Moving to Australia

sunshinedawn

Me, my husband and son will be coming out for 2 yrs later this year, husband's got a job and 457 visa is for 2yrs. My question is how many checked suitcases are we allowed on the flight. We can't ship anything out as we are stopping in an air BnB place for 3 months then will be looking for our own place to rent.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using PomsinOz mobile app

Only a few airlines offer the migrant excess baggage but it is for PR visas only. So a temp visa won't qualify. 

If you are on a 457 is the company not paying for your shipping? Or covering some shipping costs so you can bring belongings. Shipping household stuff via sea takes about 3 months on average anyways so would time in with you finding a rental. 

Just now, JetBlast said:

Singapore Airlines will do it for temp visas. They did it for my working holiday visa.

When was this? Just curious as for a few years now it seems their policy is for unvalidated PR visas only. They say this in writing when people enquire. They also no longer offer a double allowance but simply an extra 10kg on the migrant baggage allowance. So 40kg all up. Which given a few years back they only had 20kg as standard but then increased the standard allowance to 30kg evens out but the gain is only 10kg on a full fare. 

1 hour ago, JetBlast said:

It was 2013 I think. They didn't double it but offered 10KG extra. At the time the limit was 20KG to it made it up to 30KG.

They have gotten stricter since the standard 30kg limit came in. They stopped offering an extra 5 or 10 to people who asked on temp visas and tend to say PR invalidated only now. The goodwill gesture as you probably got seems to be a thing of the past. 

Thanks for the information, I have looked on Emirates and they say 30kg but I'm a bit thick really does this mean that are you only allowed 1 suitcase per person or can you take 2 suitcases. The company will pay up to 15,000 dollars but that will include returns flights to UK a small move cube will cost about 800pounds but as we don't have an address we can't send anything by this method of transport can we?

7 hours ago, JetBlast said:

If you are flying Business Class with Singapore Airlines you will get 50KG each if on a one way ticket. This is in addition to the standard 40kg You will need to contact customer services beforehand though.

Singapore would only give excess baggage to PR visa holders (not temporary)

Emirates, Etihad & Singapore give 30kg standard. We phoned Emirates & Etihad prior to booking tickets to see if they'd give a bigger allowance as we were emigrating & they said no.

Have you thought about getting your stuff shipped & delivered to a storage place? Not sure where you're moving to but we're in Sydney & when we moved we'd pre booked for our shipping to be sent straight to a storage company, as like you we did an Air BnB. Luckily we found a place to live before the shipping arrived so we were able to change the address. It cost us nothing to change it & the storage company didn't charge us either. They're super cheap to rent, at least they are in Sydney.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Emirates, Etihad & Singapore give 30kg standard. We phoned Emirates & Etihad prior to booking tickets to see if they'd give a bigger allowance as we were emigrating & they said no.

Have you thought about getting your stuff shipped & delivered to a storage place? Not sure where you're moving to but we're in Sydney & when we moved we'd pre booked for our shipping to be sent straight to a storage company, as like you we did an Air BnB. Luckily we found a place to live before the shipping arrived so we were able to change the address. It cost us nothing to change it & the storage company didn't charge us either. They're super cheap to rent, at least they are in Sydney.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Yeah, just looking into shipping and if we can give an address for delivery once we're there

Yeah, just looking into shipping and if we can give an address for delivery once we're there

In order to book the shipping you'll need to give an address, but like us if you find a cheap storage place near to your Air BnB you can definitely change the address once you have got yourself a permanent address

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

• 2 weeks later...