Move to london or stay in Melbourne (oz)

danikap

1 hour ago, Flynster said:

Luckily my husbands family are really supportive almost too much emoji23.png so we’ll be fine I’ll just miss my family popping in for a cuppa etc.. but I might annoy them all with a bombardment of Skype calls emoji4.png

That actually can get to be a problem, especially if you're feeling hormonal.  There will probably be days when you are ticked off that his family gets everything and yours gets bugger all, especially if you find that he is out with mates and you dont have any of your own.  Christmases with kids are the worst year after year.  I reckon mixed marriages are probably better when you are at least 10 hours away from either family.  My MiL wanted us to move into the house next door to them one time when it was for sale - uh no thanks!  DH had left home at 16 and we were (given the state of the roads back then) 12 hours drive away and that was about right for both of us!  Mine were 24 hours by plane.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I moved to London when I was 29. Yes, it's incredibly expensive (and getting worse), it's not as safe, clean or friendly as Melbourne, the quality of life is not the best (check the huge aisle dedicated to ready meals in supermarkets - food is not as important there as it is in other parts of the world).

But there is no city like London. It's the most open-minded place I know, no one will judge you for the way you dress, your accent, your haircut, your sexual orientation or whatever. The cultural life is vibrant, you'll meet people from all over the world and will learn so much from it. And the riches and marvels of the rest of Europe are only a one-hour, low-cost plane ticket away :)  

Personally,  I don't miss it much (too expensive, unsustainable in the long term), but it really is an experience I recommend. It's worth it. And you might find this is the life for you! Many of my friends have! But that is a question only you can answer.

As suggested above I'd definitely advise you to find a good house share as (1)  it will bring down the cost of living (I know very, very few single people under 40 there who can afford a studio) and (2) they will be your family away from home. It's essential as London is a huge city of over 8 million souls and it can feel very lonely - I know I was homesick for a good while!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi all thankyou so much for all your replies. 

Unfortunately my job fell through which has been awful :( 

as I was pretty much ready to go. It's made me question it all again. My question is how realistic is it to move to London one of the most expensive cities in the world with no job set up and find something? I'm really in two minds I know people do it but I'm conernced, for the most part I'm worried about how difficult it will be and scared I'll come running back home with my tail between my legs 

Edited by danikap

On 10/01/2018 at 14:28, TheWayOfThePony said:

I moved to London when I was 29. Yes, it's incredibly expensive (and getting worse), it's not as safe, clean or friendly as Melbourne, the quality of life is not the best (check the huge aisle dedicated to ready meals in supermarkets - food is not as important there as it is in other parts of the world).

But there is no city like London. It's the most open-minded place I know, no one will judge you for the way you dress, your accent, your haircut, your sexual orientation or whatever. The cultural life is vibrant, you'll meet people from all over the world and will learn so much from it. And the riches and marvels of the rest of Europe are only a one-hour, low-cost plane ticket away :)  

Personally,  I don't miss it much (too expensive, unsustainable in the long term), but it really is an experience I recommend. It's worth it. And you might find this is the life for you! Many of my friends have! But that is a question only you can answer.

As suggested above I'd definitely advise you to find a good house share as (1)  it will bring down the cost of living (I know very, very few single people under 40 there who can afford a studio) and (2) they will be your family away from home. It's essential as London is a huge city of over 8 million souls and it can feel very lonely - I know I was homesick for a good while!

Thankyou for your advice, may I ask did you end up coming back to Australia or stay in the U.K.? What were the motivating factors for moving ( if you came back) I love what you said about how open minded London is and interesting about the quality of life point 

On 03/01/2018 at 05:12, Newstart said:

I’m an Aussie returning to OZ due to extreme homesickness. 

I was the same as you. I thought Sydney was boring and I wanted something new and exciting. And on a hoilday, the UK just wowed me, the family friendly pubs, the countryside etc. I moved back a few months later to live with my bf ( now husband) and I didn’t care about the bad weather. For a few years, I was living in a happy bubble. 

London, here is the thing. I love walking through Soho onto Oxford St ( main shopping area) but there is only so many times you can do that before it becomes boring. It is soooooo crowded. Think of the entire population of OZ, just in London. Trains are very expensive, not anywhere as cheap in Australia and you are very lucky if you can catch one getting a seat. Anywhere nice to live in London, you are going to have to be rich. Quite frankly, the affordable areas of London are ugly imho.

