A few questions and a little background :)

Vickie78

Hello, 

Quick background : In 1992 Mum decided to join our small family in Melbourne Australia so we emigrated much to my then 14 year old annoyance and fast forward to my 20's met a man had two children, separated last year. I'm now 41 and my kids are 11 and 12. Dad has no issue with me taking the Kids to the U.K will sign whatever needs to be signed to comply with the laws(one of my questions will be below). I have 100% care etc. Mum has always wanted to return too, but has held off because until recently I wasn't in the position to return as had a partner and I was the only reason she stuck around. So now I/we are ready, and my kids think it's a fab idea, and with Mum I wanting to go we are more than ready in terms of the actual decision. We have both never felt at home here and have had our fair share of shit luck. So.... questions I have are

1. With regards to the Kids passport applications I understand I also need a letter of consent from their dad, now do I just write this up and get him to sign it? Is there a template? Does it just have to state he is their dad, their names, that he agrees for them to travel to the U.K on a permanent basis? 

2. We won't be shipping anything, just taking clothes/important docs etc. 

3. Not sure at this point if we'd be able to stay with anyone on arrival so what would be the best way to secure a rental from Overseas, with no credit rating as we haven't been in the U.K for over 20 years I understand that rent would have to be paid in advance? Which wouldn't be an issue. What sort of areas would be good for both schools and not too expensive rent? (I used to live in Christchurch, Dorset) 

4. My eldest being 12 would be starting High School next year, if we move before then when would new High school year start in U.K? Jan like Aus?  I have searched and see that year levels/ages are similar to Aus. 

5. Money, what's the best way to take it to the U.K can we arrive with some cash? Transfer the rest? I have read that if you open an account you can't touch it for weeks? Keep it in Aus? 

6. National Insurance, As I moved here when I was 14 and haven't worked in the U.K I don't even think I have a number? as for contributions what the hell do I do there? Can I top it up, once I get a job in the U.K? 

Anything else you can think of that I may need to know? The packing and getting on the plane isn't an issue, just all the other stuff Is drowning my thought process. 

Thank you for reading :) 

It is overwhelming, isn't it?    You'll get there, just take it one thing at a time.   Some answers:

Please don't even try to secure a rental before you get there.  You (or a trusted friend) HAVE to see the place, as adverts can be very very very misleading.   Book an Airbnb or a holiday home for three or four weeks instead.  When you find a long-term rental, you'll be asked to pay six months rent upfront.   If you're currently renting in Australia, get a written reference from your landlord to take with you.

New school year starts in September.

Money - DO NOT close your Australian bank accounts, because it does take time to get your British bank accounts fully set up ( you can open an account on the day you arrive, but it was about three weeks before I could get any money out, and my husband's took six weeks). 

The easiest option is to change banks in Australia now (it's not as hard as you think).   Move to ING Bank and get yourself an ING Everyday account with a debit card. Their exchange rates are pretty good and there are no fees to withdraw money from  ATM's or pay for goods while you're overseas, so you can use it just like you would at home.   That way there's no drama if the UK bank process takes time.

If you have a large amount of money to transfer, consider using Moneycorp or Transferwise - you transfer the money to their account and it then sits there safely until you can transfer it to your UK account.

You'll get a NI number when you get there.   Once you've got it, you can claim any work experience in Australia up till 2001 towards your balance. In your case that won't be many years but every little helps!  You could also enquire about back-paying missing years, but do check whether it's going to be worth it.

I'd suggest rethinking the shipping.  Look into getting a Movecube - the small one works out cheaper than sending a few boxes, and the larger ones hold a lot.   Maybe your furniture is too old to take, but it's well worth taking ALL the small stuff.   Do a trial shop on UK websites like Dunelm.com for all your pots, pans, crockery, cutlery, kitchen utensils, bowls, Tupperware, bedlinen, towels, doonas, pillows, etc and see what it comes to!   We've all accumulated that stuff slowly so we don't realise how much it costs - I know I was shocked.  And it's not just the cost, it's the time it takes to shop for it all, at a time when you've just arrived in a new country and you already have a thousand other things to do.

• Like 2

Wow thank you so much Marisa, 

I currently have a NAB account so will look into ING. As for transfer it won't be a HUGE amount of money, but enough to get by when we do arrive until we get settled, bank account, work etc and so on.  

School wow Sept? (There's something that totally left my post U.K brain) Yikes oh well cross that Bridge when we get to it, I suppose it will be no different to me starting school here all those years ago, with enrolling and starting a bit late.

NI wasn't aware of the catching up via work experience, good to know!  

