Is this end of the road for us?!

AustraliaPlease

Hello

Hoping for some wise words over the weekend until we speak to our agent on Monday!

We started the visa process in Jan 2018. At that point we were eligible for a 189/489 visa.

Now, I don’t think we are and have no clue if there are any other routes for us.

My partner is a plumber (granted 15 years from VETASSESS) & has just passed the practical assessment of VETASSESS.

We stand at 50 points (this is WITHOUT the English at the moment). We have IELTS booked for next month. We know he needs the full 20 points for the English which is a big ask for anyone, but he is unfortunately dyslexic.

If being completely realistic, we think we’d only get 10 points for it (but never say never!)

Leaving us at 60 (or 65 if 489).

But by the time everything is together ready to register our interest, it will probably be too late as the points will raise to 70 at a guess in the new financial year.

Are we clutching at straws?! We don’t know too much about employment sponsorship visas. Would this be an option for us?

Side note: My brother in law (partner’s brother) emigrated to Perth nearly 3 years ago- not yet applied for citizenship, so don’t think he can help at all.

Any info or advice of what visa to read up on would be much appreciated. [emoji4]

As above, I wouldn’t give up. There’s a federal election this year before the new financial year so who knows what they’ll do. I would crack on and do the practice tests, extra tutoring, whatever to get the best score he can and keep an eye on everything else as you go. 

If you want to move to Australia you need to try to the last to be sure that you gave it your best shot. You don’t want to chuck it in early and regret it later. Obviously cost is another factor with all these hoops to jump through but if you can afford it and want to move I’d keep going.

Hopefully your agent can give you some reassurance on Monday. 🤗

if It’s any help I also needed 20 and could only hit 10 points when i took the IELTS twice.. I then sat the Pearson test which I found a lot more user friendly and a less pressurised environment. It was also a computer based exam so you just put your headphones on and away you go and managed to hit the 20 points first time.. Dont give up..

• Like 1

Ah, thank you everyone!

My partner is being really positive about it all; it’s me! I just want to have plan B lined up in case.

Will definitely look into extra tutoring.

Ah, didn’t know that re federal election- good to know. Will make sure I stay in the loop about everything.

Liam13- my partner really struggled with Pearson when doing mock tests. There’s only one option with Pearson isn’t there? It says on the website that the PTE general isn’t recognised when comes to immigration purposes, and must do PTE academic?

Whereas with IELTS there’s general training as well as academic...

Or have I missed something with Pearson?!

Oh my goodness...I thought it was 5!! Thank you for making me look back at the table again.

Obviously we worked out the points when first started the process, and only glanced at it quickly again last night when reviewing our options and stupidly looked at the 190 state sponsor table instead of the 489 state sponsor! Okay...more positive then. Knew some good would come out of creating this post [emoji4]

* note to self: don’t look at things late at night when desperate for my bed! *

• Like 1

If your agent is a registered migration agent, be guided by the advice you receive. If not consult a registered migration agent. Some companies have RMAs retained as consultants, but they do jot manage cases directly.

BTW

Special conditions can apply to IELTS candidates with medical conditions that impair their performance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
Ah, thank you everyone!
My partner is being really positive about it all; it’s me! I just want to have plan B lined up in case.
Will definitely look into extra tutoring.
Ah, didn’t know that re federal election- good to know. Will make sure I stay in the loop about everything.

Liam13- my partner really struggled with Pearson when doing mock tests. There’s only one option with Pearson isn’t there? It says on the website that the PTE general isn’t recognised when comes to immigration purposes, and must do PTE academic?
Whereas with IELTS there’s general training as well as academic...
Or have I missed something with Pearson?!

How did you get on with it all? Has your husband had any luck with the English? My advice is to go onto e2language and buy a package! I’ve sat the IELTS 2x and did not get the 7’s however, I sat the Pearson’s and had the 7s 65 + points. Be good to know how you have progressed?

Martyn

5 points for 190

10 points for 489 and isn’t this changing for 491? I’m sure I read somewhere 15 but maybe I’m making that up?

My Partner tried the ielts a couple of times and kept being 0.5 away from getting 8s across the board and then he tried the PTE - still no joy but he just did it again and now has his 20 points!! If you want something badly enough you have to keep trying!! He was studying every night!! It is harder but the marking is much fairer. The ielts is a ridiculous test! A lapse in concentration in the listening and miss a couple of questions and you miss out on an 8! 

Are you both on the occupation list? That could be a way of getting another 5 points with the new points structure. 

Don't give up! Where there’s a will there’s a way!! Most of the time anyway!! Good luck 

4 hours ago, CapitalS said:

The ielts is a ridiculous test! A lapse in concentration in the listening and miss a couple of questions and you miss out on an 8! 

True, but imagine you are applying for a visa and you have a medical or nuclear safety based career a lapse in concentration during listening there could mean you "lose" a lot more than a few exam points.

I agree IELTS isn't easy, but it isn't meant to be - it's meant to test if you can stay concentrating on a specific subject in english for prolonged periods (after all it's main use is to determine if foreigh students have the mastery of the English language to attend a full hour lecture in English)

I know many foreign nationals who have got all 8+ in IELTS despite only starting to learn English 2-3 years ago; the test seems to work for what it was designed for - it really was never made to be an immigration test, it just became one over time

IELTS is a poorly constructed test concocted by little people who are trying to show how very
clever they are. It tests a candidate's ability to perform under test conditions and people who
do not have good examination technique often do not score as well as they should have.

• Like 3