I know you say you are only going for two years but English guys can be very cute and charming which means no easy escape back to OZ for you lol. So let’s be realistic and look at a future where you do end up settling in the UK.

You say you want to settle down and have kids in a few years. Well, if you end up doing that in the UK, you most likely will have to live a bit further out of London when you have kids. Houses are very pricey, and you know how houses in OZ, are detached, big yards and they all look different from one another? Well, you will be looking for housing with kids, outside of London which is South and that is mainly semi-detached and houses the size of a dog box on a housing estate. A lot of houses on the same street look the same. For something detacged, you are looking at older houses with a yard and they cost a bomb. You could move far far away from London, up North. People are friendlier, houses are cheaper and nice but there are no jobs and it’s even more boring.

Christmas just gone was raining and so was NYE. Imagine your future kids spending most of the time playing indoors because it’s always cold and wet. And at Christmas time, it’s winter, so rain, cold and it gets dark by 4pm.

Living outside London, is just like living in the suburbs, very boring. You might be living closer to Europe but how often will you afford to be able to go there once you have a mortgage and kids. 

And if you do end up with someone in the UK and they are close to their family, they might not want to leave the UK to go to OZ just because you are homesick. They could end up homesick as well.

I think you should go for a shorter hoilday to see if you like it first.  Not all that glitters is gold ;) 

I took living in Australia for granted but I tell you what, I’d happily kiss the ground when I get back! 

Thankyou for your advice, when do you move back?  

Edited by danikap

21 minutes ago, danikap said:

as I was pretty much ready to go. It's made me question it all again. My question is how realistic is it to move to London one of the most expensive cities in the world with no job set up and find something? I'm really in two minds I know people do it but I'm conernced, for the most part I'm worried about how difficult it will be and scared I'll come running back home with my tail between my legs 

Sorry about the job that fell through.  :S  Don't give up though.  Many Australians get casual work in London and don't forget, there is more to the UK than London.

6 minutes ago, Toots said:

Sorry about the job that fell through.  :S  Don't give up though.  Many Australians get casual work in London and don't forget, there is more to the UK than London.

Thabkyou, yeah I know there is more outside London I guess I just had my heart set on it but your right 

24 minutes ago, danikap said:

Thankyou for your advice, may I ask did you end up coming back to Australia or stay in the U.K.? What were the motivating factors for moving ( if you came back) I love what you said about how open minded London is and interesting about the quality of life point 

I'm a European citizen, not an Aussie :) I moved to Aus because my partner is Australian, otherwise I would probably have stayed in London for a few more years (though most likely not forever!).

Sorry the job offer fell through, but depending on the sector the job market is pretty active there... keep your eyes peeled! Is going on a working holiday visa an option for you? You could stay in Aus for a few more months and save like crazy so you can give London a go. It is a very expensive city (though admittedly Melbourne is not on the cheap side either) and maybe I'm not very adventurous, but I wouldn't go there without knowing I'd have a source of income once there. Mind you there are a lot of short term jobs in the hospitality sector, but maybe it's not your thing.

21 minutes ago, TheWayOfThePony said:

I'm a European citizen, not an Aussie :) I moved to Aus because my partner is Australian, otherwise I would probably have stayed in London for a few more years (though most likely not forever!).

Sorry the job offer fell through, but depending on the sector the job market is pretty active there... keep your eyes peeled! Is going on a working holiday visa an option for you? You could stay in Aus for a few more months and save like crazy so you can give London a go. It is a very expensive city (though admittedly Melbourne is not on the cheap side either) and maybe I'm not very adventurous, but I wouldn't go there without knowing I'd have a source of income once there. Mind you there are a lot of short term jobs in the hospitality sector, but maybe it's not your thing.

Ohhh ok sorry, I'm like you I think it's terrifying to go without a job and try and land something ? Just such a risk but so many people do it apparently. 

It’s a bummer the job fell through for sure. As others have said save hard now so you have some contingency money. London isn’t cheap but if you don’t mind “slumming “ it a bit then it can affordable, lots do it. I can understand wanting the security of a job offer though.

