Costs

Siobhan_Enty

Hi myself, my husband and 2 boys (currently aged 5 and 1) are in the process of applying to move to Australia....we are thinking Queensland. Has anyone got any advice? Especially the monthly cost of living for a famoly of four? Tips for schooling children. Job hunting....now vs when we get there...or anything else we might need to know.
Thank you.

Oops, not sure what happened there!

Some people say Australia is more expensive than the UK, but having been back in the UK a couple of years ago, I'd say that day-to-day living is much the same, EXCEPT for housing.  Just like in the UK, the cost of housing varies massively depending which part of the country you're in.  Houses in Sydney cost twice as much as houses in Tasmania, for instance.   You can check out realestate.com.au to get an idea of house prices in the area you're thinking of.

Depending on your occupation, it is sometimes possible to find an employer to sponsor you for a job in Australia - BUT that usually just gets you a temporary visa for 2-4 years.  The advantage is that the employer will pay your relocation costs there and back, and it gives you a chance to find out if you like Australia.  However, it's risky - because the Australian government keeps changing the rules all the time. We've had many families on these forums, who came on a sponsored visa, worked through the contract planning to apply for PR at the end - and then found  their occupations had been removed from the list, and they had no choice but to go home.  Depending on the age of your children, it can be disruptive to move them to a different education system for 2-4 years and then move them back again.

So, I would say that if you want to move, then you should aim for a permanent visa.  The process takes months and no employer is going to offer you a position and then hold the job open for an uncertain length of time.  Therefore, you need to get the visa first, before you start looking for a job. Even then, you will struggle to find work from the UK, unless your occupation is in very short supply - which it probably isn't.  Unemployment is about the same in Australia as in the UK.  Don't assume that because your occupation is on the list, that means employers are desperately short of applicants.  The current advice is that migrants should assume they'll take six months to find a job when they first arrive, and make sure you arrive with enough money to survive on.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did a back of of the envelop tally and according to that we need about $5k per month for a family of 4 in Melbourne. That’s living in SE suburbs with rent of $650 per week. However how I live and how you live could be vastly different!

5 hours ago, ABG said:

I did a back of of the envelop tally and according to that we need about $5k per month for a family of 4 in Melbourne. That’s living in SE suburbs with rent of $650 per week. However how I live and how you live could be vastly different!

Thank you for posting your numbers

For me 5k would be a bit tight when the rent is $650 (although of course you consider it ok). We can cope fine on $5k a month running two cars (without finance) no private medical 2 young children local holidays but our rent is only $400 / wk.

I would say $6k to cover the rent increase for Melbourne compared to where we live (Hobart)

For Sydney I would say $6500 - $7000 take home is needed.

When we lived in Sydney in 2013 we were DINKY and had 11k take home. At that time we were flush didn't need that much at all

10 hours ago, Siobhan_Enty said:

Thank you. We just want a rough idea. We wouldn't live in the city but in a suburb. I'm so excited about coming but then I have waves of panic about jobs and living costs. 

Apart from the cost of housing, everything else will cost the same whether you live in the inner city or in an outer suburb.  Bear in mind that Australian cities are very sprawling, so if you do live in an outer suburb, you're going to have a long commute and expensive fares.

8 hours ago, can1983 said:

Thank you for posting your numbers

For me 5k would be a bit tight when the rent is $650 (although of course you consider it ok). We can cope fine on $5k a month running two cars (without finance) no private medical 2 young children local holidays but our rent is only $400 / wk.

I would say $6k to cover the rent increase for Melbourne compared to where we live (Hobart)

For Sydney I would say $6500 - $7000 take home is needed.

When we lived in Sydney in 2013 we were DINKY and had 11k take home. At that time we were flush didn't need that much at all

My numbers could quite possibly be off - we're moving next week so don't have an accurate idea of the costs.  This is what I based it on:

Rent - $2700
TV - $50
Internet - $70
Elec - $150
Water - $30
Healthcare - $300
Food & general - $1400
Petrol - $200
Car insurance - 60
Home insurance - $50

I should probably have mentioned that with our household budget, we never include discretionary/entertainment in the cost; this is what our outgoings from our joint account would be, savings and fun money comes out of individual accounts after living expenses, so take home would need to be higher than the above.  It also doesn't cover things like rego ($800 I believe per car, per year in Vic).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Apart from the cost of housing, everything else will cost the same whether you live in the inner city or in an outer suburb.  Bear in mind that Australian cities are very sprawling, so if you do live in an outer suburb, you're going to have a long commute and expensive fares.

Although this depends on where you love and work. We live outer suburbs Melb and pay 1700/month rent. We don't work in CBD, but each have a half hour drive so not a long commute or expensive fares. Although train fares in Melb from outer suburbs are only 40 bucks a week anyway which I don't class as expensive, having lived in outer suburbs of London and that was an expensive commute!! 

Edited by Beffers
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Beffers said:

Although this depends on where you love and work. We live outer suburbs Melb and pay 1700/month rent. We don't work in CBD, but each have a half hour drive so not a long commute or expensive fares. Although train fares in Melb from outer suburbs are only 40 bucks a week anyway which I don't class as expensive, having lived in outer suburbs of London and that was an expensive commute!! 

