Show us your fish

Leighbee98

Nope! I did in the UK and actually worked in the industry but it's whole new ball game here. You don't need heaters in Qld, you need coolers as the ambient temp is above that of reef fish environment

I bred and sold the nastiest of S American Cichlids because that was what Aussies seemed to go for. They aren't allowed to be imported now so I had to breed with what stock was already in the country. You can see my stock here:

• Like 1

No need to, I have Redcliffe islands to view coral gardens and exotic reef fish, Cape Hillsborough National Park and Leeper Reef. All are an easily accessible walk when the tide is  out.

And, of course, my fishing possie...

P1060825.JPG.caebbfe112f07f1f3c3f561f01cd21f9.JPG

P1060829.JPG.4fae39f87cafd8c4528242782eb9e49b.JPG

P1060838.JPG.e18f553a4cb88a73f1665ac4f31d5a94.JPG

P1060841.JPG.d853ba6412887295da7fab242b1a850d.JPG

Redcliffe Islands are in the Newry Island National Park, near Seaforth, Central Coastal Qld and Cape Hillsborough are a 10 minute drive from home,  while Leeper Reef is between Sarina Beach and Campwin Beach, all being part of the Whitsundays area, Qld.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leighbee98 said:

Wow @Bobj

I suppose there really is no need to keep them at home when you have that on the doorstep. 

I hope our visas work out ... id love this so much.

Thanks, mate. So, where do you hope to move to; subject to work?

Cheers, Bobj.

I used to keep cichlids (Lake Malawi) in Aus.  We started off with a big tank/few fish, but they obviously loved it because we ended up with enough fish to sell back to the aquarium shop we got them from.  We also had two plecos, which started off tiny but ended up about 30cm long.  We sold those back to the aquarium shop too, and bought two small ones again to grow.

We won't have fish in the UK.  I enjoyed them whilst we had them, but I don't have the free time now.  I've got too much other stuff on my plate to give them the time and attention that they need/deserve.

38 minutes ago, Bobj said:

Thanks, mate. So, where do you hope to move to; subject to work?

Cheers, Bobj.

We are still investigating to be honest but QLD would be top of the list (subject to work)

i want to be warm, bigger home than in the uk, and near the ocean (fishes reef etc)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Leighbee98 said:

We are still investigating to be honest but QLD would be top of the list (subject to work)

i want to be warm, bigger home than in the uk, and near the ocean (fishes reef etc)

I've said it before, Queensland is hot, not warm.  I would strongly recommend planning a visit to your chosen part of Queensland in January/February.   Queensland in winter (July/August) is gorgeous - but different people have different reactions to summer in Queensland.   You may both revel in the heat, or find yourself hibernating in the air con.  You'll know very quickly which boat you're in.

48 minutes ago, Skani said:

And humid hot for much of the year, not dry heat which can be very different.

Some people enjoy humidity - I'm not one of them.  I found Sydney humid after living in Perth and Qld more humid than Sydney.

58 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I've said it before, Queensland is hot, not warm.  I would strongly recommend planning a visit to your chosen part of Queensland in January/February.   Queensland in winter (July/August) is gorgeous - but different people have different reactions to summer in Queensland.   You may both revel in the heat, or find yourself hibernating in the air con.  You'll know very quickly which boat you're in.

The south east has quite a good climate...up until May, then it gets many frosts along the Great Divide, Stanthorpe, etc.

I live just north of Mackay, in the tropics and in 20 years, have yet to see an old type century (100 F)

And...NEVER suss out areas in the northern part of Qld during 'The Wet'. And that comes from 35 years of living north of the Tropic Of Capricorn. Why? Cyclones and deluges....But after you experience Wyndham, any place is OK...?

If you do try Qld places in Jan/Feb, you will experience 2 months of rain, heat and humidity (northern part) and miss out on the next 10 months. Better to look-see after The Wet, say about middle April, onwards. A newchum to tropical Qld, or any area in northern Australia in Jan/Feb, as suggested, from the UK, would be hard pressed to understand that the other 10 months are a pleasure to behold.

Cheers, Bobj.

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

We are planning a trip in Feb to visit 4 areas over 4 weeks...  even then that wont be enough to see what we want to. 

For the record... have you seen the film "Little Nicky"  he sleeps in ski clothes, in a sleeping bag on top of the radiator.... that's my wife

I on the other hand am built like a seal (unfortunately not a navy SEAL)

• Haha 2

On 17/05/2018 at 06:07, Leighbee98 said:

Wow @Bobj

I suppose there really is no need to keep them at home when you have that on the doorstep. 

I hope our visas work out ... id love this so much.

A couple more, just to whet your apatite, @Leighbee98.

Gunther's wrasse.

297211293_Guntherswrasse.thumb.jpg.5fcb301dafaed80458a12d8d6a375f2a.jpg

Stripey, aka spanish flag.

