Enrolling into school on temp Visa

Mandy3112

Hi all, 

Looking for some advice from anyone else in my situation. We came to Sydney in January on a 3 month visitor Visa. We have just applied for the Last remaining relative Visa (835) and been accepted and granted a BVA WA, with rights to study. 

Does this mean I do not have to pay the school fees for my daughter to go into primary school? Or are we classed as temp residents even though we are awaiting PR?

35 minutes ago, Mandy3112 said:

Hi all, 

Looking for some advice from anyone else in my situation. We came to Sydney in January on a 3 month visitor Visa. We have just applied for the Last remaining relative Visa (835) and been accepted and granted a BVA WA, with rights to study. 

Does this mean I do not have to pay the school fees for my daughter to go into primary school? Or are we classed as temp residents even though we are awaiting PR?

You aren't a permanent resident until PR is granted, which on a Remaining Resident Visa could be many years in the future.

You would need to check with the schools about rules for people on Bridging Visas

15 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Page 7 seems to have the short answer, it would be treated like a temporary visa. That's a shedload of cash over the years as the waiting time on Remainng Resident is over 50 years.

Good luck Mandy, hope you have thought your plan through well :) 

• Thanks 1

Thank you, I have been in touch with the dept of education and the fees are 5k per year. This I don't have a problem with as I only have one child. It's a small price to pay to give her a better education than she was receiving in the uk. 

The processing time for my Visa is unfortunate, but again, trivial when it gives us a life with our family rather than being in an austerity ridden Scotland with terrible health care and crap weather!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mandy3112 said:

Thank you, I have been in touch with the dept of education and the fees are 5k per year. This I don't have a problem with as I only have one child. It's a small price to pay to give her a better education than she was receiving in the uk. 

The processing time for my Visa is unfortunate, but again, trivial when it gives us a life with our family rather than being in an austerity ridden Scotland with terrible health care and crap weather!

I'm surprised.  My ex-husband was a teacher in both the Scottish and Australian systems and felt the Scottish system was superior.   No argument about health care, although given you're not entitled to use most of the public system, you're not going to get the best chance to compare. 

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I'm surprised.  My ex-husband was a teacher in both the Scottish and Australian systems and felt the Scottish system was superior.   No argument about health care, although given you're not entitled to use most of the public system, you're not going to get the best chance to compare. 

The Scottish system used to be brilliant but a new curriculum was introduced in approx 2010 and it's been going downhill ever since. I was at a training course in Sydney not long ago and got chatting to 3 other teachers who migrated from Scotland in the last year or so. From what they were saying the new system there is a complete shambles and experienced teachers are leaving from all over.  One of those things that looks good in theory but doesn't actually work but Govt isn't listening to teachers so it's unlikely to get any better. Such a shame.

• 1 month later...
On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 13:41, Mandy3112 said:

Hi Mandy, I don't know how old your child is, but It might be worth starting some sort of saving fund in case your child wants to study at Uni (given the waiting time for this visa).