9 years on - REAL life in Aussie.

Lanky Lad

On 9/22/2017 at 10:24, calNgary said:

Great little update that made me chuckle, but LankyLad ,honestly, MOVE ...lol

Cal x

BUGGER, this is the third attempt at a reply..is there a anti waffle mode trigger on postings!!   

The intent of my post is getting lost.. the message to those thinking of the move or STILL waiting visa's and  have maybe been here once.... vacations do not  tell you what  living here is like, anymore than visiting London  for a week would  do either. 

BUT the essence is  - yes its loud brash and to  some,  full of ignorant pigs who dont give a s**t if their BBQ / wannabe Disco session  keeps the heart attack victims awake.   The message is really back in the UK, immigrants are expected to engage with the British way of life... most  never will - and   the same applies in Aussie. IT IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT WAY OF LIFE. We have "engaged" with it and accept it..... but  the memories of wandering around Cornwall villages - does  creep in the mind at times when 5 dogs 200mters apart are having a chat. The guy behind us and  is girlfriend( both geriatrics) sit in their hot tub chatting... we are on the patio having a gin and are about 500 feet away... and hear every word!   Aussies are loud... and none  can  really drive a car!  Nobody ever teaches them road sense (LOL)  Road sign says 60 ( km per hour)  is this advisory or  compulsory???    UK  -its advisory...here -  go less than 65 on a 60 road and  you will get a ute 6 inches of your back bumper....fact!    Leave a safety zone from the car in front of you..... and you will never get home...because the car alongside you will dive in the  slow down to get your zone back... you pi** off the   guy  behind you and he speeds up pulls out and he dives in  your safety zone...so you  drop back.... ad infinitum!  But that's another topic.....

• Like 2

On 9/22/2017 at 08:45, Perthbum said:

Aussies are noisy people who shout a lot...you have to get used to it, you are an immigrant in their country as they will tell you time after time.

I have lived in a few places in Australia, I personally havent come across any noisier people than I have in Europe and yes I am an immigrant and have never been reminded of it.  My solitary piece of Shatford under the Avon here in Australia must be exceptionally unique!:/

In the three and a half years we have lived in this house there has only been one occasion where there has been noise going on late in to the night from neighbours.  In contrast our next door but one neighbours in the UK would regularly sit outside talking loudly till all hours of the night.  A lot really depends on the demographics of the neighbourhood you are living in.

• Like 2

Noisiest place I ever went to was a small town in Italy.

The population of the whole town promenading up and down the street every evening, night after night after night, chattering away ad infinitum made a phenomenal racket.

Nothing I've ever experienced in Australia has even come close to matching the Italians when they get started..

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NickyNook said:

Noisiest place I ever went to was a small town in Italy.

The population of the whole town promenading up and down the street every evening, night after night after night, chattering away ad infinitum made a phenomenal racket.

Nothing I've ever experienced in Australia has even come close to matching the Italians when they get started..

Italians are noisy!  :P  We knew many Italian families in Sydney - lovely folk but so exuberant.  My younger son's partner is from an Italian background and he's been absorbed into her large, loud, happy family in Sydney.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Evandale said:

I have lived in a few places in Australia, I personally havent come across any noisier people than I have in Europe and yes I am an immigrant and have never been reminded of it.  My solitary piece of Shatford under the Avon here in Australia must be exceptionally unique!:/

Remember I am NOT really saying where I am is the sole reason  for my post....  I intended a "reminder" for those thinking about emigration or in the latter stages of the visa application.  I will also add that those who have "family and friends" high in  the list of things "I  love and hate leaving behind" ...will need a serious mind shift about just that if they want to make a success of a move to Aus. 

Another misconception about Aussie is "Community Spirit"   - out on the verges of the bush and  small - and I mean small towns - may  be an exception but its even mentioned  on 7 news a while back...Aussies hardly get involved  with neighbors other than "over the garden fence" ! Our fence is 6 feet high and so are most on  anything built in the last 15 - 20 years from what I see.  Granted if your house is burning...  the street will come out to help or in any other "disaster" scenario.

I am currently thinking about another post - about the Aussie traders!!!     One man and his ute!   I will ponder it a while  and let  this  thread cool off!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

Remember I am NOT really saying where I am is the sole reason  for my post....  I intended a "reminder" for those thinking about emigration or in the latter stages of the visa application.  I will also add that those who have "family and friends" high in  the list of things "I  love and hate leaving behind" ...will need a serious mind shift about just that if they want to make a success of a move to Aus. 

Another misconception about Aussie is "Community Spirit"   - out on the verges of the bush and  small - and I mean small towns - may  be an exception but its even mentioned  on 7 news a while back...Aussies hardly get involved  with neighbors other than "over the garden fence" ! Our fence is 6 feet high and so are most on  anything built in the last 15 - 20 years from what I see.  Granted if your house is burning...  the street will come out to help or in any other "disaster" scenario.

I am currently thinking about another post - about the Aussie traders!!!     One man and his ute!   I will ponder it a while  and let  this  thread cool off!

Very true for would be migrants who have lived in the same neighbourhood in the UK for years close to family and long time friends.  Some of them will find it very hard here.

• Like 1