Drivers licence

smudgetracey

Hello everyone, 

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this, im moving over to SA next year and have a few questions..

I have a car licence and bus lic plus c+e (hgv) when surrendering my Brit lic for an australian lic which categories are recognised?

im hoping to driving trucks whilst there

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi. I'm in Qld, and over here they would only accept my car/light vehicle/car with trailer/people carrier/motorcycle. Apparently I would have had to do some testing if I wanted to transfer more categories. It may be different in SA.

On another note, their "DVLA" was very accessible: I just walked in and got it changed over the same day, as well as being issued a paper licence note to cover me until my photocard came through the post.

1 hour ago, smudgetracey said:

Hello everyone, 

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this, im moving over to SA next year and have a few questions..

I have a car licence and bus lic plus c+e (hgv) when surrendering my Brit lic for an australian lic which categories are recognised?

im hoping to driving trucks whilst there

Thanks in advance for any help

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/driving-and-transport/drivers-and-licences/drivers-licence/drivers-licence-transfer

"If you have a licence to drive a vehicle other than a car or motorcycle, you must take a practical driving test in a vehicle of that class (this does not include road trains and B-doubles)."

So I would be able so drive in Oz with my British sir ere license without having to resit the test & theory? I' hoping yo move to Melbourne by the end if August but have soo much to do before then and now I can't find replies to my other questions on here! 

6 hours ago, Melshel said:

So I would be able so drive in Oz with my British sir ere license without having to resit the test & theory? I' hoping yo move to Melbourne

All things to do with vehicles are administered by the various states, so licence requirements may vary from one state to another.  Here is the information you need for Victoria:

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/renew-replace-or-update/new-to-victoria/overseas-drivers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Melshel said:

So I would be able so drive in Oz with my British sir ere license without having to resit the test & theory? I' hoping yo move to Melbourne by the end if August but have soo much to do before then and now I can't find replies to my other questions on here! 

Yes you can drive straight away and have around 3 months to change the licence for an Aus one. Only car and motor bike are transferrable without doing a test, everything else requires you sit a test.

Cal x

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

Unless you have had your license for 3yrs or less (Qld), then you'd need to do the test.

And it depends on the country of issue.

ive had my car and hgv3 license since 86 and my full hgv and bus since98.. been driving trucks throughout europe also since 98

2 hours ago, smudgetracey said:

ive had my car and hgv3 license since 86 and my full hgv and bus since98.. been driving trucks throughout europe also since 98

Note that info was fro Queensland. Each state is different so make sure you follow the link above that is SA specific if thats where you are headed. 

Like others have said it varies from State to state.

I know for sure In Queensland you can drive on your UK license until you become a permanent resident or submit an application for PR or apply for a Queensland license. This includes your HGV. After that a HGV test needs to be taken.

SA - As far as I’m aware Is the same.  

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/driving-and-transport/drivers-and-licences

Edited by samlab
Edit

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2018 at 02:34, Melshel said:

There are a number of ways to see replies to your posts. 

One way you can do so is via your profile page and checking what you have posted.

https://www.pomsinoz.com/profile/267892-melshel/content/

All licencing categories are now the same across all States in Australia and most also apply very similar rules when transferring your UK Licence. Here in NSW you don't have to surrender your UK licence, you just present it to show what you are entitled drive in the UK. The RMS (Roads and Maritime Services) will give you a full car and bike licence if you hold them in the UK. As far as your truck licence is concerned, you can drive on your UK truck licence for 3 months when you'll then have to take a test which is much easier that in the UK. If you hold a UK CE (old class one) licence, you will be allowed to skip the usual process of passing a Rigid truck licence and holding it for a year and instead go direct to a HC (heavy combination) test which is the same as a UK CE licence. Basically, the driving school that teaches you are also authorised assessors and they will usually pass you on the same day particularly if you have already been driving trucks in the UK. Quite simply there are no scary examiners to have to contend with unlike the UK. The cost is around $1000 to $1500 depending where you go to. After holding your HC licence for a year you can then upgrade to the MC  (multi combination) licence which is B double trucks and road trains. Again, this is usually done all in one day at a similar cost to the HC test. At the moment there is a massive shortage of truck drivers over here particularly in Sydney and earnings are getting really good. Certainly over $100,000 a year is well within scope and if you work afternoons or night shifts you can easily pull in $150,000 a year.  The shortage means that even new drivers with no experience are being employed full time as the employers are desperate to get their hands on any driver who walk through the door including offering up to $2500 starter bonus just for accepting a job with the company. I transferred my UK licence back in 2008 and went direct to the HC licence and subsequently upgraded to the MC licence.

I had a QLD HVG drivers license  when I was living there , when moving to the UK I just transferred the normal car license part to a UK license.

i will be back later this year to live In Australia,  my Aussie license has expired since 2014,  does anybody know if they will transfer my current UK car license to a new Aussie licenses or will they reinstated my old Aussie one ? 

Thanks

As long as you renew you expired QLD licence within 5 years you generally keep all your entitlements. After 5 years you will have to get a learners licence again or present your UK licence for it to be transferred. However, you would certainly be better renewing your QLD licence as that also has your truck licence on it which are generally not transferable from any UK truck licence without sitting a test.

• Like 1