Stripey.jpg.6a12934eca7f3d0e1d1c36e6d3c49880.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest The Pom Queen
On 17/05/2018 at 16:08, Marisawright said:

Queensland is a huge place. Where we are it’s absolutely freezing at the moment and getting down to -5, I hate the cold so don’t think it’s gorgeous at all lol. Summer isn’t that hot either where we are.

Far North Queensland is totally different and I would agree with your statement although we don’t have seasons like Spring, Summer, Autumn Winter, it’s either wet or dry, but the dry season which would be equivalent to winter is lovely and around 25 degrees, it can still drop down to 10 degrees.

Its funny as a lot of people say the humidity in Queensland is bad. I’ve never once been bothered by it. Hubby struggled in wet season in Cairns but most of the time you are under aircon anyway, ie in the house, car, work (unless you work outdoors) and shops. 

Guest The Pom Queen
On 16/05/2018 at 21:46, Leighbee98 said:

Is anyone keeping Marine fish and or corals? Anyone using natural sea water too?

Show us your tanks.

importedjan2012013.JPG

I always wanted a marine tank but was always put off with people saying they require so much maintenance. The local pet shop here currently as seahorses and jelly fish which are so beautiful.

10 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

I always wanted a marine tank but was always put off with people saying they require so much maintenance. The local pet shop here currently as seahorses and jelly fish which are so beautiful.

There is no doubt there is a lot of maintenance but this all depends on the type of tank you keep. A full reef tank with coral (there are three type Soft coral = easy, lps = moderate and sps = hard). I had a full reef with sps coral that was growing nicely, this involved weekly water changes and a computerised drip dosing of the essential elements to keep the tank stable as the coral consumed the nutrients. Constant measuring to ensure the tank was balanced and livestock happy. (I figured keeping live animals and invertebrates it was essential to keep them as happy as possible, like a dog, cat etc) perhaps there is a job there for me keeping folks tanks healthy for them...!

We have now booked a trip to Oz in February so we can see what the climate is like that time of year, we will see Sydney and the surrounding areas, gold coast, brisbane and sunshine coast. Little holiday in the middle to Hamilton island too... cant wait. Our EOI goes in this week too.. its all very exciting but keeping an open mind as im sure it will take time as our lead skill is General Accountant (i notice the points dropped on the 11th Aug round for accountants to 80 so this is helpful...I think)

I really cant wait, although ill have to..to start a new adventure.. 40  years this way up another 40 the other way up sounds exciting to me.

As little Dory says... just keep swimming.. (Dory is a regal Tang who can grow to quite a size... she needs vegetation to graze on and can be quite dominant in the tank... dont add another tang afterwards... eeek)

Guest The Pom Queen

Maybe you have found a market there, setting up and maintaining marine tanks. If I had one I’d like, Dory, Clownfish, Seahorses and Jelly fish. Knowing my luck they probably don’t all go together so I’d have to get multiple tanks. Our water is terrible here as well because we are on bore so don’t.

February isn’t long off, it sounds a great itinerary just don’t tire yourselves out though. 

4 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

Maybe you have found a market there, setting up and maintaining marine tanks. If I had one I’d like, Dory, Clownfish, Seahorses and Jelly fish. Knowing my luck they probably don’t all go together so I’d have to get multiple tanks. Our water is terrible here as well because we are on bore so don’t.

February isn’t long off, it sounds a great itinerary just don’t tire yourselves out though. 

You are right, you would need to seperate...  the ocean has loads of space and tank not so much. Regal Tang and Clown fish no problem, but the sea gee gees and jellys are usually kept separate (Sea horses are easy to keep... never been a fan personally.. was it Finding Nemo that said "pony boy"!! ha ha)

7 flights in all in Feb... all with a 2 year old.. we must be mad. (Mad or stupid... ill report back in March)

Guest The Pom Queen
8 minutes ago, Leighbee98 said:

You are right, you would need to seperate...  the ocean has loads of space and tank not so much. Regal Tang and Clown fish no problem, but the sea gee gees and jellys are usually kept separate (Sea horses are easy to keep... never been a fan personally.. was it Finding Nemo that said "pony boy"!! ha ha)

7 flights in all in Feb... all with a 2 year old.. we must be mad. (Mad or stupid... ill report back in March)

Make sure you join one of the airline reward programs, with the amount of flights you are doing you would easily qualify for a free flight even if only domestic 

2 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

Make sure you join one of the airline reward programs, with the amount of flights you are doing you would easily qualify for a free flight even if only domestic 

Would you believe we have thousands upon thousands of Virgin miles... cant use any of them even though singapore airlines are a partner and says you can spend them. (our flight from SIN to SYD is megga money as we wanted a night flight... lets hope economy are full and we get upgraded.

I did get a free (apart from taxes) holiday in June by using BA mile... result that was

We do have kris flyer membership so hopefully they will rack up.