Utility Prices

TiaCapan

I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question....it all depends on usage.

But seriously, the cost of gas and electricity seems to have gone through the roof. 

I've just received my highest ever electricity bill (for a quarter) after living in this house for 18 months, and I was overseas for three weeks of the billing period. The only thing left on was the fridge. Every thing else was unplugged. 

I'm out at work five days per week, I don't have aircon, I use the dryer maybe once per month and there are no appliances left on other than the fridge and  mobile phone charging overnight. I use the dishwasher maybe twice per week, and wash up by hand the rest of the time. 

Has anyone else noticed the hike? 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Toots said:

I'm expecting our electricity bill this week.  Yes, Aurora Energy has the monopoly.

mine was $795 for the quarter :0

but we have a new baby so heating requirement is high with high occupancy time at home

I always chuckle when people say turn your tv off at the wall as standby uses lots of power. Irrelevant compared to heating costs in a house with walls made from plasticine

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, can1983 said:

mine was $795 for the quarter :0

but we have a new baby so heating requirement is high with high occupancy time at home

I always chuckle when people say turn your tv off at the wall as standby uses lots of power. Irrelevant compared to heating costs in a house with walls made from plasticine

That's pretty high.  I try to use off peak as much as possible and we have a log burner and solar plus decent insulation so I'm hoping the bill isn't too much of a shocker.  Yes, it is a different story if you have a baby and need the heating on far more.

Ours is high, $850 in summer and $650 in winter (after discount of 28% on usage!) We do have a pool pump running and a pump for solar pool heating but there’s only 2 of us!
We’ve opted for solar, to see how that helps. We’ve produced an average 32.5kwh per day over the last 3 weeks, pretty good for winter!

Ours is high, $850 in summer and $650 in winter (after discount of 28% on usage!) We do have a pool pump running and a pump for solar pool heating but there’s only 2 of us!
We’ve opted for solar, to see how that helps. We’ve produced an average 32.5kwh per day over the last 3 weeks, pretty good for winter!

7 hours ago, kevsan said:

So has your usage increased or have your charges gone up??? If its usage you'll need to find the culprits and try and reduce those. if its charges, shop around and see if you can get a better deal

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Kevsan, usage is no different, just the price seems to have shot up.

You mightn't want/need some of these but these are our monthly outgoings (3 adults, 4x2 house, pool, R/C air con). No loans or cards, doesn't include drinks/entertaining/eating out. We are in Perth btw. Some of these are non-monthly bills pro-rated.

image.png.ccdb859d76e012ac7ae8b08c8013c15a.png

Edited by s713

18 hours ago, TiaCapan said:

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Kevsan, usage is no different, just the price seems to have shot up.

So who's your current provider and what rates are they now charging - if you share those, we might be able to help suggest options

2 hours ago, s713 said:

You mightn't want/need some of these but these are our monthly outgoings (3 adults, 4x2 house, pool, R/C air con). No loans or cards, doesn't include drinks/entertaining/eating out. We are in Perth btw. Some of these are non-monthly bills pro-rated.

Sorry, wrong thread for this.

10 hours ago, s713 said:

what thread is this discussion on? seems right up my alley ?