29 years in Oz... still don't feel settled.

TazG

I moved here when I was 14 with my family.  To this day, I still don't feel like I belong.  I have moved around a lot over here... In total 42 times in my lifetime.  I have always wanted to go home.  I have gone through the process of having my Aussie teenage children's British citizenship acknowledged and they have UK passports now.  We are seriously considering moving.  The only cons are.... work when we get there.  I am studying to be a solicitor atm.  NHS - how long that would take to sort as Daughter 1 is type 1 diabetic and will need supplies when we land almost.  Children's education... Daughter 1 will be ready for University at the end of next year.  Its been so long since I have been there.  We are going over Easter next year to see how we feel about it all.  I love the cooler climate.  Give me a snowy day over a typical brisbane summer day!

Has anyone else felt this way?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TazG said:

I moved here when I was 14 with my family.  To this day, I still don't feel like I belong.  I have moved around a lot over here... In total 42 times in my lifetime.  I have always wanted to go home.  I have gone through the process of having my Aussie teenage children's British citizenship acknowledged and they have UK passports now.  We are seriously considering moving.  The only cons are.... work when we get there.  I am studying to be a solicitor atm.  NHS - how long that would take to sort as Daughter 1 is type 1 diabetic and will need supplies when we land almost.  Children's education... Daughter 1 will be ready for University at the end of next year.  Its been so long since I have been there.  We are going over Easter next year to see how we feel about it all.  I love the cooler climate.  Give me a snowy day over a typical brisbane summer day!

42 moves!  No wonder you don't feel settled.

Lots of people feel the same way you do.  Many have moved back to the UK successfully.  :)  One of the members here 'bristolman' came over her as a child and moved back a few years ago and is loving life.  There are others too.  I'm sure they will be along soon to reassure you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My family all but disowned me for applying for the children's UK passports.  They all love it here and hate the thought of moving back.  I like my late father have never felt settled.  The Scot is strong in us haha  

36 minutes ago, TazG said:

My family all but disowned me for applying for the children's UK passports.  They all love it here and hate the thought of moving back.  I like my late father have never felt settled.  The Scot is strong in us haha  

I'm from Scotland.  Came here nearly 37 years ago (married an Aussie) but have always felt settled.  It did help that I was lucky enough to get back to see Mum every 2 years when she was alive and she came to stay here with us for months at a time.  I was last back 3 years ago and had a lovely time meeting up with my old pals and my sister and husband's sister.

What a pity you didn't move back before you met someone and had kids, but I assume you felt you had to stay for your parents' sake?  

My only concern is that, having been away so long, you've developed an unrealistic idea of what living in the UK is really like.   Especially considering you moved here when you were 14, you're far more of an Aussie than a Scot in all kinds of subtle ways, whether you like it or not. You may not realise it until you get there though!  

Having said that, many others like you have moved back and settled very happily.  

Re the NHS - you shouldn't have any trouble registering with a GP straight away, provided you have an address (a holiday apartment will do, just don't tell them it's temporary...).   However, can you get extra supplies to take with you?  How would you handle it if you were going away for a six week holiday?   

The other thing to look into is education.  You can't wait till your daughter has finished her HSC and then move to the UK for her university - she'll be regarded as an international student and charged full fees.  So you either need to move early enough to meet the residential requirement, or you're going to be stuck until she finishes university (and then there's always the risk she'll meet a boy and won't want to come with you...!).

1 hour ago, Toots said:

I'm from Scotland.  Came here nearly 37 years ago (married an Aussie) but have always felt settled.  It did help that I was lucky enough to get back to see Mum every 2 years when she was alive and she came to stay here with us for months at a time.  I was last back 3 years ago and had a lovely time meeting up with my old pals and my sister and husband's sister.

just as an aside toots ...i saw the very first advert promoting Tasmania on u.k national t.v last night ?......not an Aussie one , purely tassie

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bunbury61 said:

just as an aside toots ...i saw the very first advert promoting Tasmania on u.k national t.v last night ?......not an Aussie one , purely tassie

Yes, I saw that too! Wondered if they were aiming for independence! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TazG said:

I grew up in Australia and in my early years I felt totally Australia but after a stint in the UK I realised that in fact I realised it was only because that's where I was living and in fact I was much more English.

NHS and education haven't been a problem at all, they were very easy to sort out. Our 2 were almost 11 when we moved to England and took to it like ducks to water. Even though they are Brisbane born they much prefer the climate here.

Both places are great countries to live but our feeling is this one is greater lol.

Good luck. 

The other thing to look into is education.  You can't wait till your daughter has finished her HSC and then move to the UK for her university - she'll be regarded as an international student and charged full fees.  So you either need to move early enough to meet the residential requirement, or you're going to be stuck until she finishes university (and then there's always the risk she'll meet a boy and won't want to come with you...!). 

... just wondering what age is the cut off point for being considered international student...? Thanks

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TazG said:

Contact the Law Society about requirements for registration. You will probably need to undertake some additional study.

With NHS, that shouldn't be an issue. If you know where you are moving to, you can contact the local surgery before you arrive. I had a prescription done within a couple of days of arriving back.

University could be trickier. She needs to have been resident for 3 years prior to starting in order to not be classed as an international student. However, some universities have in the past been willing to waive that

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Maybe said:

... just wondering what age is the cut off point for being considered international student...? Thanks

You need to be resident in the UK for 3 years. However, for fees, some universities have waived it for people in the past, so it would be worth speaking to the admissions department of the university they want to attend

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

You need to be resident in the UK for 3 years. However, for fees, some universities have waived it for people in the past, so it would be worth speaking to the admissions department of the university they want to attend

This was my job, and from the information given there'd be pretty much no chance of being assessed as a home student; we waive the international fee if the student had been temporarily away due to a parent's overseas employment - particularly relevant for the armed forces, but also things like long-term overseas secondments.  Just moving back with a British passport is not grounds for home student status.

However, it's not as bad as all that; the three year residency basis (or as it was officially put at the time was that you had to be ordinarily resident for reasons other than higher education) can only be two years if you become resident before the 1st September, as that's the date taken as being the cut off point, so if you become ordinarily resident on the 30th august, as far as fees are concerned you've been resident for one year the following day.  How this works with the Student Loan Company I don't know, they are independent of the university.  Bear in mind too that your fee status is set at the start of the course and does not change, so you wouldn't be able to pay international fees for a year then drop it to home fees once you've been there three years.

Things have changed in the last couple of years, and Scotland may have a slightly different system, so it is worthwhile checking with universities as VS suggests, however, I would not be assuming there's much of a chance of it happening.

• Like 1