143 Contributory Parent visa

Rasel Ali

Hi All,

Can the medicals and police checks be done "On-Shore" for an application that was made off-shore? 

I was wondering if my parent's are here on a holiday when the case officer asks for this information, can they just do all of it from here in AUS rather than go back overseas.

I understand that they will need to leave the country before the visa is approval. 

3 hours ago, cfernandes said:

Hi All,

Can the medicals and police checks be done "On-Shore" for an application that was made off-shore? 

I was wondering if my parent's are here on a holiday when the case officer asks for this information, can they just do all of it from here in AUS rather than go back overseas.

I understand that they will need to leave the country before the visa is approval. 

10 years ago when my mum was here she did hers onshore ok. She just went offshore for the visa grant. As far as I am aware that it still the case. Only have to be offshore for visa grant. 

Hi All,

Our case was slightly different as we were on the pathway 143 and already live in Australia and don’t have to go offshore for grant. We had our medicals in Brisbane recently at the dedicated BUPA medical centre, we asked if we had to inform our CO. we were told the results go directly from them to our CO, so obviously I can’t say for sure, but the system is in place to keep the CO informed of your medical results.

1 hour ago, Amber Snowball said:

10 years ago when my mum was here she did hers onshore ok. She just went offshore for the visa grant. As far as I am aware that it still the case. Only have to be offshore for visa grant. 

Thanks Amber. I will try to call the department to ask them and confirm. 

40 minutes ago, ramot said:

Our case was slightly different as we were on the pathway 143 and already live in Australia and don’t have to go offshore for grant. We had our medicals in Brisbane recently at the dedicated BUPA medical centre, we asked if we had to inform our CO. we were told the results go directly from them to our CO, so obviously I can’t say for sure, but the system is in place to keep the CO informed of your medical results.

Hi Ramot. Thank you very much for that insight. Can you please share how recently was this. If possible would you be able to share the timeline for your parents case. 

On 26/04/2019 at 00:36, SusieRoo said:

In our Contributory Parent category there was 48,595 applicants as of 30th June 2018 and there was 6,015 visas granted that year. And it’s my assumption this will have now increased to over 50,000 with the planning levels reduced for 2019-20. So for anyone applying now (if nothing changes) it will take around 10 years to be processed.

IMMI is currently processing up to July 2015 and the queue has been moving about 4 months forward each year. So if this stays the same, you will have 4 years still to wait. But there is some speculation that processing has slowed recently due to problems at Centrelink and if this gets fixed, processing may speed up.

Where can we find the information on the queue size and the annual visas limit granted each year. Please provide a link if you have one.

2 hours ago, minisb23 said:

Where can we find the information on the queue size and the annual visas limit granted each year. Please provide a link if you have one.

This is the official report as at 30 June last year.  Details for parent visas are on page 17.   Not sure when the new report to 30 June 2019 will be published.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/research-and-stats/files/report-migration-program-2017-18.pdf

• Like 1

The end of year reports are published around November each year.

It will be interesting to see how many 143/173 parent visas were issued in 2018/19. I think it may be well down on previous years, possibly around 4500.

Edited by SusieRoo

Hi Ramot. Thank you very much for that insight. Can you please share how recently was this. If possible would you be able to share the timeline for your parents case. 

The 143 was for my husband and me. We had our medical in March. Our time line doesn’t really count as we weren’t on the usual 143. The pathway 143 is only for applicants who have lived in Australia on the old 410 and 405 retirement visas, and we don’t have to go offshore for the visa to be granted.

1 hour ago, SusieRoo said:

The end of year reports are published around November each year.

It will be interesting to see how many 143/173 parent visas were issued in 2018/19. I think it may be well down on previous years, possibly around 4500.

Sadly I agree with you but I’m hoping the figure to be more like 5100 - just a guess! Still means a very long wait for most of us here. If there were “only”  28k in queue  in 2015 and it’s taking approx 4 years  for the grants to come through now for that year, then with a queue of approx 50k for 2018 plus a reduction by the govt in actual visas granted  from c 7000 to  6000,  you’re looking at a wait of about 8 years for 2018 applicants.  

• Like 1

Use this but just change the years  to search

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/research-and-stats/files/report-migration-program-2017-18.pdf

the figures only come out annually 

173, 143 and 864 are all contributory parent visas and are lumped in together in the figures quoted. 143 can take longer as there is AOS to consider which has recently been taking quite a long time . 864 used to be quicker but has recently been drawing out to similar times. It’s also an onshore application which generated a bridging visa -  and there’s a feeling Australia is looking at bridging visas quite closely as they feel there are too many of them  and some posters wonder if they may stop this visa 

On 6 July 2019 at 15:09, LindaH27 said:

Immi will give you a end date to enter Australia to validate your visa but this could just be a visit! You have 5 years to take up permanent residence. 

Thanks for the reply. ( I think it was in response to my question but I may have posted in the wrong place!)

Hi, was wondering if anyone had any experience with the sponsor eligibility criteria. My wife is looking to sponsor her parents, on the eligibility form, it asks us if we have had in the last two years Newstart/paid parenting etc.

We had paid parenting & newstart for four weeks about a year ago due to the business I was working for going bankrupt whilst my wife was on unpaid maternity leave. Except for those 4 weeks been in full time employment since arriving in Australia, but we are worried that in-laws application might be screwed over by those 4 weeks.

TIA

I’m not sure but I think immi require two years financial details which are on your tax returns. 

I think as long as you meet the “annual” requirement you should be ok but I’m sure other posters who have done this will pop in and help! 

Hi I have applied for visa 143 for my parents in May 2016, does anyone know when we should be expecting our case to be assigned to an officer? Back then the processing time was 33months and it has been 38months since we have applied.

Hi, 

my mum and husband have applied for this visa and have just been told they are not eligible but we believe it is incorrect?

she has daughter citizen of Oz

daughter and son  permanent resident of oz

then 2 daughters residents of NZ and 1 in uk

i have looked and looked at the criteria and really believe they qualify, but immigration saying now everyone in Oz must be citizens? Can anyone advise or help? Am I wrong? 

Thanks 

7 minutes ago, MelPat said:

Hi, 

my mum and husband have applied for this visa and have just been told they are not eligible but we believe it is incorrect?

she has daughter citizen of Oz

daughter and son  permanent resident of oz

then 2 daughters residents of NZ and 1 in uk

i have looked and looked at the criteria and really believe they qualify, but immigration saying now everyone in Oz must be citizens? Can anyone advise or help? Am I wrong? 

Thanks 

I dont think they need to be citizens but should have been here a certain amount of time.  

Edited by AJ