I love London with a passion. I see pictures and I get butterflies and my heart swells. It is dirty, smelly, crowded and polluted but is also vibrant, alive, the city has a pulse of it’s own and just about anything goes, all human life walks it’s streets. Good, bad, ugly and just plain whacko.

For the young I think everyone should try it, if only to find you don’t like it. 

I’m too old for the city now, crave some peace but if you are tempted, why not?

Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2017 at 21:33, danikap said:

:) Thankyou, yes I am single, have just come out of a relationship this year, but always had it in mind to go. I always thought in the next few years I would have a baby and settle down here in OZ, i still very much want those things but it was now or never I guess for the UK 

I guess my worry is about homesickness, I have never lived abroad but travelled. When it gets down to it im just really anxious and scared about going 

30yo? kinell mate had it well out of my system by then. Grow up.

• Like 1

On 28/12/2017 at 10:27, danikap said:

Hi guys, 

I have just been offered a job in London ( yay) I turn 30 next year and have just gotten my uk visa for two years. All year i have had it in mind to make the move but now that its happening I am panicking, im unsure wether ill be happy there am i crazy for doing this?. I am mindful that alot of of Australians make the move, however Im feeling as though I may regret it and maybe I have taken all I have here for granted. I always lament that Melbourne is so "boring" ultimatley i know this to be unfair, the boredom probably stems from having lived here my whole life, anyway I just feel sick over my decision. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it just a natural response, am i doing the wrong thing, haha. I just been warmed so many times about how expensive it is there, how tough it is etc. 

Hi, I'd just do it, it might be a disaster, can't be that much of a disaster can it, it might be great, or it might be, most probably, somewhere in between, but you have got a job with an income and it will give you an insight into another country and culture and it will  give you a basis from which to judge what you want out of the next 20 years, the burbs in Australia or the burbs in the Uk.

Only you will be able to judge whether you're up for the London  Underground and  the weather and the cosmopolitan buzz of it all but you will see a different life with lots of different challenges to Melbourne.

18 hours ago, danikap said:

What industry are you in? 

The good thing about London, is that for the corporate world, it is all recruiter based and so if you're in a designated field, you shouldn't actually struggle too much. It took me 4 months to find a full time job, but I was just starting my career in the TV industry, so with no experience and just a degree, it was always expected that I struggle. But the job i did get, set me up pretty damn well! My advise is, just make sure you have some money behind you before you go. I think I saved about $15,000 before going and that lasted me a long time over there, took the pressure off a bit. 

I guess the truth of it is, if you don't go, you'll always wonder. The fear of failing is all just apart of it, but nothing will change if you don't make changes and it sounds like even though you're life in Melbs is great, you're searching for something more/ different. 

Also, do you have any friends or connections over there? You don't need many, but one or two helps.

• Like 2

On 16/01/2018 at 04:54, danikap said:

Thankyou for your advice, when do you move back?  

Our our target is August 2018, I want to be back ready for Christmas. :) 

I’m so sorry your job fell through. I definitely think you should save up first - work out the average weekly rent and what you are hoping to have in wages and get a three or four months money behind you. There is no guarantee when you arrive, you will get a job through an agency straight away. My husband is an IT contractor at senior level and it can be months before the next contract and that’s applying for dozens a jobs every day. If it’s hospitality/ retail work or directly through the employer it might be a lot easier. 

It can take a very long time to make friends, though if you are flat sharing, that might make it easier. So unless you know people in London already or have a friend who wants to go to London with you, without savings, you aren’t going to have the support network behind you when you first come over. And that is scary.

The best way would be to go over there on a hoilday with a view to stay. Come over , have a look at London, go to the areas where you are looking to live, imagine your daily life shopping and living there and get a real feel for the place. Apply for some jobs while there , if you like it and look at what kind of rentals you would be able to get. See if you can get an open ended return ticket. That way, the pressure is off and if it’s not your cup of tea, you at least got to see London and got it out of your system.

Have you considered moving to say the Gold Coast or Sydney for a bit of a change ? If you decide not to move to London.