20 mins on the push bike from Queen Vic Market.

$1868 a month on rent
$50 a month on water
$60 a month on t'internet
$200 a month on electric
If you are renting, council tax is taken care of by the landlord.  In our case gas is also taken care of.

Edited by unzippy
  • Like 1

Sorry posted in wrong thread.

You mightn't want/need some of these but these are our monthly outgoings (3 adults, 4x2 house, pool, R/C air con). No loans or cards, doesn't include drinks/entertaining/eating out. We are in Perth btw. Some of these are non-monthly bills pro-rated.

image.png.ccdb859d76e012ac7ae8b08c8013c15a.png

Edited by s713
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So 2 weeks in country: you blow through your money quickly! We’ve gone through about $25k already! Lots of things that don’t require upfront payment in UK does here. We have bought a car (8k) and lots of furniture and house hold items (7k), but then upfront costs to bear in mind:
- rent (ours is 2800/month)
- bond (2800)
- driving licence x2 (550)
- internet set up 280
- school uniforms 350
- school contribution (70/ term)
- foxtel/tv (125)
- health insurance 350
- ambulance cover 90

Hopefully that’s the bulk of the big ticket items; I’m just glad I’ve arrived with work!

• Like 1

On 20/09/2018 at 08:35, ABG said:

- internet set up 280

Wow?!?!? What?

Our licenses was about $50 to transfer and we've just renewed for another 3 years for about $80 each. We are in Vic.

Internet was just the first payment - $65.

That seems big numbers

8 minutes ago, kevsan said:

Wow?!?!? What?

Our licenses was about $50 to transfer and we've just renewed for another 3 years for about $80 each. We are in Vic.

Internet was just the first payment - $65.

That seems big numbers

We got hit with $275 per licence (10 years).   We also had to pay $18 per applicant for the privilege of going into VicRoads to make the swap!!  The one thing I will say is that they were very helpful.  We didn't have our proof of address with us but they were happy for me to show them our address on my phone banking app, and then with my wife, I signed the section that I knew her so she didn't have to prove address.  In every other country I've lived in before we would have been sent home and told to rebook and come in when we have the right paper work.

Our internet is $60 per month, but had to pay the first month upfront, pay $100 for the router  (month-to-month contract as we're waiting for NBN to be installed in our area), connection/installation fee was $100, plus we had to make a $20 advance payment for phone as we didn't want any set monthly home phone contract as we don't use it.  

19 minutes ago, ABG said:

$20 advance payment for phone as we didn't want any set monthly home phone contract as we don't use it.  

TPG?

I had a long row with them over this - along the lines of I'm only getting a landline so I can have internet and I can guarantee there will be no phone calls as I don't have a telephone to plug in.

I got nowhere?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, unzippy said:

TPG?

I had a long row with them over this - along the lines of I'm only getting a landline so I can have internet and I can guarantee there will be no phone calls as I don't have a telephone to plug in.

I got nowhere?

You nailed it!  I initially signed up with Optus as they said I could get fibre.  They then cancelled the order saying its not available so I'm now stuck in the slow internet ghetto.  NBN is in my suburb, guess not yet at my address yet.

26 minutes ago, ABG said:

You nailed it!  I initially signed up with Optus as they said I could get fibre.  They then cancelled the order saying its not available so I'm now stuck in the slow internet ghetto.  NBN is in my suburb, guess not yet at my address yet.

I'm in Moonee Ponds and on 12mbs - max.  No sign of NBN yet.

I'm eyeing the monstrous tower blocks going up nearby and wondering how much of my bandwidth they will be soaking up?

39 minutes ago, unzippy said:

I'm in Moonee Ponds and on 12mbs - max.  No sign of NBN yet.

I'm eyeing the monstrous tower blocks going up nearby and wondering how much of my bandwidth they will be soaking up?

Construction stage

Build commenced

Planned to be available from

Jan-Jun 2020*

?

On 20/09/2018 at 08:35, ABG said:

So 2 weeks in country: you blow through your money quickly! We’ve gone through about $25k already! Lots of things that don’t require upfront payment in UK does here. We have bought a car (8k) and lots of furniture and house hold items (7k), but then upfront costs to bear in mind:
- rent (ours is 2800/month)
- bond (2800)
- internet set up 280
- school uniforms 350
- school contribution (70/ term)
- foxtel/tv (125)
- health insurance 350
- ambulance cover 90

Hopefully that’s the bulk of the big ticket items; I’m just glad I’ve arrived with work!

Several optional items there (Foxtel etc)

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2018 at 23:35, ABG said:

So 2 weeks in country: you blow through your money quickly! We’ve gone through about $25k already! Lots of things that don’t require upfront payment in UK does here.....

how have you and your family settled in @ABG? am moving in the next 7 weeks to VIC too. some of your costs have me freaked out!??

but still the best decision I've made I believe.?

2 hours ago, SWMOY04 said:

how have you and your family settled in @ABG? am moving in the next 7 weeks to VIC too. some of your costs have me freaked out!??

but still the best decision I've made I believe.?

Settled in and loving it! It can definitely be done cheaper, but I had a job already set up and so we chose properties etc as people earning a salary, rather than looking for a cheaper place and saving money. Definitely the best decision we've made

• Like 3