My Aussie kids- living in the UK

Kirsten77

Hi all! Any help greatly appreciated!

I have a UK passport as my father was born in the UK (i was born and have lived in Australia all my life).

My child is a 5yo Australian citizen with an Australian passport.

If we go to the UK for 1-2 months and I decide to settle there can my child stay too? Do i need to apply for a visa for my child to stay?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Kirsten. Your earlier post on this subject has received replies, however in brief I think the consensus view is (in the circumstances you describe) as a British citizen by descent you cannot pass that status on to your child and s/he will need a visa to enter the UK. A qualified Migration Agent would be better placed to give you definitive advice though. Tx www.gov.uk/find-an-immigration-adviser

Yup, you would be the same as my son who gained citizenship by descent through me.  My grandkids do not get citizenship and your son will need a visa as family of a settled person.  If you had lived in UK for a period before having your child then you might have been able to pass citizenship down to the next generation.

59 minutes ago, Kirsten77 said:

Thanks T & Q...

I was just curious if we enter UK on a tourist visa to visit then decide decide to stay and live can we then apply whilst in UK for my sons settlement?

Or would we have to fly back to Oz and apply from there?

TIA

surely a ferry to France would suffice worst case .....

43 minutes ago, can1983 said:

surely a ferry to France would suffice worst case .....

I'm not sure it would. I know when I applied for my oh's visa, he had to apply from Australia.  We looked into it because we'd contemplated going for a visit then travelling Europe while we waited for it, but no go.

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Ian trinder said:

Hi everyone,

Just to confirm; my boys 21 & 19 have dual nationality and both have only ever lived in Australia but have visited the UK for family holidays and have British Passports.

Can they accompany my wife and I and live and work in the UK unconditionally ?

Regards, Ian

Yep, they are British citizens. They will just need to apply for national health service numbers and NI numbers, which is very simple.