10 minutes ago, Newstart said:

Our our target is August 2018, I want to be back ready for Christmas. :) 

I’m so sorry your job fell through. I definitely think you should save up first - work out the average weekly rent and what you are hoping to have in wages and get a three or four months money behind you. There is no guarantee when you arrive, you will get a job through an agency straight away. My husband is an IT contractor at senior level and it can be months before the next contract and that’s applying for dozens a jobs every day. If it’s hospitality/ retail work or directly through the employer it might be a lot easier. 

It can take a very long time to make friends, though if you are flat sharing, that might make it easier. So unless you know people in London already or have a friend who wants to go to London with you, without savings, you aren’t going to have the support network behind you when you first come over. And that is scary.

The best way would be to go over there on a hoilday with a view to stay. Come over , have a look at London, go to the areas where you are looking to live, imagine your daily life shopping and living there and get a real feel for the place. Apply for some jobs while there , if you like it and look at what kind of rentals you would be able to get. See if you can get an open ended return ticket. That way, the pressure is off and if it’s not your cup of tea, you at least got to see London and got it out of your system.

Have you considered moving to say the Gold Coast or Sydney for a bit of a change ? If you decide not to move to London.

That's so exciting for you! Wish you all the best with the move. I think that sounds like a great plan I might work a bit more maybe get the visa extended if possible and go for a holiday and see if I can get a job. 

Funny enough ugh I have lived in GC, Burleigh to be specific, I loved it. I o my came back because missed family really in Melb. Sydney I have considered, imnot sure how different the lifestyle is to Melbourne and if I would like it, it is beautiful there though you just feel amazing at the beaches and even visiting the Harbour I know it's touristy but it is breathtaking 

• Like 1

On 17/01/2018 at 10:05, caspergen said:

What industry are you in? 

The good thing about London, is that for the corporate world, it is all recruiter based and so if you're in a designated field, you shouldn't actually struggle too much. It took me 4 months to find a full time job, but I was just starting my career in the TV industry, so with no experience and just a degree, it was always expected that I struggle. But the job i did get, set me up pretty damn well! My advise is, just make sure you have some money behind you before you go. I think I saved about $15,000 before going and that lasted me a long time over there, took the pressure off a bit. 

I guess the truth of it is, if you don't go, you'll always wonder. The fear of failing is all just apart of it, but nothing will change if you don't make changes and it sounds like even though you're life in Melbs is great, you're searching for something more/ different. 

Also, do you have any friends or connections over there? You don't need many, but one or two helps.

Thankyou for your advice, I loved the bit about failing I think that's defintley in my mind but that fear is part of it your right 

15 hours ago, danikap said:

That's so exciting for you! Wish you all the best with the move. I think that sounds like a great plan I might work a bit more maybe get the visa extended if possible and go for a holiday and see if I can get a job. 

Funny enough ugh I have lived in GC, Burleigh to be specific, I loved it. I o my came back because missed family really in Melb. Sydney I have considered, imnot sure how different the lifestyle is to Melbourne and if I would like it, it is beautiful there though you just feel amazing at the beaches and even visiting the Harbour I know it's touristy but it is breathtaking 

I've lived in Sydney for most of my life, and I think if you came from melb, you might find it boring. It's pretty but its a bit meh, compared to melbs and London. Just my opinion! We are looking at moving back to the UK possibly next year. 

I guess the issue here is that you're also 30- the youth visa is only available to you now so it's kind of now or never. I vote now! :)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, danikap said:

Thankyou for your advice, I loved the bit about failing I think that's defintley in my mind but that fear is part of it your right 

You got the UK work/holiday visa? Not sure what they call it these days. If you can pack up things here pretty easily and without much fuss go give the UK a go for a bit of an adventure. Be it 6 months, a year or two years, go while you can. Plenty of people go to the UK on this visa. It’s not permanent and tbh it usually passes so quickly you don’t really have time to be homesick, plus you have the added security of knowing you are returning to Melbourne and family at the end of it. 

Honestly, the job aspect on a work/holiday visa isn’t rocket science. Look for casual work, be prepared to try something different and don’t hang out only for a job in your actual chosen field. Look outside London too. Bristol, Edinburgh and plenty of places inbetween. You can move around, see a bit of the world and chances are meet other Aussie travellers. 

You can sit and dither from the sidelines and watch the moment pass or jump in with both feet and go embrace the experience.

Eta - not sure why last para above has larger font size. Shows as normal when typing ?