AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

22 hours ago, Ausa0000 said:

Usually most background checks are processed and completed before applicants take the test, but when an applicant reschedules their test date to a much earlier date these checks are often not even started yet by the time the applicant takes their test. This explains why they wouldn't yet be able to approve this type of application. The department cannot plan for an applicant who reschedules their test earlier.

I’m not 100% sure that’s correct. Just my experience - 

My partner and I both shifted our test appointments to dates much earlier than originally issued. My partner still received approval immediately (or within about 2 hours of her test appointment), whereas mine took a couple of weeks.

Also, while talking to the CO in my interview I offered a recent hard copy police certificate I had in hand. The CO explained to me how they couldn’t accept it, as they triggered the digital check through their system there and then, and actually talked me through the fact that they were doing it whilst I was sat across the desk from them.

Might just have been my experience, but it makes sense to me that they’d progress with a police check once the interview step was cleared.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, millski88 said:

I’m not 100% sure that’s correct. Just my experience - 

My partner and I both shifted our test appointments to dates much earlier than originally issued. My partner still received approval immediately (or within about 2 hours of her test appointment), whereas mine took a couple of weeks.

Also, while talking to the CO in my interview I offered a recent hard copy police certificate I had in hand. The CO explained to me how they couldn’t accept it, as they triggered the digital check through their system there and then, and actually talked me through the fact that they were doing it whilst I was sat across the desk from them.

Might just have been my experience, but it makes sense to me that they’d progress with a police check once the interview step was cleared.

You are correct regarding the Australian Police check. This is indeed only run by the department during or after the interview and test. I should have clarified that by background checks I mean more of the integrity screening and biometric checks to makes sure you are who you and your documents say you are. Most of these types of checks I believe are done before an applicant sits a test and this is why most applicants receive requests for further documents most often before they sit the test. One thing that supposedly can really delay approval is if you have traveled overseas considerably to many different nations, as someone stated they do checks with all the various nations you have traveled to. Who knows if this is correct or not.

I guess individual approval times may vary from person to person depending on the complexity of the case, but you would think they would follow a set process. If you have cleared all checks including the Aussie police check and have sat the test, there should be no reason why you shouldn't be approved unless they simply want to intentionally cause processing delays as some sort of deterrent to those thinking about applying for citizenship.

It seems like it would be a good idea to streamline the process and perform all checks before one sits a test and then have you sit the test as a final step where you would then on the same day get approved and say your pledge in the office where you take the test. I don't quite see why the local councils have to get involved in dealing with ceremonies. It's not only a cost to taxpayers but also takes away resources and government workers time to arrange ceremonies, not to mention adding substantial delays to our processing.

That's my rant for the day. lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ausa0000 said:

You are correct regarding the Australian Police check. This is indeed only run by the department during or after the interview and test. I should have clarified that by background checks I mean more of the integrity screening and biometric checks to makes sure you are who you and your documents say you are. Most of these types of checks I believe are done before an applicant sits a test and this is why most applicants receive requests for further documents most often before they sit the test. One thing that supposedly can really delay approval is if you have traveled overseas considerably to many different nations, as someone stated they do checks with all the various nations you have traveled to. Who knows if this is correct or not.

I guess individual approval times may vary from person to person depending on the complexity of the case, but you would think they would follow a set process. If you have cleared all checks including the Aussie police check and have sat the test, there should be no reason why you shouldn't be approved unless they simply want to intentionally cause processing delays as some sort of deterrent to those thinking about applying for citizenship.

It seems like it would be a good idea to streamline the process and perform all checks before one sits a test and then have you sit the test as a final step where you would then on the same day get approved and say your pledge in the office where you take the test. I don't quite see why the local councils have to get involved in dealing with ceremonies. It's not only a cost to taxpayers but also takes away resources and government workers time to arrange ceremonies, not to mention adding substantial delays to our processing.

That's my rant for the day. lol.

