English bricklayers

Sean E

• 2 months later...

Just looking to earn a good wage for me n the family. I take it there is plenty of bricklaying work out on the coast? Definitely eligible. We are coming out for a month in July can’t wait. Gonna look into visa in that time.

3 hours ago, Sean E said:

Just looking to earn a good wage for me n the family. I take it there is plenty of bricklaying work out on the coast? Definitely eligible. We are coming out for a month in July can’t wait. Gonna look into visa in that time.

At present there is no option for a state sponsored visa in QLD (this may change next financial year), so you would need to apply for a 189 visa. This means you need to be able to amass 65 points in the migration assessment to be able to apply, however as of right now there have been no invites for people (without sponsorship from a state) with less than 75 points.

You'd also need a skills assessment, which for trades tends to run to about £2,000 before you can apply. After that you would need a visa fee of $3695 for the primary applicant, $1895 for any adult coming with you and $920 for any child - so for a typical family of 2 adults and 2 kids that's just over $7000 (£4000) in visa fees alone - then you need medicals and police certificates (around a £1,000 for a family of four, but depends).

So that's an outlay of £7,000 (before you think about maybe engaging an agent to do the work for you - around £2500 if you want their help). At this point you've spent £7,000 and may still get knocked back.

I'm not saying this to worry you, just to let you know what you are letting yourself in for so you can decide how much you want it.

One final point - if you are over 45 you are too old to apply anyway - so if that's the case unless your partner has a skill on the "required list" (bricklayer is right now) and is under 45 then migration isn't even an option.

Enjoy your trip in the summer and I hope you make the right decision for you and the family, whatever that decision is 

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

At present there is no option for a state sponsored visa in QLD (this may change next financial year), so you would need to apply for a 189 visa. This means you need to be able to amass 65 points in the migration assessment to be able to apply, however as of right now there have been no invites for people (without sponsorship from a state) with less than 75 points.

You'd also need a skills assessment, which for trades tends to run to about £2,000 before you can apply. After that you would need a visa fee of $3695 for the primary applicant, $1895 for any adult coming with you and $920 for any child - so for a typical family of 2 adults and 2 kids that's just over $7000 (£4000) in visa fees alone - then you need medicals and police certificates (around a £1,000 for a family of four, but depends).

So that's an outlay of £7,000 (before you think about maybe engaging an agent to do the work for you - around £2500 if you want their help). At this point you've spent £7,000 and may still get knocked back.

I'm not saying this to worry you, just to let you know what you are letting yourself in for so you can decide how much you want it.

One final point - if you are over 45 you are too old to apply anyway - so if that's the case unless your partner has a skill on the "required list" (bricklayer is right now) and is under 45 then migration isn't even an option.

Enjoy your trip in the summer and I hope you make the right decision for you and the family, whatever that decision is 

Just point out July isn’t summer on the Sunshine Coast, might feel warm coming from UK, the day starts off cool, heats up during the day, but can be as cold as 8’ at night. Locals are in long trousers and jackets, during the day.

5 hours ago, Sean E said:

You can’t look into the visa while you’re in Australia, you’ll need to do that while you’re still in the UK. Easiest way to do that is to have a consultation with a MARA registered migration agent

• Like 1

Will just add to Ausvisirots post, that those are not total costs. For a family to migrate, I would budget £30k. It isn't a quick process. It will likely take close to a year (even if you have high enough points to get an invite fairly quickly. 

The skills assessment will on its own take a couple of months and that is from when you submit it. English exams though can be done in that period. 

3 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Will just add to Ausvisirots post, that those are not total costs. For a family to migrate, I would budget £30k. It isn't a quick process. It will likely take close to a year (even if you have high enough points to get an invite fairly quickly. 

The skills assessment will on its own take a couple of months and that is from when you submit it. English exams though can be done in that period. 

30k plus if you dont like it after a year months or years there is the cost of getting back home, think long and hard.

• Like 1