Life in Australia

Tom barratt

Hello/good morning 

sorry gona have to excuse me but have never been on one ov these forums before, me and family are in proses ov visas to move from uk to Queensland area. I was just hoping for sum ex uk trowels to give a heads up on things that are noticeably different over there, lol except the obvious sunshine🙌🏻

6 hours ago, Tom barratt said:

Hello/good morning 

sorry gona have to excuse me but have never been on one ov these forums before, me and family are in proses ov visas to move from uk to Queensland area. I was just hoping for sum ex uk trowels to give a heads up on things that are noticeably different over there, lol except the obvious sunshine🙌🏻

I have moved your post to its own thread and to a section that will get a better response 

There are a number of differences but they also vary from State to State.  "Australia", like the USA is a franchise as much as a country. 

The most noticeable thing is the level of bureaucracy in Australia compared to the UK.  But again, this does also vary from State to State. 

Energy costs are higher, petrol costs less but car "rego" is more which evens itself out compared to the UK.  Medicare is not the NHS and even though it covers a GP visit (you pay the GP fee, Medicare refunds most - not all - of the cost, unless you find a bulk bill GP) but you will need Health Insurance which is most cases covers just about everything else, including optitians, dentist and even in some cases massage! 

20 hours ago, Tom barratt said:

Hello/good morning 

Good luck with your move!

There’s a thread at the top of this forum called ‘ Living in Australia-  what you need to know’. There’s all sorts of information in there about the sorts of things that might confuse you when you arrive!

It very much depends on whether you are going troppo or just to the Brisbane area. Different attitudes really to what you might have experienced before. Wonderful wildlife etc up there but most of the locals just take it all for granted and don't get it when you pause to look at a parrot or something. We find that is particularly so in Queensland for some reason. I personally think people are more friendly here than in the UK but that is just my experience.

• Like 1