I guess it could be an option for a quick ceremony, but I believe you can do this in some areas anyway.  We got our approvals the same day as the test, so did our son the year before.  I wasn’t fussed about going to a ceremony but actually it was a lovely event, it made the bit of paper we got special and it was a good opportunity to meet our local representatives and other new citizens. We had a very warm welcome from them all, the mayor even gave out home made Anzac biscuits. 
A couple of months later our State MP invited all new citizens for a tour of Parliament House and to sit in question time. Don’t think I would have gone otherwise, it was really interesting.That was a great idea as voting is compulsory for citizens it is important to inform and engage people.  Mind you it was a very heated session on land tax and some MPs spent more time sitting out on the naughty step than in the chamber!

Edited by rammygirl

3 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

I wasn’t fussed about going to a ceremony but actually it was a lovely event, it made the bit of paper we got special and it was a good opportunity to meet our local representatives and other new citizens. We had a very warm welcome from them all, the mayor even gave out home made Anzac biscuits. 

I agree that in theory it's a great idea to have a ceremony in your local council where you can engage with local government and other new citizens, but the number of new citizens each year has just reached too high of levels to make the current ceremony system effective. During the inaugural year of the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948, around 2,500 people became new citizens, compared with 130,000 last year. I have heard stories of approved citizenship applicants missing out on good job opportunities and having to spend money to renew overseas passports for travel all because they hadn't yet attended a ceremony due to it being a 5 month wait for many.  I just wish they wouldn't make the ceremony a mandatory step to gaining citizenship and maybe just run events on Australia Day to welcome any new citizens that wish to attend.

23 hours ago, Ausa0000 said:

You can submit an FOI request regarding your citizenship application, asking for files, case notes, and screen shots that relate to your Citizenship Application. They won't however be able to offer you any advice or an explanation as to why your application has not yet been approved. This will only shed some light on what has been done on your application thus far.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/foi/Pages/how-to-make-a-request.aspx

Thank you. I submitted a request and they basically said go away, it’s within time frame! So frustrating when people who applied over a year later are getting there’s through. I’ve sat the teat but am yet to receive anymore communication

24 minutes ago, Netbg said:

Thank you. I submitted a request and they basically said go away, it’s within time frame! So frustrating when people who applied over a year later are getting there’s through. I’ve sat the teat but am yet to receive anymore communication

Was your request turned down? They are supposedly required to supply you with case notes and screen shots of your application under the Freedom of Information Act and most people seem to have gotten results. I believe they have 30 days to send you the FOI request. I believe the key is to submit the right wording regarding your FOI request. There is a template available for an FOI request that has proven very effective that can be found on another forum. I don't believe we are allowed to place links to other forums on here but if you Google "Citizenship processing timeline whirlpool" there is a clickable line towards the top of the page which reads FOI Template. This may make a big difference.

Edited by Ausa0000

12 minutes ago, Ausa0000 said:

Was your request turned down? They are supposedly required to supply you with case notes and screen shots of your application under the Freedom of Information Act and most people seem to have gotten results. I believe they have 30 days to send you the FOI request. I believe the key is to submit the right wording regarding your FOI request. There is a template available for an FOI request that has proven very effective that can be found on another forum. I don't believe we are allowed to place links to other forums on here but if you Google "Citizenship processing timeline whirlpool" there is a clickable line towards the top of the page which reads FOI Template. This may make a big difference.

Oh sorry I just sent a request to the feedback people, who emailed me to tell me to go away!! Haha!! That was this morning and I’ve just had a phone call from my local office to say they approved my citizenship and sorry about the delay!! Finally! I feel like they lost it or something!

Now to wait for my letter about ceremony. It only (?!) took 20 months to approval!!!!! 

• Congratulations 3

27 minutes ago, Netbg said:

Oh sorry I just sent a request to the feedback people, who emailed me to tell me to go away!! Haha!! That was this morning and I’ve just had a phone call from my local office to say they approved my citizenship and sorry about the delay!! Finally! I feel like they lost it or something!

Now to wait for my letter about ceremony. It only (?!) took 20 months to approval!!!!! 

Congrats!  Was this via the online request that says" compliments, complaints, and suggestions" or did you call them? I am surprised your local office actually called you about approval as I have never heard this happening before. Whatever the case, glad you finally got approval.

