2018, is type of discrimination still allowed?

unzippy

Easing myself back into the job market.  Got a pdf titled "ethos, values and guiding principles.pdf" through in preparation for an interview tomorrow.

I'm not making this up - an excerpt:

A dress code applies and is to be upheld by all staff at all times. A strict differentiation between male and female dress must be maintained. The wearing of short trousers by male staff is not considered appropriate, and female staff must wear dresses or skirts (at least knee-length), and clothing must be modest and not revealing or low cut in design. Staff must present for duties with a neat and tidy standard of dress and general presentation so as to be a role model for students.  Unorthodox or casual dress, and unshaven appearance or long hair for men is inconsistent with
the attitude and image promoted by the school.

I don't think this is going to be the job for mexD

3 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Easing myself back into the job market.  Got a pdf titled "ethos, values and guiding principles.pdf" through in preparation for an interview tomorrow.

I'm not making this up - an excerpt:

I don't think this is going to be the job for mexD

What sort of job is it and where?  Sounds like something from the 1950s or some sort of strange religious setup.  The bit stating "neat and tidy standard of dress and general presentation" is OK though.

• Like 1

Sounds like it is for a school as it refers to students. I would take it that it is a private/religious school? They can set their own rules it seems.

A private school in my state recently sacked a teacher for being gay. I thought that kind of discrimination would not be allowed in 2018, however, it apparently it is because it is both a private and religious school.

Edited by Sammy1
  • Like 1

It sounds like it's a 'Brethren' school. They're one of the most fundamentalist Christian sects in existence with some very strange practices.

As Sammy says above, religious schools are exempt from some anti-discrimination laws that everyone else takes for granted. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sammy1 said:

Sounds like it is for a school as it refers to students. I would take it that it is a private/religious school? They can set their own rules it seems.

A private school in my state recently sacked a teacher for being gay. I thought that kind of discrimination would not be allowed in 2018, however, it apparently it is because it is both a private and religious school.

No way!

I don't believe that. They must have been crippled by the courts surely?

11 minutes ago, NickyNook said:

It sounds like it's a 'Brethren' school. They're one of the most fundamentalist Christian sects in existence with some very strange practices.

As Sammy says above, religious schools are exempt from some anti-discrimination laws that everyone else takes for granted. 

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/gay-teacher-fired-by-south-coast-baptist-college-in-waikiki-sparking-debate-about-discrimination-rights-of-religious-schools-ng-b88665819z

As they say, WA stands for wait awhile. Hopefully they will be joining the 21st century any minute now.

• Haha 1

I think it’s probably ok to say to not to have your puppies out in the front yard as well. Neat and tidy is good. 

I had an interview with a GP practice where the doctors were all part of the brethren, that was interesting.

I’d not be good with not being able to wear trousers. Got serious trunky limbs.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

Just reading a bit more about it - it seems that taxpayer dollars fund these private schools, ouch.

I quite often see (mainly female) members of the Brethren.  They all wear longish skirts, high neck tops and a head covering.   This is an article about their school funding.

The sect has 31 schools in Australia - in NSW, Queensland, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania - teaching 3823 children until the end of high school.

As the Brethren do not believe in tertiary education, they must hire non-members of the sect to teach in their schools. A teacher who recently left one of the sect's three Oakwood schools in Tasmania said he did so in disgust at the "complete control" over the children and their education imposed by the Brethren.

"I didn't want to contribute to a system in which the control over the children was so complete," the teacher said.

"The children are told what jobs they will do and who they will marry. They were not being equipped to live in the outside world. The Brethren were cutting off the children's pathways."

Most modern novels were banned, pages were removed even from permitted 19th-century works and entire chapters were censored from science books.

"One science book had all the chapters on reproduction cut out," one teacher said. "Most modern texts were banned."

Teachers reported positives, such as excellent reading skills among the children and an absence of violent or abusive behaviour, but said pupils could be difficult to discipline because they did not believe they needed to heed the word of outsiders.

John Saunders, chief executive of the Brethren's Hobart campus of Oakwood School, rejected the criticisms. "'Our school community, including non-Brethren staff and teachers, has an understanding, respect and a commitment to abide by the school ethos," he said.

