AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

8 minutes ago, coolmotu said:

I am having citizenship today in Sydney CBD. Any last minute suggestions? 

Bit nervous. 

@coolmotu, good luck on your test. The test is fairly easy. Just be sure with your answer when clicking. 

If you want,  you can also review your answer by clicking back with each question. and lastly, relax!

All the best!

Edited by Zet01

31 minutes ago, Zet01 said:

Congratulations @Rorz. I tried calling my council to ask the next ceremony date as their website is not updated, they told me the date but I was also told that the invite will come from DIBP and not from them. I guess it depends on the council.

Thank you @Zet01 They told you what date? The date of upcoming ceremonies or the date of your ceremony invite?

Hi all,

I have a question about eligibility to start the process.

On the assumption the current rules don't change (which I'm hopeful of), this is what is says about eligibility:

Current Requirements for Australian Citizenship. To be eligible for citizenship you must: Have been living in Australia on a valid visa for the four years immediately before applying (this may include holding temporary and/or bridging visas) Have held a permanent residency visa for at least the past 12 months.

Question: What constitutes a temporary visa?

I got relocated to Australia for my work nearly 4 years ago and I'm wondering when my start point is for counting back the 4 years.

Date 1: Date of entry: Entered on a 651 temporary evisa

Date 2: Applied for 457 visa

Date 3: Bridging visa granted (not sure if bridging visa grants the same rights as the 651 visa to just allow me to stay or is considered part of the 457

Date 4: 457 visa granted

Date 5: Pretty much exactly 3 years to the day after date 1, PR granted.

I'm assuming it will either be date 1, date 3 or date 4 but as date 1 is coming up to the 4 year anniversary and it will also be 1 year since I got my PR, I'm wondering if it counts.

Second question, when it comes to it, does everyone use a migration agent for citizenship? Obviously I used one for my other visas and it worked well however it seem unclear whether its recommended for citizenship.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

46 minutes ago, imthedave said:

Hi all,

On the assumption the current rules don't change (which I'm hopeful of), this is what is says about eligibility:

Current Requirements for Australian Citizenship. To be eligible for citizenship you must: Have been living in Australia on a valid visa for the four years immediately before applying (this may include holding temporary and/or bridging visas) Have held a permanent residency visa for at least the past 12 months.

I got relocated to Australia for my work nearly 4 years ago and I'm wondering when my start point is for counting back the 4 years.

Date 3: Bridging visa granted (not sure if bridging visa grants the same rights as the 651 visa to just allow me to stay or is considered part of the 457

I'm assuming it will either be date 1, date 3 or date 4 but as date 1 is coming up to the 4 year anniversary and it will also be 1 year since I got my PR, I'm wondering if it counts.

Second question, when it comes to it, does everyone use a migration agent for citizenship? Obviously I used one for my other visas and it worked well however it seem unclear whether its recommended for citizenship.

From date 1 I would imagine. I didn't use an agent, the forms to fill in, although detailed, were easy enough to complete. A benefit of using an agent is they may be able to communicate more efficiently with the DIBP whilst your application is in process and will also be a good second check to make sure you provided ALL the necessary information in your application. You have to weigh up whether the cost is worth it or not. You should be able to get a copy of your PR application documents from your agent which will help you fill in the citizenship documents more easily. 

59 minutes ago, imthedave said:

No one ever uses a migration agent for citizenship.  Citizenship is not migration

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, imthedave said:

Hi all,

You can use an agent if you'd like but it's pretty straightforward so it seems a waste of money to me.  I have heard agents mention assisting clients with citizenship applications but I've never seen someone on a forum mention using one.

Date applied - 24 Oct 2017

City/Council area - Perth

Online / Paper - Online

Date received the acknowledgement email - 24 OCT 2017

Date of the Citizenship Test - 18 June 2018 ; passed! *

Citizenship approval letter - 28 June 2018

Date of ceremony - TBA

Type of ceremony - TBA

* Please read this note very carefully

They will ask you for all the paperwork to prove your identity.
You MUST carry all the documents' originals with you and not leave a single one at home.
Indians in particular MUST carry their original and NAATI translated birth certificate.
I understand that a number of North Indians do NOT have their name on the birth certificate issued by the hospital.
Its translated version is required to establish relationship to parents and date of birth.

Kindly do not take this lightly. i have personally seen a number of Immigration officers get upset because these documents were not with the applicants.
Also, please do not assume that the birth certificate proof submitted with PR is good enough.
Sometimes Indians get their birth certificate as an abridgement of passport. Immigration officers do not consider this as a birth certificate.
Documents that are acceptable are as follows:

a) Aadhar card. 
b) Ration card
c) Voter Card
d) Original Birth certificate with NAATI translation
e) Original Indian Drivers' license with NAATI translation.

