Returning to the UK, pensioner with a terminal illness.

olman

I am a ten pound pom and have been in Australia  since 1965. I am 78 years old .

I am on an Australian old age pension I also get a small amount each month from the uk

I have lung cancer which is terminal. I do have a bit of time left approx eighteen months.

I would like if possible to return to my home town { luton Town } and pass there.

Does anyone know 1 If I can get english pension?

2  the cost of palitive care.

3 low cost housing for the time I have left

4. Cost of going to a doctor and perscriptions.

Edited by snifter
Fixed title from username
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, olman said:

I am a ten pound pom and have been in Australia  since 1965. I am 78 years old .

I am on an Australian old age pension I also get a small amount each month from the uk

I have lung cancer which is terminal. I do have a bit of time left approx eighteen months.

I would like if possible to return to my home town { luton Town } and pass there.

Very sorry to hear of your predicament. Have you tried contacting macmillan? They may be able to help with your queries.

I'm also wondering is you have been back to Luton in recent years, if you haven't it may feel very alien and not the experience you are hoping for.

Best of luck in whatever you do.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/

• Like 9

You will continue to receive your Australian pension.   I'm not sure whether they will pay it into a British bank account, you should ask Centrelink.   No matter what they say, keep your Australian bank account open, because it's a pain in the neck getting a British bank account and may well take you several weeks.  

When you arrive in the UK,  let the UK authorities know you're in the UK, and your "little bit" of UK pension should increase to the current rate.  

See if you can find your NI number (National Insurance) as you'll need it.   You shouldn't have any trouble registering with a GP and you will be covered under the National Health System.   However you're not going to qualify for any benefits or council housing. 

As you're not working, landlords may demand 6 months' rent upfront so make sure you've got some money saved.  

• Like 2

Hi, my dad was a ten pound Pom and came over to Australia in 1951 aged five. 

He never returned back to the UK until I moved here, over five years ago.

My father was living on his Australian pension. However, he didn’t recieve anything from the UK gov whilst in Australia. 

I’d imagine Luton would have changed a lot since you were last living there. Have you tried google images to see what Luton Town Center looks like now? 

My Grandfather went back to the UK to vist his hometown in the 80s and it changed so much, he didn’t like it, and never went back.

I agree with contacting Macmillian. All the best to you.

• Like 1

the Op's small UK state pension might increase to the current rate, when resident back in the UK, but this depends on how much the Op is entitled to, so this needs to be confirmed from the pensions dept.

I paid in extra to my UK state pension to top it up but still wasn't entitled to the full pension,  so when I go back every year, yes it is increased but only in proportion to the years I could claim for, while I am there,  I   will never get a full pension.

I wish you all the best.

Sorry I assumed you already received the state pension when you mentioned you received a small monthly amount?

Edited by ramot

Thank you all for your advice , 

I have never been back to Luton town since I came here in 1965. I know things have changed there I have kept up with all the news from there. I understand it has changed so much and it would seem so have the people. I do not know why after all these years i want to go home. It is some thing I just cannot explain. Thank you all once again you have all been great the way you have answered my questions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

You will continue to receive your Australian pension.   I'm not sure whether they will pay it into a British bank account, you should ask Centrelink.   No matter what they say, keep your Australian bank account open, because it's a pain in the neck getting a British bank account and may well take you several weeks.  

When you arrive in the UK,  let the UK authorities know you're in the UK, and your "little bit" of UK pension should increase to the current rate.  

See if you can find your NI number (National Insurance) as you'll need it.   You shouldn't have any trouble registering with a GP and you will be covered under the National Health System.   However you're not going to qualify for any benefits or council housing. 

As you're not working, landlords may demand 6 months' rent upfront so make sure you've got some money saved.  

Thank you for your advice , yes I still have my NI card and number so that should save a bit of heart ache.

Are you in a position to return for a holiday? This may confirm your want to move back or you may hate it.  It would be horrible making the final move back only to regret doing so. A trip back would confirm for you one way or another.  You can look on rightmove at approximate rental costs. I am sure you wouldn't be entitled to any council housing or benefits. The worry is there is likely to come a time that you cannot manage alone, you need to look at where you live then. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, olman said:

Thank you all for your advice , 

I have never been back to Luton town since I came here in 1965. I know things have changed there I have kept up with all the news from there. I understand it has changed so much and it would seem so have the people. I do not know why after all these years i want to go home. It is some thing I just cannot explain. Thank you all once again you have all been great the way you have answered my questions.

This site might be helpful -  www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/care/housing-options/returning-to-the-uk-after-living-abroad-heading/

I do understand why you may want to return home, but you are dealing with an awful lot just now and like @Tulip1 I wonder whether a trip back to the UK to touch base with old memories and remaining family / friends might be be what you need, rather than all the anxiety and stress associated with  moving half way round the world? Whatever you decide I wish you well. Take care. T x  

• Like 1

I have had some wonderful advice from you all. Now there are lots of sites I need to go to before I decide whether it is possible for me to move back home.

Another thing that is against me is I am on Oxygen most of the time. I do have a potable oxygen machine and it is airline approved. It just makes thing a bit more difficult

reading alot of you comments has made me realize that once I move that will be my final call there would be no going back I will be too sick for that.

I may just spend the money and like it was suggested come over for a visit .

Until I got on this site I was as sure s hell coming home. Now with all your help I have seen the pitfalls.

Thank you all so very much for your help what ever I decide now at least I am not going into it blind god bless you all for your help.

• Like 8

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 04:01, olman said:

so sorry to hear your news olman ...dont go back to Luton ,at any cost ....real problems there ,it will break your heart