RESIDENT RETURN VISA V NEW PARTNER APPLICATION

Aussiebird

Hello and Happy New Year!

Me and my husband lived in Australia from 2012-2014. He was granted a partner visa.

I have many family members in Australia (I am an Australian Citizen.)

We are wanting to move back to Australia but my husband doesnt know if he is entitled to a RRESIDENT RETURN VISA or if its applying again for a partner visa?

The cost of the RRV is significantly cheaper than a new partner visa but we are wondering if we have been back in UK too long now to be granted a RRV?

Any help on this matter would really put his mind at rest.

If he has to apply for another partner visa, would he be able to use any statements etc provided in support of his application that he used in the first place? Would save him a lot of time etc....but the documents have date stamps on them from around 2011.

Thank you so much in advance.

Xxx

1 hour ago, Aussiebird said:

Me and my husband lived in Australia from 2012-2014. He was granted a partner visa.

We are wanting to move back to Australia but my husband doesnt know if he is entitled to a RRESIDENT RETURN VISA or if its applying again for a partner visa?

The cost of the RRV is significantly cheaper than a new partner visa but we are wondering if we have been back in UK too long now to be granted a RRV?

If he has to apply for another partner visa, would he be able to use any statements etc provided in support of his application that he used in the first place? Would save him a lot of time etc....but the documents have date stamps on them from around 2011.

Xxx

Can you not apply for a RRV first and if it fails go the partner route?

You don't get a ban for failing to get a RRV!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Xxx

Immigration will want proof that the relationship is still ongoing, not proof that it existed in 2011.

38 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have just emailed an agent to see if he would get either the 1 or 5 year. 

If you can't fulfil all the requirements, then one year is all you get.  However that's all he needs to allow you to move back to Australia and get established.   

You don't need to have a RRV to live in Australia, you only need it if you plan to travel in and out of the country.   Lots of people live in Australia for years without ever renewing their RRV because they never travel overseas.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

Thank you Marisawright for your reply.

My husband will probably want to visit family in the UK at least once a year.

Well, he'll be able to visit them during the first year while his one-year RRV is valid.  Then he will need to apply to renew it for the following year.  Once he's got the next one, he can travel again.  Once he's got two years under his belt, plus a job and a home in Australia, he'll be in a stronger position to get a 5-year RRV which will see him through until he gets citizenship.

I know all that sounds like a hassle, but it's probably less hassle than gathering all the current evidence for a partner visa 

Edited by Marisawright

Thank you for your reply.

It sounds quite long winded to keep reapplying but my concern would be if after 2 years, he doesnt qualify for a 5 year RRV, he would have to apply for another Partner Visa. Do you happen to know the cost of applying for a 5 year RRV?

THANK YOU so much.

3 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

It sounds quite long winded to keep reapplying but my concern would be if after 2 years, he doesnt qualify for a 5 year RRV, he would have to apply for another Partner Visa. Do you happen to know the cost of applying for a 5 year RRV?

THANK YOU so much.

I think you just apply and they determine how long they will grant you one fore (1 or 5 years), based on the evidence you provide.

51 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

It sounds quite long winded to keep reapplying but my concern would be if after 2 years, he doesnt qualify for a 5 year RRV, he would have to apply for another Partner Visa. Do you happen to know the cost of applying for a 5 year RRV

An RRV is an RRV, it's up to Immigration to decide whether you get one year or five years.   Once he's genuinely living in Australia with an Australian wife, an Australian home, an Australian job, bank account etc, then I think he'd be in a strong position to get a 5 year one, but I'm not an expert.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1