Asbestos in older properties

Juditta

5 minutes ago, Juditta said:

Now we have reached the point of looking at properties for sale in Queensland, I am really surprised how many houses for sale have got lots of asbestos in them.   It's a big no-no in the UK.    😮   

Unfortunately older properties will most probably have asbestos in them.  Since 31 December  2003 asbestos and all products containing asbestos have been banned throughout Australia. It is illegal to import, store, supply, sell, install, use or re-use these materials.  

Have you looked at newer builds?

• Like 2

Hi Toots …..yep....started looking at newer properties now, but my partner who is an Ozzie, really likes the old Queenslander houses,   many of which still have asbestos in them...….so we are going to have to agree to disagree.....and look for more modern 🙂

16 minutes ago, Juditta said:

Hi Toots …..yep....started looking at newer properties now, but my partner who is an Ozzie, really likes the old Queenslander houses,   many of which still have asbestos in them...….so we are going to have to agree to disagree.....and look for more modern 🙂

Did you live in an older house in the UK?  Asbestos was used in the UK home building industry until 1999 when white asbestos was finally outlawed. The use and import of blue and brown asbestos was banned in the UK in 1985. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Toots said:

Did you live in an older house in the UK?  Asbestos was used in the UK home building industry until 1999 when white asbestos was finally outlawed. The use and import of blue and brown asbestos was banned in the UK in 1985. 

Yes, some years ago I owned a property with a small amount of asbestos in it, and had lots of problems when I wanted to sell it on, which is why I am so wary of it now.   But I am amazed how many houses are full of the stuff here.   

35 minutes ago, Juditta said:

Yes, some years ago I owned a property with a small amount of asbestos in it, and had lots of problems when I wanted to sell it on, which is why I am so wary of it now.   But I am amazed how many houses are full of the stuff here.   

White asbestos isn't a problem. My local tip even takes it properly wrapped.

As long as you wear proper gear or get it removed professionally, it's not a big issue.

Or it's safest just to leave it. Most fences in WA are made out of asbestos in older suburbs.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/01/2020 at 19:19, Juditta said:

It was cheap and mined here, and it protects against heat.  Non-friable asbestos is a fabulous product and you don't have to remove it if you don't need to.  Just don't smash it with hammers.

Loose asbestos is a different matter, such as in old roof cavities..

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

It was cheap and mined here, and it protects against heat.  Non-friable asbestos is a fabulous product and you don't have to remove it if you don't need to.  Just don't smash it with hammers.

Loose asbestos is a different matter, such as in old roof cavities..

Was Mr Fluffy an interstate franchise or did he just infect ACT? I hadn't heard of mass  demolitions elsewhere or have they just let them alone? 

9 hours ago, Quoll said:

Was Mr Fluffy an interstate franchise or did he just infect ACT? I hadn't heard of mass  demolitions elsewhere or have they just let them alone? 

I think it was into NSW and down the coast...but i think only ACT eventually took it seriously.  I don't know if they have a register of what was outside ACT. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

We just had asbestos soffits removed and replaced because we're having windows replaced (old house). It was very straightforward and not as expensive as I had budgeted. We just got in the professionals to do it and it was done in an afternoon then a morning to replace them. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Quoll said:

We just had asbestos soffits removed and replaced because we're having windows replaced (old house). It was very straightforward and not as expensive as I had budgeted. We just got in the professionals to do it and it was done in an afternoon then a morning to replace them. 

Double/triple glazed?

26 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Double should be enough.  It's actually not too bad at the moment, well insulated except for the windows.  

The front of our house get all the afternoon/evening sun so as well as the double glazing we have similar to those blind/shade things.  Close them up in the winter so we get the winter sun in the house.

window shades.jpg