Edited by Ausa0000

On 22/01/2020 at 12:10, Indianinoz said:

Usually what is the time frame within which if you don't receive an invitation for test/interview do you complain? Is it 21 months since application?

to be fair, there is no reason to why you should wait 21 months, we applied 4 months prior to you and on the 26th we have been citizens 12 months... I suggest you call the MP.

1 hour ago, Chris N Lora said:

to be fair, there is no reason to why you should wait 21 months, we applied 4 months prior to you and on the 26th we have been citizens 12 months... I suggest you call the MP.

I didn't get you? Its been hardly 5-6 weeks since I applied. And you're suggesting me to call MP? I don't know of anybody who applied after me who has been invited. Do I still call the MP?

What is your timeline? Timeline in your signature would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

28 minutes ago, Indianinoz said:

I didn't get you? Its been hardly 5-6 weeks since I applied. And you're suggesting me to call MP? I don't know of anybody who applied after me who has been invited. Do I still call the MP?

What is your timeline? Timeline in your signature would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

I think Chris N Lora thought you wrote "It has been 21 months" instead of "is it 21 months" when you were asking how long you should wait before contacting department about not receiving test invite. MPs generally won't get involved until you are well beyond processing times. I would be extremely surprised if you didn't end up receiving a test invite within 9 months of your application date.  Most if not all 2019 applicants are getting their invites sent within 6-8 months, many much sooner. Some states and territories send out test invites early, some late. The later you have to wait for a test invite, usually the sooner your actual scheduled test date is. So receiving a test invite early doesn't necessarily mean you will get to sit the test before someone receiving an invite several months after you unless you are able to reschedule your interview to an earlier date which can be done when taking a test at a DOHA office, sadly not a DHS office. Thankfully DHS offices usually don't have a long waiting list for citizenship tests.  

I personally would discourage you from filing any complaints about not receiving a test invite until at least 9 months, but feel free to call the helpline every so often to make sure you haven't been given a test date and not received an email.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ausa0000 said:

I think Chris N Lora thought you wrote "It has been 21 months" instead of "is it 21 months" when you were asking how long you should wait before contacting department about not receiving test invite. MPs generally won't get involved until you are well beyond processing times. I would be extremely surprised if you didn't end up receiving a test invite within 9 months of your application date.  Most if not all 2019 applicants are getting their invites sent within 6-8 months, many much sooner. Some states and territories send out test invites early, some late. The later you have to wait for a test invite, usually the sooner your actual scheduled test date is. So receiving a test invite early doesn't necessarily mean you will get to sit the test before someone receiving an invite several months after you unless you are able to reschedule your interview to an earlier date which can be done when taking a test at a DOHA office, sadly not a DHS office. Thankfully DHS offices usually don't have a long waiting list for citizenship tests.  

I personally would discourage you from filing any complaints about not receiving a test invite until at least 9 months, but feel free to call the helpline every so often to make sure you haven't been given a test date and not received an email.

Thanks Ausa0000, yes filing is complaint is way beyond my imagination at this stage. 🙂

I didn't know DHS office holders can't reschedule. Thanks for the info. What happens if you can't attend on a particular date given?

Also, may I ask which states/territories are sending out test invites early and which late? And how much is early and how much is late? Does it depend upon state/territory or council as regards to invitation for test/interview is concerned? Thanks!

21 hours ago, Netbg said:

Congratulations Netbg, finally for you! 🙂 May I request you to please update your timeline on your signature? Thanks

17 minutes ago, Indianinoz said:

Thanks Ausa0000, yes filing is complaint is way beyond my imagination at this stage. 🙂

I didn't know DHS office holders can't reschedule. Thanks for the info. What happens if you can't attend on a particular date given?

Also, may I ask which states/territories are sending out test invites early and which late? And how much is early and how much is late? Does it depend upon state/territory or council as regards to invitation for test/interview is concerned? Thanks!

Regarding DHS tests, you can call them to reschedule your test to a later date but cannot bring your test date forward. You also can't check or reschedule your test appointment online like DOHA test takers can, you must call the number listed on your invite.