Renting I did think it would be better to be there unless I can get a friend/family to do it for me, so either that or doing as you say was my plan anyway, just wasn't sure if there were any other ways i may not have thought about. 

I shall also reassess whether it is worth taking some stuff over. Movecube, got it! 

Exciting 😄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

It is overwhelming, isn't it?    You'll get there, just take it one thing at a time.   Some answers:

Please don't even try to secure a rental before you get there.  You (or a trusted friend) HAVE to see the place, as adverts can be very very very misleading.   Book an Airbnb or a holiday home for three or four weeks instead.  When you find a long-term rental, you'll be asked to pay six months rent upfront.   If you're currently renting in Australia, get a written reference from your landlord to take with you.

New school year starts in September.

Money - DO NOT close your Australian bank accounts, because it does take time to get your British bank accounts fully set up ( you can open an account on the day you arrive, but it was about three weeks before I could get any money out, and my husband's took six weeks). 

The easiest option is to change banks in Australia now (it's not as hard as you think).   Move to ING Bank and get yourself an ING Everyday account with a debit card. Their exchange rates are pretty good and there are no fees to withdraw money from  ATM's or pay for goods while you're overseas, so you can use it just like you would at home.   That way there's no drama if the UK bank process takes time.

If you have a large amount of money to transfer, consider using Moneycorp or Transferwise - you transfer the money to their account and it then sits there safely until you can transfer it to your UK account.

You'll get a NI number when you get there.   Once you've got it, you can claim any work experience in Australia up till 2001 towards your balance. In your case that won't be many years but every little helps!  You could also enquire about back-paying missing years, but do check whether it's going to be worth it.

I'd suggest rethinking the shipping.  Look into getting a Movecube - the small one works out cheaper than sending a few boxes, and the larger ones hold a lot.   Maybe your furniture is too old to take, but it's well worth taking ALL the small stuff.   Do a trial shop on UK websites like Dunelm.com for all your pots, pans, crockery, cutlery, kitchen utensils, bowls, Tupperware, bedlinen, towels, doonas, pillows, etc and see what it comes to!   We've all accumulated that stuff slowly so we don't realise how much it costs - I know I was shocked.  And it's not just the cost, it's the time it takes to shop for it all, at a time when you've just arrived in a new country and you already have a thousand other things to do.

You cannot get your NI history credited for years prior to 2001 if you did not have a NI number when you left.  It will start from when you actually get your NI number - you also will not be able to purchase years for the same reason.  Make sure you know how you will be able to fund your retirement.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, CJT said:

You cannot get your NI history credited for years prior to 2001 if you did not have a NI number when you left.  It will start from when you actually get your NI number - you also will not be able to purchase years for the same reason.  Make sure you know how you will be able to fund your retirement.

Oh drat yes, you are right, I was forgetting about that. 

To the OP - you won't be able to cash in your superannuation, you'll have to leave it in Australia until you reach retirement age. That's not a problem as it will go on earning income. Then when you retire, you can convert it to a pension.  You won't be able to take a lump sum because the British taxman will take a big chunk of it if you do. 

Important - enquire with your superannuation fund about insurances. If you want to keep the insurance, ask them whether it will cover you when you're living permanently overseas.  If they say it does, then make sure you get that in writing, in case they try to fob you off later!   Usually, the insurances become invalid if you relocate permanently, and the person you talk to on the phone probably doesn't really know.

If you don't want to keep the insurances, or they won't be valid, then write to your superannuation company when you're ready to leave, advising that you are no longer resident in Australia and wish to cancel all insurance. Make sure you get an acknowledgment. It will save you a bundle in fees.

Lastly, make sure you're in a good superannuation fund. A lot of the big ones are total rip-off merchants.  Also make sure it's all in one fund. 

I was just checking the NI stuff, I definitely wouldn't have one (Mum does) as from what I read they automatically issue you one 3 months prior to your 16th Birthday. DOH! Oh well it will work out in the wash. As for Aussie super due to the shit luck i mentioned in Original post, i had to withdraw mine for hardship reasons back in the day, so there isn't much left in it anyway as I have been a stay at home mum until recently. But I do have savings AND I do have assets to sell, so that is where my funding is coming from. 

I hope you have a lot of savings and assets because this move will be very costly.

You haven’t mentioned working or getting a job.  Presumably your mum will take care of the kids while you are working.  Access to benefits will be difficult for a while and the lack of a credit rating might encourage you towards predatory sub-prime lending at extortionate rates.  Be wary.

Southern England (Christchurch) is generally expensive for rents etc and local jobs are at a premium with London being the prime location for work hence many commute there from across the south.  Public transport is generally good but expensive.

