Best way to transfer money to UK account

Tom Roffey

Hi.

Looking for some advice please. 

I am in the process of finalising our move to Sydney. I have HSBC's accounts in both the UK and in Australia and will need to transfer money back to the UK account regularly for mortgage etc. 

Is the best way to just transfer between the two accounts? I won't be charged a fee but will the exchange rates be the best? Or should I use another service?

Have searched and search and have probably confused myself more so any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

There are lots of transfer services.   Many PomsinOz members recommend Moneycorp because if you join through PomsinOz, they don't charge any fees, and their service is good.  However if you shop around, you may get a better exchange rate.

It really depends if a few pennies difference in the exchange rate matters to you.

9 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

There are lots of transfer services.   Many PomsinOz members recommend Moneycorp because if you join through PomsinOz, they don't charge any fees, and their service is good.  However if you shop around, you may get a better exchange rate.

It really depends if a few pennies difference in the exchange rate matters to you.

I think the speed of the transfer can differ? We use transferwise, and the money is more often than not in our Australian account the same day. 

48 minutes ago, Tom Roffey said:

Hi.

I am in the process of finalising our move to Sydney. I have HSBC's accounts in both the UK and in Australia and will need to transfer money back to the UK account regularly for mortgage etc. 

Is the best way to just transfer between the two accounts? I won't be charged a fee but will the exchange rates be the best? Or should I use another service?

Have searched and search and have probably confused myself more so any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Hey mate, try transfer wise. You can download their app and money reach overseas account pretty much instantly. Very low fee and way better exchange rate.https://transferwise.com/au/

Its regulated by FCA in Uk and ASIC here in AUS. 

Don't ever transfer through bank to bank, they charge you high fee as well as take large spread out of exchange rate

Edited by garrychandi

47 minutes ago, Tom Roffey said:

Hi.

If you use HSBC to transfer UK to Oz why not use them for the reverse? I use HSBC and the rate has always been favourable to others and the transfer is instant. 

7 hours ago, Tom Roffey said:

Hi.

I have 2 HSBC accounts as well. One in the UK and the other in Australia. If need to have the global view service. You can transfer between the 2 instantly and the rates are pretty good.