Have we made a mistake of returning to the uk?!

Anna833

9 hours ago, bristolman said:

So much of what you say resonates with us, the constant never ending need to try and big note themselves and the Aussie Aussie Aussie thing. Its media driven but people just lap it up. Strayas the best place in the world mate, oh where have you been, I ain't been anywhere mate..best country in the world, Pauline said so. 

Years ago I would argue black and blue that Australia was indeed the best country in the world and I'm not entirely sure when it changed but I started seeing through all the bluster and self congratulation and came to the conclusion that it really wasn't the best country in the world, it was up there but no. 

I my humble opinion ,the best country in the world ,taking everything into account ,is somewhere in Europe ....take your pick

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

I my humble opinion ,the best country in the world ,taking everything into account ,is somewhere in Europe ....take your pick

Inclined to agree with you.  If I won millions in the lottery my feet wouldn't touch the ground.  I'd spend years travelling all over the world  ...........  in the lap of luxury of course.  :P  I'm happy enough with my lot in life but I'm perfectly aware things here aren't perfect but I doubt any place is.    

• Like 2

I've one has paid into the local pension fund then a pretty darn decent retirement, is more or less guaranteed anywhere in Northern Europe at least. One can have ones pension paid into a Spanish or Portuguese bank and live a interesting life.

There is more available for carers in respite. For aged in recuperation facilities, I'm in awe of what relatives are in recept of in one particular country.

The only negative can be the long, cold winters,   not good for ageing joints etc, but then again the houses are built to withstand the conditions they find themselves.

Not forgetting often far more diversity of things to partake in. No older folk that have visited us in Australia have ever expressed a desire to remain. Some have ben a few times but find costs high here and home naturally better. 

37 minutes ago, Parley said:

I would have thought Tassie was a wonderful spot to retire too.

Maybe a bit chilly at times though.

It wouldn't suit a lot of folk but I've wanted to live here for the last 20 or so years.  Chilly?  Well it's 13C at 2:30pm but I've been outdoors a lot. The sun is shining.  Did lots in the garden - seen to the animals and it's good to go for an energetic long walk without getting into a sweaty heap.  I enjoy going for long walks and not meeting another person - suits my hermit-ish way of life. :P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toots said:

Inclined to agree with you.  If I won millions in the lottery my feet wouldn't touch the ground.  I'd spend years travelling all over the world  ...........  in the lap of luxury of course.  :P  I'm happy enough with my lot in life but I'm perfectly aware things here aren't perfect but I doubt any place is.    

no place is .....but taking everything into account ....democracy ( to an extent ) , rule of law , very few extremes of weather ,art , history ,culture , mountains and snow if you want it ...beaches if you want those , and some of the worlds greatest cities....then its all in Europe .....you can take the u.k totally out of the debate if you wish ....

1 hour ago, Toots said:

It wouldn't suit a lot of folk but I've wanted to live here for the last 20 or so years.  Chilly?  Well it's 13C at 2:30pm but I've been outdoors a lot. The sun is shining.  Did lots in the garden - seen to the animals and it's good to go for an energetic long walk without getting into a sweaty heap.  I enjoy going for long walks and not meeting another person - suits my hermit-ish way of life. :P

where are you toots ?

2 hours ago, Pura Vida said:

I've one has paid into the local pension fund then a pretty darn decent retirement, is more or less guaranteed anywhere in Northern Europe at least. One can have ones pension paid into a Spanish or Portuguese bank and live a interesting life.

There is more available for carers in respite. For aged in recuperation facilities, I'm in awe of what relatives are in recept of in one particular country.

The only negative can be the long, cold winters,   not good for ageing joints etc, but then again the houses are built to withstand the conditions they find themselves.

Not forgetting often far more diversity of things to partake in. No older folk that have visited us in Australia have ever expressed a desire to remain. Some have ben a few times but find costs high here and home naturally better. 

I believe in some European countries ( Austria ?) ....they have te facility of 100 yr mortgages , meanng properties pass down down the family .????

did I hear something similar is to be rolled out in the u.k ?????

54 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

no place is .....but taking everything into account ....democracy ( to an extent ) , rule of law , very few extremes of weather ,art , history ,culture , mountains and snow if you want it ...beaches if you want those , and some of the worlds greatest cities....then its all in Europe .....you can take the u.k totally out of the debate if you wish ....

Oh I thought you were describing the UK actually ?

45 minutes ago, Toots said:

I'm in Devonport on the north west coast of Tasmania bunbury.

we have good Aussie friends there ,who love Europe ...but all the goings on ...terrorism etc ...prevent them returning more often
onin

40 minutes ago, bristolman said:

Oh I thought you were describing the UK actually ?

now now behave ?

4 hours ago, Pura Vida said:

its funny pv ...my mate lives 6months in Spain...6 months in the u.k ...he comes home to the u.k in hgh summer from Spain ...too hot .

he is also back from Spain for the winter , because he said where he lives in Spain , is dead ,during the winter .

so he can suffer with us now , from November to march ?

6 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

its funny pv ...my mate lives 6months in Spain...6 months in the u.k ...he comes home to the u.k in hgh summer from Spain ...too hot .

he is also back from Spain for the winter , because he said where he lives in Spain , is dead ,during the winter .

Not all of us suffer ?

12 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

we have good Aussie friends there ,who love Europe ...but all the goings on ...terrorism etc ...prevent them returning more often
onin

I was at a meeting today to find out all about a new food hall and bits and pieces that are being built here in Devonport.  There were about 50 people turned out - it was held in a smallish meeting room in the local library.  When it was time for us all to ask questions I'd say 50% of the accents were from different parts of the UK - Scottish, English, Irish and Welsh.