Your mum’s aged pension may be restricted so you will be supporting her and your children.  You will also struggle to build up a suitable pension and may have to continue working well into your 70s.  Hopefully not a prospect that bothers you......but personally I would hate it.

It does sound as if you are desperate to go so good luck.

9 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I hope you have a lot of savings and assets because this move will be very costly.

You haven’t mentioned working or getting a job.  Presumably your mum will take care of the kids while you are working.  Access to benefits will be difficult for a while and the lack of a credit rating might encourage you towards predatory sub-prime lending at extortionate rates.  Be wary.

Southern England (Christchurch) is generally expensive for rents etc and local jobs are at a premium with London being the prime location for work hence many commute there from across the south.  Public transport is generally good but expensive.

Your mum’s aged pension may be restricted so you will be supporting her and your children.  You will also struggle to build up a suitable pension and may have to continue working well into your 70s.  Hopefully not a prospect that bothers you......but personally I would hate it.

It does sound as if you are desperate to go so good luck.

Mums not retired yet, she's not that old. I have also mentioned plans to work I have no intention of going home to claim benefits(Wouldn't be able to anyway I'd assume there is  few years you have to wait like Aus) . I do have savings, and the funds for the move and mum does too. 

I was just reading on the NI information that as long as I work for at least 10 years then the state pension is a thing. I'm only 41, PLENTY of working years left in me yet and definitely more than 10, I'm pretty sure mum still has her Prudential pension or whatever you call it, bit like aussie super? that she had before we moved here as well.  My kids are old enough now to look after themselves so that's not an issue anymore. Mum worked from the age of 16 in the U.K all the way to 30 or however old she was when we left.  So my plan basically is move, get a job, get the kids into school, work my arse off save more, and yeah all will be ok. 🙂 

Also I'm debt free and not a sucker for cash day loans 😉 

Edited by Vickie78
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, Vickie78 said:

Mums not retired yet, she's not that old. I have also mentioned plans to work I have no intention of going home to claim benefits(Wouldn't be able to anyway I'd assume there is  few years you have to wait like Aus) . I do have savings, and the funds for the move and mum does too. 

I was just reading on the NI information that as long as I work for at least 10 years then the state pension is a thing. I'm only 41, PLENTY of working years left in me yet and definitely more than 10, I'm pretty sure mum still has her Prudential pension or whatever you call it, bit like aussie super? that she had before we moved here as well.  My kids are old enough now to look after themselves so that's not an issue anymore. Mum worked from the age of 16 in the U.K all the way to 30 or however old she was when we left.  So my plan basically is move, get a job, get the kids into school, work my arse off save more, and yeah all will be ok. 🙂 

Your entitlement to the UK pension will be based on years of NI contributions - the maximum you can get is 36 years which would give you the full state pension.   If you get 25 years of contributions then you will get 25/36 or 70% of around £150pw.  This would be the maximum UK state pension you can get.  Your mum should be able to purchase some years to fill gaps - and she might be able to do this at a reduced rate as she was overseas.  If she can get the state pension from Aus BEFORE she leaves she will be able to get that paid to her when she lives in the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vickie78 said:

Mums not retired yet, she's not that old....

I was just reading on the NI information that as long as I work for at least 10 years then the state pension is a thing. I'm only 41, PLENTY of working years left in me yet and definitely more than 10, I'm pretty sure mum still has her Prudential pension or whatever you call it, bit like aussie super? that she had before we moved here as well. .... Mum worked from the age of 16 in the U.K all the way to 30 or however old she was when we left.  

How old is your Mum?  Potential snag:  if she moves to the UK before she's entitled to the Australian govt pension, she will never get it. Ever.  

She will be entitled to some British pension and (unlike you) can do the "claiming work years before 2001" thing.  She could also pay extra NI contributions to top it up to the maximum. 

Same advice as you regarding her super. 

2 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Southern England (Christchurch) is generally expensive for rents etc and local jobs are at a premium with London being the prime location for work hence many commute there from across the south.  

This is true.  We were there a couple of years ago and I was stunned at the number of people who were commuting all the way from Bournemouth to London.   Zoopla is a good site to check out rentals. 

Southampton is one of the few areas which is reasonably priced but there is a reason for that - a large chav (bogan) population.  Anyone who can afford it lives in the outlying villages, but we are big-city people so village life didn't appeal to us.   If it appeals to you, that might be an option as there is work in Southampton and some of the villages are very nice. The traffic is dreadful, though, because everyone is commuting all the time!

