Does anybody ever....

aconcannon

It's rare that I get homesick, in fact I can count on one hand the number of times in a year I get homesick and even then the feelings only last for a day... I love my life here and yes I miss having my family around but not to the point that it bothers me too much. However, when I do get homesick I find I just wake up feeling that way - I'll spend time trying to work out what's triggered it and 9/10 there isn't a reason. Does anybody else ever get this? Maybe I'm just 'waking up on the wrong side of the bed'? Today is one of them days that I've woken up missing my family and wishing I could be closer...

I was in the UK for 3 weeks recently when my dear old Mum died and I was homesick for getting back here.

Nice to be with family and go out for a few beers but the weather was getting me down. Don't miss some of the family "issues" either. Got used to our own company and way of life.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

I was in the UK for 3 weeks recently when my dear old Mum died and I was homesick for getting back here.

Nice to be with family and go out for a few beers but the weather was getting me down. Don't miss some of the family "issues" either. Got used to our own company and way of life.

I completely agree - we went back for 3 weeks over xmas and had a great time but I massively missed the sunshine and my life in Australia and was more than happy to return. It's just really bizarre how I sometimes wake up feeling homesick with no good reason as to why?!

Little things trigger me off; watching River Cottage is one of them, and when Portillo was on a train through the area I grew up I burst into tears at the dinner table.  Not so much that I'd contemplate returning, more nostalgia for the areas where I lived when I had no worries in the world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eera said:

Little things trigger me off; watching River Cottage is one of them, and when Portillo was on a train through the area I grew up I burst into tears at the dinner table.  Not so much that I'd contemplate returning, more nostalgia for the areas where I lived when I had no worries in the world.

It's interesting as things don't tend to trigger me off - although prior to moving I assumed they would. I very much just wake up sometimes missing home, it's most peculiar.

• Like 2

I'm the other way around: totally unaffected apart from when one little thing reminds me of the South Downs.  I don't tend to miss friends - pragmatic enough to realise they've moved on just as I have - it's the actual area for some reason.

I do not suffer from home sickness but Linda does though, not as bad these days. On my side my mother has always told me and my siblings to go and do our own things, live our own life's however and wherever (subject to law and common sense)  and we will always have a loving home to come back to no conditions, no ill feelings and no remorse. All my brothers and sister have worked/lived oversea with only the youngest having struggled with home sickness thus only survived a couple of months in NZ. We have family and friends we catch up with all over the world now, but we still live our lives where we call home which is Australia for me and Linda.

• Like 1

Not for the first 15-20 years and, even then, there was no logic for it. I guess it's like living through a drought, you put up with it for so long but then it begins to bite. Same with "homesickness" I think - you yearn for the colours, the sense of belonging, the variety, the relevant history, the shared sense of being. It's very ephemeral. Mine definitely got worse when I felt trapped, exacerbated by the knowledge that my elderly parents were doing it tough and I'm an only child. They do say that as you get to the end of your life you yearn for your roots like old animals go home to die.

I have not one iota of homesickness for Australia but it's only been 6 years away and that's still "holiday" in my book. Maybe one day I might feel a pang.

I don't get homesick and barely give my parents a second thought most of the time but just occasionally I find myself really missing them for no particular reason.  I think often it's because there is something about my life here that I want to be able to share with them or show then but know that they will never visit so I can't.  But other times it is just random.  I put it down to hormones, or e change in weather or something.

I miss family and friends more than the place, especially my brother and at times i have down days thinking about it .Not sure if you would class it as homesickness, but if someone offered me a ticket back, id grab it and use it - for a week,,lol, then i would want to come back to my life and family here in the sun.

Cal x

• Like 1

I don't get homesick per se, but there are times if I am watching a movie or a programme on tv and it is set in the area I used to live, that I get a feeling of nostalgia.   I first came to Australia in 2004, and have been back to UK 5 times since then.   Each time I enjoyed my visit there, but was very happy to return to Australia at the end of each visit.  

My wife is also English, (we met and married in Australia when we both had PR) and she does get homesick now and again.   She says she never knows when it will hit her, or what starts it off, but over the past 10 years she says it has reduced considerably and she is always very happy to return to Australia as she considers this her home now.  Mind you, she still has family in UK, whereas I don't, so maybe that has something to do with it.    

On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 15:38, starlight7 said:

I watch 'Happy Valley' and just feel so thankful to be here and not over there. I suffered badly from homesickness last time I was in London , couldn't wait to get back here.

Brilliant show that. Great acting. We're watching the second series for the second time and there are some funny moments that you miss as everything else is so dark.

There are a few places like that not too far away from where we lived. Up in the peak district and Yorkshire Moors there are some rough old places, along with the beauty of course.

• Like 1