Salary from London to Sydney?

desreb

Hi,

Has anyone moved recently from London to Sydney with the same company in a similar role, such that you can compare your salary before and after? Did it go up or down?

I'm currently in this situation, and due to discuss with my manager I can justify a pay boost as part of the move. I understand from Numbeo etc that the cost of living is actually a bit cheaper, but salaries are higher and purchasing power is higher. Yet, I know someone who moved a few years ago, and say that Sydney is much more expensive to live for the equivalent of a 'Zone 4 lifestyle' in London.

Thanks!

d

I'm sure it would depend on relative demands for your skills in both places...

but if you multiply your UK salary by 2.1 you will be working on what I did when I moved from London to Sydney in 2011. That gave me approximately the same living standard and buying power.

The last move was to Tasmania from Southampton and it was about 2.2 times

• Like 1

They reckon the multiplier should be about 2.5 - not whatever the local currency conversion us at the moment. Look at your salary in comparison with the local average salary and then work out what salary you would need to be in the same level with an Australian salary. I'd say  that Sydney is right up there with London's costliest areas, equally, the parts of Sydney that are going to be cheaper, like London, are the parts you wouldn't want to live in.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, desreb said:

Thanks! You've triggered my memory from before. I remember this figure being banded about quite a while ago.

I think that's too high, try by all means why not but as for expectation the rate today is nothing like 2.1-2.2 I'm not that dumb 😉 its what a few people I know as well as myself have worked on.

On 31/10/2018 at 13:02, desreb said:

Hi,

Has anyone moved recently from London to Sydney with the same company in a similar role, such that you can compare your salary before and after? Did it go up or down?

I'm currently in this situation, and due to discuss with my manager I can justify a pay boost as part of the move. I understand from Numbeo etc that the cost of living is actually a bit cheaper, but salaries are higher and purchasing power is higher. Yet, I know someone who moved a few years ago, and say that Sydney is much more expensive to live for the equivalent of a 'Zone 4 lifestyle' in London.

It's hard to say, because everyone's idea of lifestyle is different.  However, based on my experience (which is two years ago now), I'd say that the cost of living is much the same in both countries WITH ONE BIG EXCEPTION - housing.   Whether you want to rent or buy, Sydney is very expensive.   

Check out domain.com.au and realestate.com.au for an idea of what you can expect to pay.  

10 hours ago, can1983 said:

I think that's too high, try by all means why not but as for expectation the rate today is nothing like 2.1-2.2 I'm not that dumb 😉 its what a few people I know as well as myself have worked on.

Actually, to expand on that - the exchange rate is 1.8, so 2.1 is only an uplift of 15% or so.  

• 4 weeks later...
Nice!  My company are telling me how great the relocation package is instead [emoji20]

Well, to be fair, I didn’t get one. All self-funded, since it’s my choice.

But you can certainly argue that NOT receiving a pay rise, is a pay cut. Why are they giving you a pay cut to move? Do they want you to move to a local company that pays market rate?
;-)