• Like 1

I'm not planning on moving  to Christchurch was just where I lived pre Australia, hence the background Info. As for Pension, not really a game changer for me, like I said we have savings, mum has her stuff so she is fine, I have plenty of working years left plenty of time to save and get on with life, and well my kids are young enough to get ahead.  I'm not going to rely on a pension even at max rate it's pittance well in Australia at least.  So I'm not going to not go to the U.K just because I might not get a full pension. 

Where we would move too, not sure yet, still researching all that stuff. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Vickie78 said:

I'm not planning on moving  to Christchurch was just where I lived pre Australia, hence the background Info. As for Pension, not really a game changer for me, like I said we have savings, mum has her stuff so she is fine, I have plenty of working years left plenty of time to save and get on with life, and well my kids are young enough to get ahead.  I'm not going to rely on a pension even at max rate it's pittance well in Australia at least.  So I'm not going to not go to the U.K just because I might not get a full pension. 

I would suggest that this might be your most crucial question now.

Housing availability and costs vary massively and are highest where the most and best jobs and schools are.

It will also greatly influence the quality of life you can afford.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vickie78 said:

I'm not going to not go to the U.K just because I might not get a full pension. 

You'll get plenty of people warning you not to go back for financial reasons - but in the end, you've got to live where your heart is.    Australia could be an absolute paradise but if it doesn't feel like "home", there's no point in staying - you'll just end up miserable in your old age.   Money isn't everything.

The south of England is pretty much a write-off because everywhere within two hours of London has become so expensive.  People like the idea of being close to the beaches and accessible to London.  In your shoes I'd be looking northwards.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Vickie78 said:

10 years is the minimum work period and would get you a third of the full pension of around 160 pounds a week at todays rate, you have to have 30 years in for a full OAP 

I don't actually know what happens today to top up your pension if you fall short on your eligible years.

If your mothers pension was invested in the right fund it may have grown, my wifes has, from about 2500 in 2003 to around 18000 now which will give her a pension in the hundreds per year if she takes  it at age 63, I think.

You may want to do a little more investigation about rents, cost of housing, cost of transport, levels of pay for jobs, difficulty of renting in the UK, cost of housing disparities between north and south, ease of getting jobs for you and your children in the future.

The UK is a austere and not very friendly place today with very few benefits and poor quality costly services after 10 years of austerity, I would do a lot of investigating before giving up on 20 years of accrued benefits in Australia, especially the State pension scheme there, care for the elderly and the medicare system.

12 hours ago, Vickie78 said:

4. My eldest being 12 would be starting High School next year, if we move before then when would new High school year start in U.K? Jan like Aus?  I have searched and see that year levels/ages are similar to Aus. 

Hi Vickie if your eldest is already 12 then they would be starting there 2nd year in high school this September in the UK. I think Aus is a year behind the UK in when they start school.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

10 years is the minimum work period and would get you a third of the full pension of around 160 pounds a week at todays rate, you have to have 30 years in for a full OAP 

I don't actually know what happens today to top up your pension if you fall short on your eligible years.

If your mothers pension was invested in the right fund it may have grown, my wifes has, from about 2500 in 2003 to around 18000 now which will give her a pension in the hundreds per year if she takes  it at age 63, I think.

You may want to do a little more investigation about rents, cost of housing, cost of transport, levels of pay for jobs, difficulty of renting in the UK, cost of housing disparities between north and south, ease of getting jobs for you and your children in the future.

The UK is a austere and not very friendly place today with very few benefits and poor quality costly services after 10 years of austerity, I would do a lot of investigating before giving up on 20 years of accrued benefits in Australia, especially the State pension scheme there, care for the elderly and the medicare system.

Sorry you have to have 35 years in for a full pension

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension

3 hours ago, Melbpom said:

Just curious, what happens when people don't have enough NI contributions for a pension? Surely there's a government benefit of some kind?

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/

And retirement age now for a woman is 67/68, so no pension till then, other benefits are all means tested.

14 hours ago, Vickie78 said:

Hello, 

Quick background : In 1992 Mum decided to join our small family in Melbourne Australia so we emigrated much to my then 14 year old annoyance and fast forward to my 20's met a man had two children, separated last year. I'm now 41 and my kids are 11 and 12. Dad has no issue with me taking the Kids to the U.K will sign whatever needs to be signed to comply with the laws(one of my questions will be below). I have 100% care etc. Mum has always wanted to return too, but has held off because until recently I wasn't in the position to return as had a partner and I was the only reason she stuck around. So now I/we are ready, and my kids think it's a fab idea, and with Mum I wanting to go we are more than ready in terms of the actual decision. We have both never felt at home here and have had our fair share of shit luck. So.... questions I have are

1. With regards to the Kids passport applications I understand I also need a letter of consent from their dad, now do I just write this up and get him to sign it? Is there a template? Does it just have to state he is their dad, their names, that he agrees for them to travel to the U.K on a permanent basis? 

