Better option in transferring money to Australia

sc333

Check their rates and if they have any fees is how I'd compare. See what you'd come out with at the end and keep in mind rates can and do change so what you may get today, you may not tomorrow. 

I've not used either of those but plenty on here use Moneycorp. We use HiFX. 

11 minutes ago, PW1 said:

Thank you, I'll check them both out. Presumably you've no reason not to recommend HIFX?

We've been using them for over 4 years now. No plans to change :) 

I use Transferwise - don't know about other providers, but Transferwise charged about 5 or 6 quid instead of the 25 I paid using my UK bank.  I''ve never had any problems - not used it for a while come to think of it. Once I started working again I did not need regular transfers from the UK. I'm going to use it soon though.

I've got card readers for both my UK bank accounts.

• 1 month later...

I used to use CurrencyFair, which worked out to 0.7% on the rate shown on Google (Interbank rate?). However, a friend recently put me on to Revolut, which charge 0%.

They're primarily an FX debit card that probably makes their revenue on investing your balance (which pays 0% interest), but they permit commission-free FX transactions of your funds within their platform, and then you can transfer out in that currency to a local bank account in the country.

I had to move around £5000 to AU recently to cover some bills, and I used Currencyfair since I already had the funds in there. But I gave Revolut a quick go with a test balance - paid £10 from my card on the app, then converted to AUD, and then set up a bank transfer to my AU bank account for $10. It all worked fine and the funds arrived. They take 5 days for some reason, but there was no fee at all, no commission, and no FX spread. They only permit £5000 a month to prevent large fees to themselves, but that should suit you nicely.

D

• 2 weeks later...

I use TorFX for sending relatively small amounts monthly from my UK salary. Typically GBP250. No fees and a fairly competetive rate as far as I know (certainlly compared to what high street banks offer). Trasnfers are quite slow though - typically 4-5 days to our Bendigo savings account from Lloyds in the UK, but I think that's more to do with Bendigo than TorFX - they're a bit behind the big banks in terms of real time processing it seems, but I'll take the hit in return for the easy to reach call centre and pretty good cust service.

• 6 months later...