Visa 189 Eligible skilled occupations

elboras

Hi all,

I am interested in applying for Visa 189. I am confident I can get around 80 points (test pass mark is 65) as I have relevant working experience, PhD, English certification, working experience in Australia under a visa 457, etc.

I am Chemist and I have been checking the Eligible Skilled Occupations for the Visa 189 and my profession is not included for this visa (https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/work/work/skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/combined-stsol-mltssl).

Am I eligible to apply for this visa anyway? Would it be rejected?

I worked in Australia under a visa 457 but could not find a sponsor to apply for a permanent visa. I am now living in Spain and I want to secure a permanent residency as I find really hard to find a job that sponsors me.

Thanks in advance

Borja

If your occupation is not on the list then you can’t even apply. You would need to pass a skills assessment before you submit an expression of interest. Maybe speak to a registered agent to see if there are any other closely related occupations that you could work towards.

Either way don’t waste your time or money until you know you have a good chance success and don’t make any false claims as it will damage your chances in the future if the occupation did make it onto the list.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. Chemist is on the list, but apparently not demanded for visa 189. When I was working under the 457, I was considered University Tutor by my employer. Unfortunately, this occupation is also excluded for 189. Seeing my profile, would you recommend me other visa to apply to?

Cheers

For the 489 you need to hold a subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496, don't you? I don't have any visa at the moment. Chemistry technician is included on the 190 but I am unsure if that occupation fits me. Does anybody know if VETASSESS can check your CV and tell you what occupations suits you? I would like to know that before doing any skill assessment.

Edited by elboras

For the 489 you need to hold a subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496, don't you? I don't have any visa at the moment. Chemistry technician is included on the 190 but I am unsure if that occupation fits me. Does anybody know if VETASSESS can check your CV and tell you what occupations suits you? I would like to know that before doing any skill assessment.
You don't have to hold any visa to apply for the 489.

9 hours ago, elboras said:

No, you don't need to hold any visa in order to apply for a 489. In fact few people do. No, vestasses won't check what occupation you can apply for, that is the job of a migration agent and I would recommend you do consult one. To be honest, I am not surprised there isn't much call for chemistry migrants as I have friends Australian born and bred with chem PhDs and bag loads of experience struggling for work. 

After reading this article I am a bit confused (https://pathwaytoaus.com/blog/what-are-my-options-if-my-occupation-is-not-on-the-mltssl/). According to this article if the occupation is on the MLTSOL list you might be able to apply for a 189 visa. Is this correct? Chemist is on the MLTSOL list. Is that enough or it also needs to have 189 on visa subclasses?

Edited by elboras

3 hours ago, elboras said:

I attached a screenshot for Chemist to clarify things

Screenshot_20180830-195606.png

There are different MLTSSL and STSOL for different programs.

Chemist is not on the 189/190 MLTSSL and STSOL. 

Chemist is on the 186/187/482 and 407 MLTSSL and STSOL. 

Trying to obtain a clear answer to your specific situation, on a public forum, based on such minimal information is not ideal.

A paid assessment of your specific situation by a Registered Migration Agent would be advisable.

Thanks Raul and everyone for your kind help. As I only consider visas that gives PR from overseas (I have a family I don't want any risks), my options are: wait for Chemist to be included on 189/190 or consult a migration agent to see if my working experience fits with another occupation.