2. We won't be shipping anything, just taking clothes/important docs etc. 

3. Not sure at this point if we'd be able to stay with anyone on arrival so what would be the best way to secure a rental from Overseas, with no credit rating as we haven't been in the U.K for over 20 years I understand that rent would have to be paid in advance? Which wouldn't be an issue. What sort of areas would be good for both schools and not too expensive rent? (I used to live in Christchurch, Dorset) 

5. Money, what's the best way to take it to the U.K can we arrive with some cash? Transfer the rest? I have read that if you open an account you can't touch it for weeks? Keep it in Aus? 

6. National Insurance, As I moved here when I was 14 and haven't worked in the U.K I don't even think I have a number? as for contributions what the hell do I do there? Can I top it up, once I get a job in the U.K? 

Anything else you can think of that I may need to know? The packing and getting on the plane isn't an issue, just all the other stuff Is drowning my thought process. 

Thank you for reading 🙂

Hi, I was originally from West London but moved back to Cheshire last June. Depending on what you do for a job there are some nice parts in the north of England that are much cheaper than the south. Roads a bit less clogged than the south and people have been very friendly.

I loaded up a Westpac global currency card with some GBP so I had some money whilst I sorted out a UK account. My UK drivers license still had my aunts address so used that to get stuff posted to so got my bank card pretty quickly. Halifax were very helpful in this respect and offered me a mortgage on arrival as I had a  job offer. 

Marisa wright above usually advises people to change the address on your Australian bank or credit card to a friend or relatives address in the uk and get a statement posted out so you have some address id when you arrive. Should speed things up for you if you can arrange that. Don’t put “care of” just put it as your address.

Not that well up on pensions but my aussie super is still growing in its account ready for me to take it sometime after 60. I had some NI years in the uk from before I left and will make the 35 years needed by the time I reach 67! I’m pretty low maintenance so don’t need much to live on. 😀

All the best with your move. Oh, also I moved some stuff in a movecube and very glad I did,  pain in the bum replacing everything . I didn’t bring furniture as mine was all clapped out or too big. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lavers said:

Hi Vickie if your eldest is already 12 then they would be starting there 2nd year in high school this September in the UK. I think Aus is a year behind the UK in when they start school.

That's fine, I actually held him back when he started school here as that was the advice given for Boys... Stupidly though I realise now as he is well above his peers academically so if we were to move to the U.K I have no doubt he would slot in nicely so don't think that would be an issue. 

11 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

I have plenty options from what I have been researching within my Budget, even in the south. I'd happily pay 6 months or a year up front, so again not an issue.  As I'm only 41, I still have a good 30+ years of work left in me. That's why I am of the mindset of both starting fresh back at home, while I'm still young enough to do so as I really don't want to be stuck in hell for another 30 odd years. Now that I have no ties here what is the point? I want my kids to have a better education than Australia and more opportunity not only with education, but jobs and travel. 

People keep going on about the Pension, but I have savings, I have the capacity to work and save more, and hopefully invest one day once everything is sorted and back on track. I'm not planning to move to the U.K and sit on my arse doing nothing.  I have also read that once you are working you can do voluntary contributions? But whatever. So if I don't get the full Pension, or only a % of it I plan to top it up per say by having Savings etc to fall back on.  Australian Pension is pittance, medicare is good yes, but elderly care is also terrible, I watched my Grandma go through all of that. Horrible. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vickie78 said:

I have plenty options from what I have been researching within my Budget, even in the south. I'd happily pay 6 months or a year up front, so again not an issue.  As I'm only 41, I still have a good 30+ years of work left in me. That's why I am of the mindset of both starting fresh back at home, while I'm still young enough to do so as I really don't want to be stuck in hell for another 30 odd years. Now that I have no ties here what is the point? I want my kids to have a better education than Australia and more opportunity not only with education, but jobs and travel. 

People keep going on about the Pension, but I have savings, I have the capacity to work and save more, and hopefully invest one day once everything is sorted and back on track. I'm not planning to move to the U.K and sit on my arse doing nothing.  I have also read that once you are working you can do voluntary contributions? But whatever. So if I don't get the full Pension, or only a % of it I plan to top it up per say by having Savings etc to fall back on.  Australian Pension is pittance, medicare is good yes, but elderly care is also terrible, I watched my Grandma go through all of that. Horrible. 

You seem to have the right mindset.  😀  

Sorry you have had such a bad time here but I wish you and your family all the best when you get back to the UK.

• Like 4