"This ethos upholds scriptural principles, including the teachings of Christ and the apostles. Our school is a Christian fundamentalist school with a secular curriculum. Many modern-day novels are rejected on the basis they are contrary to the truth of scripture. The parents have set up the Oakwood school to protect their children from the rapid moral decline in today's society."

• Thanks 1

I missed the funding bit out. 

It can now be revealed that five more campuses of the Exclusive Brethren Christian Church around Australia are receiving more public funding per student than up to a thousand of the nation's public schools.

In total, up to $26.6 million in state and federal funding is going to the church's six campuses each year.

4 minutes ago, Toots said:

I missed the funding bit out. 

It can now be revealed that five more campuses of the Exclusive Brethren Christian Church around Australia are receiving more public funding per student than up to a thousand of the nation's public schools.

In total, up to $26.6 million in state and federal funding is going to the church's six campuses each year.

That's quite disgustingly wrong, on all levels :(

2 hours ago, Toots said:

I quite often see (mainly female) members of the Brethren.  They all wear longish skirts, high neck tops and a head covering.   This is an article about their school funding.

The sect has 31 schools in Australia - in NSW, Queensland, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania - teaching 3823 children until the end of high school.

As the Brethren do not believe in tertiary education, they must hire non-members of the sect to teach in their schools. A teacher who recently left one of the sect's three Oakwood schools in Tasmania said he did so in disgust at the "complete control" over the children and their education imposed by the Brethren.

"I didn't want to contribute to a system in which the control over the children was so complete," the teacher said.

"The children are told what jobs they will do and who they will marry. They were not being equipped to live in the outside world. The Brethren were cutting off the children's pathways."

Most modern novels were banned, pages were removed even from permitted 19th-century works and entire chapters were censored from science books.

"One science book had all the chapters on reproduction cut out," one teacher said. "Most modern texts were banned."

Teachers reported positives, such as excellent reading skills among the children and an absence of violent or abusive behaviour, but said pupils could be difficult to discipline because they did not believe they needed to heed the word of outsiders.

John Saunders, chief executive of the Brethren's Hobart campus of Oakwood School, rejected the criticisms. "'Our school community, including non-Brethren staff and teachers, has an understanding, respect and a commitment to abide by the school ethos," he said.

"This ethos upholds scriptural principles, including the teachings of Christ and the apostles. Our school is a Christian fundamentalist school with a secular curriculum. Many modern-day novels are rejected on the basis they are contrary to the truth of scripture. The parents have set up the Oakwood school to protect their children from the rapid moral decline in today's society."

Anything with the word fundamentalist is to be avoided.

• Like 1

They are a law unto themselves in every respect.

I know because I was born into the exclusive brethren.

I went to high school just before the brethren started their own schools thank goodness. I was kicked out/excommunicated (they call it ‘withdrawn from’) at the age of 16 for going to the theatre to see a Shakespeare play my class were studying for English. Nothing is more important than the brethren, they believe they are special and have been born into greatness that places them above all other souls on earth. I lost all contact and forms of communication with my parents siblings and all my extended family overnight when I was kicked out and although the leadership has softened the rules slightly their dogma is unchanged. I would steer clear of any business,schools or so called charity work they do (their charity is the RRT which has a facebook page) which has ‘compassion’ as its motto. They now do charity work so they can continue to register as a charity and get tax free dollars. No other reason.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I get confused with the different types of Brethern.  There's Plymouth Brethern and Exclusive Brethern.  The Brethern ladies and girls I see here (saw a group of them today having a picnic) all have long hair, long skirts/dresses and a head scarf type of thing.  I don't think they are Plymouth Brethern??  OR is their another type of Brethern?

I get confused with the different types of Brethern.  There's Plymouth Brethern and Exclusive Brethern.  The Brethern ladies and girls I see here (saw a group of them today having a picnic) all have long hair, long skirts/dresses and a head scarf type of thing.  I don't think they are Plymouth Brethern??  OR is their another type of Brethern?

You’re right there are a few different types but it’s important to know that this particular one is called either :-
Exclusive Brethren
Or Plymouth brethren
Or Plymouth Brethren Christian Church
Are all the same brethren church they use these three names for a bit of confusion. This is definitely the brethren church the OP was offered the interview with. I recognise it, no other ones are as dogmatic, racist, homophobic and sexist.
  • Like 1