Shipping/removal of our furniture to Australia

Sarah2019

My partner and I are moving back to Australia at the end of this year and are a bit overwhelmed with the choice of shipping/removals companies available online. Moving from Birmingham, UK to Adelaide, SA. Has anyone had a great experience with a removal company that they would be happy to recommend? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Sarah, we are moving to Adelaide in October from Leicestershire and using robinsons relocation, fingers crossed they will work out ok, have all the right accreditations and good reviews. 

We are wrapping & packing ourselves to save money,  although struggling a little now to get insurance sorted because of this and the fact we will have to load from a storage yard. @vickyplum who did you do insurance with??

15 hours ago, Lauraloz said:

Hey Sarah, we are moving to Adelaide in October from Leicestershire and using robinsons relocation, fingers crossed they will work out ok, have all the right accreditations and good reviews. 

We are wrapping & packing ourselves to save money,  although struggling a little now to get insurance sorted because of this and the fact we will have to load from a storage yard. @vickyplum who did you do insurance with??

Try Letton Percival. They are used by quite a few on this site we used them for cover for our Movecube earlier in the year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

We're another family from the Midlands making the move to Adelaide - We're near Stafford.....just accepted an offer on our house so hoping to be in Oz by the end of October

I've been putting off the whole shipping thing but it's about time we started getting serious I guess.

We are a family of four (although kids are only 2 & 3 so not too much that we'll need to take for them) 

Trying to get a rough idea - I looked at some online calculators who said c£5K for a 3 bedroomed house? To be honest, we'll be taking less than that as leaving sofa's/mattresses, wardrobes.

The movecubes looked to be around £2K but a bit unclear what the add-ons mounted up to.

Interested to keep an eye on the thread and will share anything we find out too.

• Congratulations 1

We have just used Robinsons from UK to sydney. We have used them previously (ping pong poems!) and found them excellent. We have a 5 bed house but decided not to move most of the furniture although the kids (7&8) had lots of toys so settled on a sole use 20 ft container. This was £4.6k and took the stress away of what we could/couldn't bring. Also, furniture is quite expensive in Australia so whilst we didn't ship sofa or dining chairs, we did ship beds (not mattresses) and dining table. We used Letton Percival for insurance too and they have been excellent so far. We were packed up 2 days ago and currently "camping" until we fly!

IMG_3508.JPG

Edited by sarah123
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for everyones suggestions, it's so helpful to hear how others are tackling the big move. I'm in the process of getting a quote from Robinson's as a couple of you have mentioned them. We have had quotes from ReloUK and iMove International, very friendly & professional on the emails and competitive in price, however the reviews for both are a real mixed bag from very positive to a total horror stories. 

Looking forward to hearing back from Robinson's as their online reviews seem to be very positive.

7 hours ago, Sarah2019 said:

Thanks for everyones suggestions, it's so helpful to hear how others are tackling the big move. I'm in the process of getting a quote from Robinson's as a couple of you have mentioned them. We have had quotes from ReloUK and iMove International, very friendly & professional on the emails and competitive in price, however the reviews for both are a real mixed bag from very positive to a total horror stories. 

Looking forward to hearing back from Robinson's as their online reviews seem to be very positive.

What you need to remember is that many of these are franchises.  So the service isn’t always consistent. Ask the same questions to each and don’t just pick the cheapest.  Ask

How long before it will be shipped

Can I have the shipping schedule, and can I pick a ship/route (will alter the cost)

Exactly what is included.  Packing/unpacking, dismantling furniture/building furniture, packing material, door to door delivery (although this will be a standard price if at either end it isn’t a standard job extra will be charged (high floor, can’t get container near etc)

I had one quote cheaper than the others but when I checked it would have taken an extra 6 weeks at least.  I paid a bit more for a more direct ship.  I also got them to pick up just in time so we were without stuff for less time (it was over Christmas).

On 15/07/2019 at 23:50, DukeNinja said:

+1 for MoveCube. Nothing was broken.

Can you tell me what size your move cube was and how big.  We're moving in January and have lots of clothes , pictures, files ,lamps. No furniture so trying to work out what we might take and what to leave based on size and cost 

6 hours ago, Cityjune said:

Can you tell me what size your move cube was and how big.  We're moving in January and have lots of clothes , pictures, files ,lamps. No furniture so trying to work out what we might take and what to leave based on size and cost 

Hey. So we used a large movecube. It cost us £809 to send, and $903.10 to receive it at the other end.

I've attached some photos of how we filled it, and also of our inventory of what was in there.

It left us on the 7th of July, and arrived on the 25th of September, door to door.

Hope this helps.

movecube.jpg

IMG_20170707_110022991.jpg

movecubelist.png

movecubelist2.png

• Like 1