AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

6 hours ago, Zet01 said:

Maybe. But husband does not have any offense even with traffic rules. I hope he gets the approval soon. I have been checking my IMMI account 4 times a day just to check his approval. 

Can be many reasons, his name may be the same as an offender for example. Maybe his file has been held up for another reason. Goodness only knows why some people get immediate approval and some wait for months!  The system really needs to be tightened up. Something is clearly not working as it should. 

As a couple applying with linked applications we were invited to do our test at the sama time.  The lady processing said that was good as sometimes even linked applications are invited a month apart, she said it shouldn’t happen but ..........

This is what I think. Traffic fines in which court is not involved like expiation notices, which you paid and you do not go into court. then these will be fine. if the court is involved then you need to mention immigration and citizenship department about them.

Please, do correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by ArsalanAhmad

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 00:12, rammygirl said:

Can be many reasons, his name may be the same as an offender for example. Maybe his file has been held up for another reason. Goodness only knows why some people get immediate approval and some wait for months!  The system really needs to be tightened up. Something is clearly not working as it should. 

As a couple applying with linked applications we were invited to do our test at the sama time.  The lady processing said that was good as sometimes even linked applications are invited a month apart, she said it shouldn’t happen but ..........

Our test are on the same day, but different times. He took the test earlier than me.  

I guess, there is no choice but to patiently wait for his approval.

3 hours ago, reachtoakhil said:

i have got my approval letter in the mailbox and still waiting for the ceremony 

Does anyone knows how much time it takes for ceremony letter to arrive 

I am in vic , application applied on 21-4-17

Hi @reachtoakhil, congratulations. When did you sit on your test?

I had my citizenship test early May 2018. I called Immi today to enquire about approval date and was advised it could take up to 6 months. ? Then there iss the wait for the council to get in touch about a ceremony date. Which could also take 6 months. Lodged in June 2017 so worst case scenario is 2 years to ceremony. Best case is 13 months and counting. What a joke!  

On 13/06/2018 at 11:19, reachtoakhil said:

i have got my approval letter in the mailbox and still waiting for the ceremony 

Does anyone knows how much time it takes for ceremony letter to arrive 

I am in vic , application applied on 21-4-17

It depends on your local council, they invite you for ceremony.  I rang ours and the next one planned is Early August, she said we would get an invite for that once the date was fixed.

have a look on your council website for information. 

19 hours ago, reachtoakhil said:

council has nothing to do with this as DIBP send and book the citizenship time the council 

If you are advising the same to everyone then i would suggest to stop this 

maybe you should do some research 

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/community/community-services/citizenship

https://www.thehills.nsw.gov.au/Services/Our-Community/Citizenship-Ceremonies

http://www.whitehorse.vic.gov.au/Australian-Citizenship-Ceremonies.html

http://www.communityservices.act.gov.au/multicultural/services/australian-citizenship-ceremonies/schedule-of-australian-citizenship-ceremonies

That was a quick search and local councils put dates on the websites. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, reachtoakhil said:

council has nothing to do with this as DIBP send and book the citizenship time the council 

If you are advising the same to everyone then i would suggest to stop this 

Well yes strictly speaking immigration send the list of approvals to the councils each month.  

But it is up to the councils to decide when to hold the ceremonies, depending how many people are approved etc.  The council not immigration send you an invite to a ceremony.  Ours for example held ceremonies in Jan and March this year but the next one is August so not regular.

I wouldn’t say that it has nothing to do with the council.  Try ringing immigration, they will tell you it is up to the council to invite you to their next available ceremony.  Immigration do not book your citizenship ceremony.

Interestingly all councils seem to disagree about who is responsible ours says this.

How will Council invite me to attend a Ceremony?

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship provides Council with a summary of eligible participants on a monthly basis (i.e. in the first week of the beginning of the month.)

Letters are sent by Council to all eligible participants approximately 4-6 weeks prior to the ceremony date, subject to vacancies.

It is important that you RSVP your attendance at a ceremony. This will ensure your certificate will be available for presentation.

For candidates taking a Citizenship Pledge under Oath, please bring the holy book or scripture of your choice. Council does not provide this.

Please arrive at least 20 minutes before the ceremony is scheduled to start to enable registration.

The ceremony will take approximately 45 minutes followed by an opportunity to share refreshments.  You are welcome to invite family and friends to share the occasion. 

Please bring the letter you received from COUNCIL with you, as well as some form of photo identification. A current Australian driver's licence is ideal as this will also facilitate electoral enrolment.

The Electoral Enrolment Form is required to be completed regardless of whether you are currently on the electoral roll. 

Candidates may be asked to sign a form giving their consent for photographs, video or film taken during the ceremony to be used for future citizenship promotional purposes.

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jemvin said:

How easy is the test? Do they cover everything in the booklet?? How many questions are there? Is it multiple choice??  How many do you have to get right in order to pass?? 

It's fairly easy. 20 multiple choice questions. To pass you have to answer answer 75 per cent, or 15 out of 20 questions, correctly. Just read the Our Common Bond booklet, do some practice tests and you'll be good to go.

On 04/06/2018 at 11:05, hjq83 said:
  1. Date applied: 27 October 2017
  2. City/Council area: Bayside Council, NSW (Sydney CBD test centre)
  3. Online / Paper: Online
  4. Date received the acknowledgement email: 27 October 2017
  5. Date of the Citizenship Test: 1 June 2018
  6. Date of ceremony: TBC
  7. Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal): Normal

In addition, I'm English and have been in Australia since 2011. 417, 457, then PR. Have held my PR for 2 years and 1 month. 

Just thought I'd post an update that my online account changed to "Approved" today, 2 weeks and 2 days after I passed the test ?

So now just to wait for my council to hold their next ceremony.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hjq83 said:

Just thought I'd post an update that my online account changed to "Approved" today, 2 weeks and 2 days after I passed the test ?

So now just to wait for my council to hold their next ceremony.

Congrats @hjq83. Our wait is over, just one more step and that is the ceremony. ?

Here is our updated timeline as well:

Date applied: 13 October 2017
State: VIC 
Online / Paper: Online
Date received the acknowledgement email: 13 October 2017
Received email re citizenship test: 13 April 2018
Date of the Citizenship Test: 29 May 2018
Immi Approval: 31 May 2018 (me) / 18 June 2018 (Husband)

Date of Ceremony: TBC

I hope those waiting for their test dates will soon get a test invite. We still feel lucky to finish the application up to test approval in 8 months time.

• Like 1

Date applied: 20th October 2017

City/Council area: Fraser Coast QLD

Date received the acknowledgement email: 20th October 2017

Date of the Citizenship Test: 17th May 2018

Date of ceremony: Waiting...........

Type of ceremony: Normal

My immi account still just says - received - is that supposed to change? Sat the test a month ago.

2 minutes ago, xxlornaxx said:

Date applied: 20th October 2017

City/Council area: Fraser Coast QLD

Date received the acknowledgement email: 20th October 2017

Date of the Citizenship Test: 17th May 2018

Date of ceremony: Waiting...........

Type of ceremony: Normal

My immi account still just says - received - is that supposed to change? Sat the test a month ago.

IMMI account should change to APPROVED and then you will receive the approval letter after a few days in your mailing address.

• Like 1