Recommend stopovers for quick family holiday

Dec05

Hi all,

We will be flying back to UK for a few weeks in September and I'd like to grab a few days for a family holiday on the way back to Oz.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a family with 3 pre teens ?

Seems a shame to fly around the world and not grab the chance! I'm just not sure where to start looking really so would love to hear what others have done.

TIA

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dec05 said:

Hi all,

We will be flying back to UK for a few weeks in September and I'd like to grab a few days for a family holiday on the way back to Oz.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a family with 3 pre teens ?

Seems a shame to fly around the world and not grab the chance! I'm just not sure where to start looking really so would love to hear what others have done.

TIA

Singapore every time, lots to do Sentosa Island, Jurong bird park, night safari at the zoo. Google Singapore attractions, the downside is the heat and humidity. 

• Like 1

Depends which way you go.

Flying round the back would usually mean Air NZ.Auckland is very nice,choice of Tahiti ( give it a miss really overated),Hawaii ,Los Angeles for Disneyland,Universal studios etc.

Just reread the post,a few days.Around the world flights can be cheap,Los Angeles going to the UK and Singapore or Hong Kong coming back.2 or 3 days outbound to break the journey,same coming back.

We go next month,Perth,Singapore,UK,Hong Kong,Perth.Retired so a week in Sin and then a week in H/K.

Webjet $1450 for the flights with Qantas,Brit airways,Cathay Pacific on code share.

Hotels through booking.com I think.

• Like 1

Hadn't considered round the world tickets - haven't looked into them yet really.

It's first trip back since moving to Oz so every one will be keen to see family friends etc so we will be doing the holiday stop over bit on the return leg. It might help with the trauma of getting back on the plane 🙄

Kids would love Florida of course.

On 25/04/2019 at 17:46, JetBlast said:

If you go to Singapore I would do it from Australia to the UK. The time difference isn't as big so you won't feel the jet lag like you would in the other direction.

Are you sure you have that the right way round 

In general leave Singapore midnight,land LHR 7 am .

14 hour flight minus 7 hr time difference.

Coming back leave LHR evening, say 18.00,arrive Singapore 21 hrs later,15.00 the next afternoon. 14 hrs plus the 7 hour time difference.

Going around the back is a killer,leave eastern states,arrive LAX around 3 -  4 hours before you left Australia.Crossing the date line as you cross Cooke Islands etc.

Coming back that way,take a few birthday cakes,seems to take years before you get back to Australia 

For cheap hotels in Singapore try staying just over the border in Malaysia.Cross the road almost and you are in Singapore on their transport systems,and around 20 mins from the airport.

Did a lot of round the world tickets in 1970s and 80s.Backpacking habits die hard.

Dreading UK to hong Kong leg,last time I will ever get back to the UK.

• Like 1

I am not sure what part of Australia the OP is from but lets just say Sydney for arguments sake.

The time in Singapore is now 23:10 and the time in Sydney is 01:10. A difference of 2 hours.

The time in London is now 16:10 a difference of 7 hours.

So for jet lag and your body clock the smaller time difference is better. So going to Singapore on the way to the UK will be better than coming back - you will get to enjoy your holiday more.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2019 at 01:13, JetBlast said:

I am not sure what part of Australia the OP is from but lets just say Sydney for arguments sake.

The time in Singapore is now 23:10 and the time in Sydney is 01:10. A difference of 2 hours.

The time in London is now 16:10 a difference of 7 hours.

So for jet lag and your body clock the smaller time difference is better. So going to Singapore on the way to the UK will be better than coming back - you will get to enjoy your holiday more.

You're right, but assuming you have to come back to Australia from the UK and then go straight back to work/school, a few nights in Singapore can make all the difference where it doesn't matter if you sleep late/stay up late.  As you say, it's only a few hours difference to Australia but a big leap forward from UK time.  Also nice to wake up at any time and find something to do all day/night with the hotels being geared up to people coming from anywhere at all times.

Going straight through to the UK does mean you're a bit muddled for the first few days, but i generally find if i'm staying with family etc then it doesn't matter if you fall asleep in the middle of the afternoon.

Edited by Slean Wolfhead
  • Like 1

Yes, we are in Sydney. Definitely want to the have the holiday part on the return leg to Oz.

This is our first trip back since we moved to Sydney 2 years ago so a few relaxing 'holiday' days en route back to Sydney might help with the inevitable turmoil 🙄

• 1 month later...
On 04/05/2019 at 02:04, Dec05 said:

Yes, we are in Sydney. Definitely want to the have the holiday part on the return leg to Oz.

This is our first trip back since we moved to Sydney 2 years ago so a few relaxing 'holiday' days en route back to Sydney might help with the inevitable turmoil 🙄

On the return leg back to Australia now,sitting in Heathrow.

Don' t do the Malaysia cheap hotel thing.Border crossing is much more difficult than it was when I was younger.

Look at Clarke quay on booking .com for Singapore,some very good and reasonable hotels there.

No change given on the bus in Singapore so have plenty S$2 notes.

Underground is brilliant,Raffles,Sentosa,Chinatown etc all around S$2 fares.

Train from the airport to basically any where is S$ 3.50.All the public transport people are very helpful,go out of their way to help you.

Take the kids to Tiger Balm gardens,free entry,underground station right next to it.They' ll love all the statues and Chinese horror things.Paw Boon gardens or some thing like that,the people that invented Tiger Balm.Their gift to the people of Singapore.On the west coast highway,just off it actually.

Very impressed by Singapore.Cycle friendly so going back later this year to cycle around Singapore.

Now the dreaded long haul to Hong Kong to get there around 14.00 tomorrow H K time.Out of Heathrow tonight UK time at 18.40