Having stated the above, i am guilty of what i have documented. The officer was helpful and gave me 14 days to submit additional documents. 
In hindsight, i would've rather carried originals with me. Please learn from my mistakes. 

Good Luck.

Date applied - 24 Oct 2017

City/Council area - Perth

Online / Paper - Online

Date received the acknowledgement email - 24 OCT 2017

Date of the Citizenship Test - 18 June 2018 ; passed! *

Citizenship approval letter - 28 June 2018

Date of ceremony - TBA

Type of ceremony - TBA

* Please read this note very carefully

They will ask you for all the paperwork to prove your identity.
You MUST carry all the documents' originals with you and not leave a single one at home.
Indians in particular MUST carry their original and NAATI translated birth certificate.
I understand that a number of North Indians do NOT have their name on the birth certificate issued by the hospital.
Its translated version is required to establish relationship to parents and date of birth.

Kindly do not take this lightly. i have personally seen a number of Immigration officers get upset because these documents were not with the applicants.
Also, please do not assume that the birth certificate proof submitted with PR is good enough.
Sometimes Indians get their birth certificate as an abridgement of passport. Immigration officers do not consider this as a birth certificate.
Documents that are acceptable are as follows:

a) Aadhar card. 
b) Ration card
c) Voter Card
d) Original Birth certificate with NAATI translation
e) Original Indian Drivers' license with NAATI translation.

Having stated the above, i am guilty of what i have documented. The officer was helpful and gave me 14 days to submit additional documents. 
In hindsight, i would've rather carried originals with me. Please learn from my mistakes. 

Good Luck.

That’s so cool. Immigration would be so fast I never imagined. Now the wait begins for the ceremony. My local council is Blacktown NSW. 

For the documents I did not had my Birth Certificate as Indian passport has all the details. The case officer was very good and humble. He pressed on Birth Certificate but accepted my docs and told me that if there is no change in name then birth certificate is not compulsory. But it’s good to have birth certificate then you will not face any issues and delay. Me and wife both were lucky that it did not effected our application. My case officer asked for birth certificate but wife’s case office did not even asked for the birth certificate. I think we were lucky to get good officers. 

Lets wait for the approval letter and ceremony letter in postbox. 

Date applied - 15 NOV 2017

City/Council area - Perth

Online / Paper - Online

Date received the acknowledgement email - 15 NOV 2017

Date of the Citizenship Test - 

Citizenship approval letter - 

Date of ceremony - 

Type of ceremony - 

11 hours ago, coolmotu said:

That’s so cool. Immigration would be so fast I never imagined. Now the wait begins for the ceremony. My local council is Blacktown NSW. 

For the documents I did not had my Birth Certificate as Indian passport has all the details. The case officer was very good and humble. He pressed on Birth Certificate but accepted my docs and told me that if there is no change in name then birth certificate is not compulsory. But it’s good to have birth certificate then you will not face any issues and delay. Me and wife both were lucky that it did not effected our application. My case officer asked for birth certificate but wife’s case office did not even asked for the birth certificate. I think we were lucky to get good officers. 

Lets wait for the approval letter and ceremony letter in postbox. 

That's really cool! you also got your approval straight away. I think it really depends on the case officer. Mine was approved 2 days later, my husband took 20 days. Congratulations!

10 hours ago, ahad12 said:

I have applied on 26th October 2017, still waiting for test date. I am from melbourne.  

Did you check your spam emails? Sometimes the email goes there, just make sure you check it as well.

I hope you get your test invite soon.  

1 minute ago, Zet01 said:

Did you check your spam emails? Sometimes the email goes there, just make sure you check it as well.

I hope you get your test invite soon.  

I applied through agent as I was going overseas.  Will I get the email directly to me or through agent. 

31 minutes ago, ahad12 said:

I applied through agent as I was going overseas.  Will I get the email directly to me or through agent. 

How long are you away? That might be the reason why you did not get an invite yet. From what I know, you have to be here to get a test invite.

We also went overseas for 1 month, and we received our test invite 1 week after we arrived back in Australia.

For the test invite email, it depends if your agent put his email address to notify on the invite.

Edited by Zet01

1 hour ago, Zet01 said:

How long are you away? That might be the reason why you did not get an invite yet. From what I know, you have to be here to get a test invite.

We also went overseas for 1 month, and we received our test invite 1 week after we arrived back in Australia.

For the test invite email, it depends if your agent put his email address to notify on the invite.

I went overseas just fo 25 days in January 2018.