Can we accompany our daughter on a student visa?

Lisa1234ken

6 minutes ago, Lisa1234ken said:

Hi there . My daughter is considering a student visa to Australia she is 18 years old if she applies  for one could me and her mother go with her I am 47 yrs old March 2020 and her mam is 42 yrs old  really new to all this thanks

I've changed the title of your thread - to better explain your post.  if people are just browsing the forum, it might help them respond to your question.

It might be worth chatting to a migration agent to see if there are any visa's other than a visitor visa you could apply for - were you hoping to be able to work and how long would you anticipate staying for?

Hi there. yes would of liked to work I am windscreen fitter in the uk and my wife is pharmacy dispenser but now works as a medical receptionist I would Like  to stay as long as possible maybe even migrating if that was an option I would probably have around £70,000 pounds to bring with us 

5 minutes ago, Lisa1234ken said:

Hi there. yes would of liked to work I am windscreen fitter in the uk and my wife is pharmacy dispenser but now works as a medical receptionist I would Like  to stay as long as possible maybe even migrating if that was an option I would probably have around £70,000 pounds to bring with us 

If you're looking at migrating (you wouldn't be able to work on a visitor visa), then you need to speak to a registered migration agent, it's unlikely that you would qualify for a visa at 47 - does your wife have any skills?  It would (I think) also be unlikely to get a visa by March to accompany your daughter.-

3 hours ago, Lisa1234ken said:

Hi there . My daughter is considering a student visa to Australia she is 18 years old if she applies  for one could me and her mother go with her I am 47 yrs old March 2020 and her mam is 42 yrs old  really new to all this thanks

If your daughter is coming on a student visa, that's only temporary, and she'll be coming home again at the end of her course.  if she imagines it's going to help her emigrate to Australia eventually, then suggest that she joins the forum herself and finds out the facts.   It's an extremely expensive way to get into Australia and usually ends in tears.

Migrating isn't an option for you at your ages, so your only choice would be a holiday (tourist) visa of some kind.   

If she wants to spend some time in Australia she could consider a degree in the UK with some time spent abroad as part of it.  These are available and she would then be able to get some financial support for it too.  She wouldn’t get any support for fees or accommodation for an Australian degree and fees are expensive for non permanent residents or citizens.

The opportunities for you and your wife to gain PR and migrate are pretty slim tbh.  Check for information on visas on the gov website.

To add to my earlier post:  She should also check out the fees she would have to pay.   International students have to pay full fees, they are very high,. and she'd get no financial support from either the UK or the Australian government.  

If she wants to spend some time in Australia, a Working Holiday Visa would be a more sensible choice.  That is easy to get, and would let her spend a year or two in Australia.  She could either do that now (if you're willing to let her go!), or she could get her degree in the UK and then do it.   That visa is designed for young people and is available until she turns 30.

9 hours ago, Lisa1234ken said:

I assume you’re aware of the huge costs involved with your daughter studying in Australia as well as the fact all would have to be paid for upfront (there would be no student loan/maintenance grant available) I think from what you’ve put you’re trying to find a way to all migrate permanently.  Nothing wrong with that but unfortunately it won’t work. If you want to work you need a visa that allows that and you can’t get one. If I was you I’d speak to a migrant agent, there are some excellent ones that regularly post on here. They may well charge you a small fee (usually just a few hundred pounds) but it would be so worth it. You’re looking at spending tens of thousands on your daughter studying in Oz, worth a tiny amount to fully understand options. I’m pretty sure there are no options for you but by speaking with an agent you will at least know exactly how it is. 

9 hours ago, Lisa1234ken said:

Honestly? I don't think you have much of a chance there. £70k will go in the blink of an eye especially if you can't work. Most of it will go in international student fees up front.

I'd agree with the others, a more sensible option is for your daughter to get her degree in UK (unless she is absolutely minted) and maybe get an experience term or semester in  Australia if she is very lucky. Then once she has got some post graduate experience under her belt she might be able to apply for a permanent visa in her own right and then, once she's settled you could supply for a CPV (which would see almost all of your £70k disappear in visa fees). Long - very long term plan and you'd probably be closer to 70 before it all happened.

Talk to a registered agent by all means but be prepared for disappointment 

• Like 1