, and when we rang to change the date to a more convenient day for us, we were told we have to accept this fixed time of their choosing, as it cannot be changed.   I find it a bit surprising, not to mention, presumptuous, for the agent to assume they can enter this house, any time they choose, and not give us the chance to change it to a better time for us.     Maybe this is legal for rentals.

I am just wondering if this is lawful,  surely we can be allowed to change this valuation to the following day?  Got no problem with someone doing a valuation, but needs to be on a different day.   A bit of flexibility would be good.   🤔   Maybe I am expecting too much?   Not used to Ozzie laws 🙂

I rented in NSW, we had the same issue with the Agency, were told under no circumstance can it be changed, I advised them I will not be in and if the person enters he would be liable to a big dog (doberman) not being happy to see him, and if he is bitten so be it... risk he takes, low and behold appointment was changed to a day I was in (the dog was there under permission of the owner)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...