Getting a Job Before you Land

ceaustin1989

I wonder if anyone can help?!

I am looking at applying for a Visa as a Early Childhood Teacher but am a bit concerned about getting a job before I land in Oz.

Has anyone had experience of gaining a job before they arrived in oz? if so how did you go about it? where there any extra checks you needed? do you apply for a recruitment agency? Any help at all would be great.

I am open to do teaching in general when I am in Oz but know its not easy to get into over there.

I wonder if anyone can help?!
I am looking at applying for a Visa as a Early Childhood Teacher but am a bit concerned about getting a job before I land in Oz.
Has anyone had experience of gaining a job before they arrived in oz? if so how did you go about it? where there any extra checks you needed? do you apply for a recruitment agency? Any help at all would be great.
I am open to do teaching in general when I am in Oz but know its not easy to get into over there.

Do you have a 4 year degree? That’s necessary to teach in Australia. You’d probably pick up childcare which isn’t too well paid and has quite a high turnover. But it’s the degree that stymies many.

2 minutes ago, ceaustin1989 said:

Yes Ive got a 4 year degree - got all the necessary qualifications just concerned about actually getting a job before I emigrate. 

Have you tried to look at jobs and possibly making a courtesy call or two to introduce yourself and your situation? It paid dividends for me, however I'm not a teacher.

10 minutes ago, DukeNinja said:

Have you tried to look at jobs and possibly making a courtesy call or two to introduce yourself and your situation? It paid dividends for me, however I'm not a teacher.

Just curious, what line of work do you do and did it pay off making the courtesy calls?  I'm also looking to try and source a job interview or two before I land. I work in the law/justice world.

I'm a radiographer, and I was originally going to source employment through an agency, but I decided to browse the government websites and look for jobs myself. The first employer I called was prepared to offer me a teleconference interview. Of course, by that time, I had already secured my 189, and also my professional registration, which must've made me an appealing prospect as I got the job!

From experience, courtesy calls are more likely to bag you an interview than just applying straightaway.

• Like 1

You can try applying for jobs, but even with a visa in hand many employers wont be interested until you are actually in the country. Hence why most people have to make the move then find work. There is no harm in trying once you have your visa and are ready to make the move. But don't be disappointed if you cant find one.

Do though budget for it taking time to find work on arrival if you don't arrange a job before you leave the UK. I advise people to have enough funds to live on (rent, bills, food, transport and day to day stuff) for 6 months after arriving.