Working in the heat

L30GME

4 minutes ago, L30GME said:

I have been wondering how the Brit’s who have immigrated have coped with working outside in the heat? 

It's tough.  My OH wasn't too keen on the heat but some days he worked in temps of nearly 40C.  If your job involves outdoor work you just have to get on with it. 

• Like 2

If your line of work is outside then you have my sympathies. When there are roadworks and we see the work men and women with their full sleeved, yellow jackets and big boots I always wonder how on earth they cope in the heat.

Doing the school run is bad enough for me, waiting in the sun to cross the road. 

Loved the heat for many years, but am very fed up of it now, 8 years in. This summer has been challenging. Longing for winter! 

• Like 1

Depends where you work. If it's Perth its not that humid and working outside isn't too bad. I've worked in 35 degrees in Perth with full length high vis and boots and haven't felt too bad. I've worked in 10 degrees less in Darwin but with high humidity it's been extremely uncomfortable. Wet through after 10 minutes.

My son is a sparkie. Done loads of FIFO up North and the worst he ever felt was Inpex in Darwin. 

Workers, especially tradies, tend to start and finish early. When my son was working locally he'd be out at 5:30 and surfing at 3:30. Usually followed by a beer. Can't get in the pub car parks for utes and trailers at happy hour.😎

• Like 3