From what I have seen, Victoria has been sending out invites quite early, within two months of applying, but the actual test dates are often scheduled at least six months from the invite. Queensland seems to also be receiving early invites. NSW seems to be sending out invites around the 6-8 month mark but the test dates are then scheduled within 2 months of their invites. This is of course general observances and things can vary. Each state and territory, as well as individual case officers, have different ways and timelines of processing applications. Councils generally don't make a difference or play a role in processing until  it comes time to the citizenship ceremony.

There really isn't enough stats regarding applicants from regional areas taking tests at DHS offices so it's difficult to tell if their timelines vary greatly from the averages in each state and territory.

• Thanks 1

Hi all. I’ve just had my Citizenship test today. Here is my timeline.

9 Dec 19 - applied for the citizenship (Cairns centre)
11 Dec 19 - email received and advised date of the test (24/01/20)
23 Dec 20 - Test done and got 100% passing score. I was told to wait for approx 2weeks for the email.

Things move quite fast so far in my case.

• Congratulations 2

22 hours ago, Ausa0000 said:

Thanks, I was replying to Netg, whom applied in April 2018, as usual misunderstanding from some.  i was advising NetG 21 is unacceptable. 

On 02/12/2019 at 15:31, lanky said:

My husband applied for Citizenship in May 2019 on line attaching all the documents required. In November he received an email asking for further information as the surname on his birth certificate was listed as his fathers middle name, we had not even noticed that our selves. He got asked to provide proof from an early age of the surname he has always used. We had already sent all the passports both up to date & expired & a copy of his RRV. all in the name he has always used He even went & made a statutory declaration signed by a JP & forwarded a copy of a page from his mothers expired British passport in 1965 stating the full name of herself & my husbands father. We are still to to hear back if the documents provided are sufficient to proof his ID. has anyone else had this problem or similar, if so how long does it take to get a response after forwarding the information. I might add we have been permanent residents since 1988. 

I applied for citizenship on 14/01/2020.

My surname is not written in my birth certificate while all other identity documents have my full name including surname, I also have no idea what they going to do with my application. Have you got any reply from DHA?

2 hours ago, Manga said:

Hi all 

I have applied for citizenship and my surname is not printed on my birth certificate but it is printed on my passport. Anyone have any idea ,if it would be a problem?

There is a section of the form when doing the paper application (don't know if online is the same bc I havent applied as yet..still waiting 7 days to be able to) that reads "have you ever been known or are known by a different name"? And you should answer yes to it. With and without surname. Also for the Australian police check, it asks the same. I too have the same issue, on my US passport I have one surname and on my chilean passport I have two surnames, so I report both known names Nora, X Y and Nora X.

So today I received my National Police Certificate and it reads something like: "No criminal records under the name of Nora X who has advised that is also known as Nora X Y"

Hope it helps!

Do what you think is right. Remember that for most of our "official paper work" while in Au (centrelink, visas, etc) we use foreign passport as an ID, So it does make sense to report the two names.

N

On 24/01/2020 at 13:38, Zelina said:

Hi all. I’ve just had my Citizenship test today. Here is my timeline.

9 Dec 19 - applied for the citizenship (Cairns centre)
11 Dec 19 - email received and advised date of the test (24/01/20)
23 Dec 20 - Test done and got 100% passing score. I was told to wait for approx 2weeks for the email.

Things move quite fast so far in my case.

Wow, that’s fast!

Would be nice to see it similar progress in Darwin.

Citizenship Application: 09/11/2019

Invitation: TBA

Test Date: Initial - TBA

Approval: TBA

Ceremony: TBA

Darwin, Northern Territory

•  
Edited by dodziu

On 24/01/2020 at 15:15, Chris N Lora said:

Thanks, I was replying to Netg, whom applied in April 2018, as usual misunderstanding from some.  i was advising NetG 21 is unacceptable. 

Yep I totally agree. 21 months totally unacceptable. They have approved now. The Brisbane office called me and said they were waiting for a document and it was out of their hands but I basically think it slipped through the net and they hadn’t noticed I was still waiting!! Very frustrating because I had to spend $400 on a residents return visa to go back to the UK at Xmas. Hopefully get my ceremony soon so I can get my passport. I applied before my twins were born... they’re now 18 months and they got dual citizenship at 4 months old!! Was much easier for them!’