Favourite perth suburbs???

SimonandSian

Hi all,

So first of all I know this is a purely subjective question but we are heading to perth in January and will look to secure a rental ASAP on arrival (we can stay with family for a few weeks).

We have been in perth on a working holiday visa a few years ago and loved the Fremantle vibe, and have friends in beaconsfield so were going to aim for this area (beaconsfield / Hamilton hill / white gum / south freo probably in our budget).

But we do not have a recent experience of these suburbs, do they have a good reputation within perth? We have young children so schooling is important and also being close (ish) to the beach.

Thanks in advance

Simon and sian

I Like Freo - Hammy Hill doesn't have the greatest rep from all accounts but housing is more affordable than Freo.  I live in Leeming which is about a 20 min drive from Freo.  Older suburb (so not suited to everyone), but generally good size blocks.  Schools are good, public transport excellent - another one for you to look at.

It depends what you like in your suburb.  I really like the Freo vibe too.

Perth is struggling at the moment workwise (hope you have something lined up), the silver lining is that rents have come down a lot and there is a lot of stock available so you should have no problem finding somewhere and can probably afford to be fussy, maybe even ask below the asking. price.  Lots of break leases happening too as people move East or overseas.

I'm in Mount Hawthorn which is just NOR, very easy to get into the city or down to Scarborough, Trigg for the beach.  I really like it, nice village within walking distance and a bit more nightlife close by in Leederville when needed.

• Like 2

Freo is nice but expensive for what you get. Personally I like Northern suburbs better. I agree with Verystormy and get something short term and have a good look round. We rented for a year in Como and checked North and South. Fell in love with the suburb we are in the first few weeks we were here. Close to the beach, 10 mins to Hillarys, close to Whitfords shopping centre, good public transport.

. Remember there is a 5% vacancy rate in Perth metropolitan at the moment. I'd agree with advice and stay close to either City or Fremantle during initial period and seek out where is appropriate for you.

I wouldn't do the north or south myself as too far from anywhere and too my mind a bit the samey. But decide what fits your wants by taking time to see where fits.