36 minutes ago, Toots said:

I was at a meeting today to find out all about a new food hall and bits and pieces that are being built here in Devonport.  There were about 50 people turned out - it was held in a smallish meeting room in the local library.  When it was time for us all to ask questions I'd say 50% of the accents were from different parts of the UK - Scottish, English, Irish and Welsh.

iam sure tassie is very attractive , and a great place to live .

our Aussie mates moved there from Queensland

3 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

I believe in some European countries ( Austria ?) ....they have te facility of 100 yr mortgages , meanng properties pass down down the family .????

did I hear something similar is to be rolled out in the u.k ?????

There was decades ago some lose discussion in the industry in UK with regards to generational debt. Talk about working for the man. No idea with regards Austria but not part of the landscape in the countries I'm familiar with through living and working.

Odd the Aussies haven't put something forward like that. Houses could go ever up to millions and future generations kick the can. No limit I suppose to where it could all end.

1 hour ago, bunbury61 said:

Well Spain seems to have agreed to allow UK residents already in Spain to continue residing there. Hence I don't see any need for your friends suffering.

4 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

I've been to Madrid a few times.  Stinking hot in summer and freezing in the winter.

Sorry if I'm repeating stuff,  as a fellow stay at home mum & a recent (just over 3months) returnee have you checked out hoop? Or Mush? You need to get out to regular meet ups-playgroups, fitness classes with crèche etc to feel you have a life outside of the house-friendships will come from this regular meet ups and that makes all the difference.   We've decided that this is it, we will not ping pong, but each to there own-remember the reasons you left, 1 hour to see family is nothing, try to make the trip regularly. Goodluck! 

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 09:02, Pura Vida said:

Well Spain seems to have agreed to allow UK residents already in Spain to continue residing there. Hence I don't see any need for your friends suffering.

I was referring to his choice of living in the u.k winter , rather than in the Spanish winter ,due to where he lives in Spain ,being boring during the winter .

not that he cannot gain access to Spain

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/10/2017 at 00:03, Anna833 said:

Hi All,

We returned to the uk in July this year after living in Melbourne for nearly 4 years. We returned due to a mixture of missing family, friends (although most have drifted and moved on now), the countryside and of little things but the main reason was that I felt like my 19 month was missing out on building a relationship with his grandparents and cousins. It was also the isolation and a little bit of homesickness which was a major player as well. See, we have been back over 3 months now but I'm wondering whether we have been too hasty and instead should of come for an extended holiday rather than shipping our belongings and 2 cats back to the uk to live in a completely new area (only place my husband could find a job with his skills). As we don't know anyone nearby at the moment and I'm a stay at home mum I feel a little isolated even though we are back in the uk with family/friends an hour or so away. It's horrible having the thoughts of did we actually do the right thing!! Luckily we waited until we got citizenship in June to make the move back so we can always go back but how long do you wait before thinking that life is actually better in Australia? I think my husband is missing it slightly more than me. I'm just thinking now we are back, maybe we are looking through rose-tinted glasses at oz again and forget all the bad experiences we had over there. (mostly good though apart from missing family)

We came to a decision that we will see how things go over the next 2 or so years and make a firm decision of what we want to do prior to my son beginning school in 2021.

Has anyone else who has returned had these regrets and do they pass and or is anyone planning over relocating back to oz in the near future?

Hi Anna,

I've been here 18+ years. 

For about 5 years I was quite happy, my daughter was doing well in a private school and we had a good social life with many of the other parents, incidentally mostly expats. Once she left school, as a matter of fact an amazing number of the couples we were friends with divorced, moved out of the area etc etc.

I then realised Australia was not for me. I just don't and never will feel I belong or can relate to the 'culture/mindset' of Australians. Anyway, most of my family and my wifes joined us here including Mums and Dads and to be honest I was stuck here. I feel that Australia and Australians are so intense about itself/themselves it seems sometimes almost that nowhere else in the world exists. Every time I talked about leaving I got 'What about your parents, what about your daughter etc' 

Last year I told my fantastic wife enough was enough. But the same ties came up 'What about your parents, what about your daughter etc'. I have to say were are nearer retired.

So we have decided to spend our years between UK/Europe and back here to see parents and my daughter. I would not come back other than for family ties. What I get from Australia, the climate, I can get most of the year in The Med. Greece Italy etc. What I get there is the history, cultures, food etc and variety I don't get here. Conversation that goes beyond the weather and 'we need rain'.

Not sure if you live out of Australia for a long time if you loose your citizenship? My sensible wife has said that one day we my reach the stage (or run out of money) where we don't want that long flight and we may wish to live here with our daughter. 

We are home from Jan-April, I was going to stay longer and do some travelling but feel a bit selfish so now back in April. We share caring for Mum-in-Law (94) with her other daughter. There are lots of positives here and anywhere. One of mine is having spent lots of time in Asia, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam and the lovely country, history and food there.

Hope it all works well for you. Life is so short do what makes you best happy.

Good Luck

17 hours ago, HarryofEngland said:

I feel that Australia and Australians are so intense about itself/themselves it seems sometimes almost that nowhere else in the world exists.

Not sure if you live out of Australia for a long time if you loose your citizenship? 

******************************************************

That first line just seems to sum up the way I feel about Australia, the country i grew up in and called home for years. One day I started noticing this incredibly annoying habit of endless self praise, best in the world, world leaders etc. They would grasp the most ridiculous tenuous links to Australia. My father in law who visited said 'does anywhere else in the world exist ?'

To answer your second question, no you never lose citizenship. 

Sorry that didn't quote properly. 

Edited by bristolman