186 Transition - when to do police checks & medicals

FKS

I'm struggling to see the answer to this question (though sure it will have been posted). We are looking to apply for the 186 visa (transition route) in August 2017 (when my husband completes 2 years on his 457 visa). We need UK and Oz police checks as I understand it but think they're only valid for 6 months. I've heard you should apply with your applications 'decision ready' but am unclear whether we should be applying of our checks now (they'll be valid at time of application but if we are granted the visa don't suppose they will be valid then). Can anyone advise.

I'm also trying to decide whether to get medicals done now, in advance of applying. We are a family of 5 and there may be some issues on the medical that need further info (unsure at this stage). 

Maybe it's not actually true that applying decision ready helps? 

Many thanks (have also posted on 186 timeline in case this is more relevant there) 

26 minutes ago, FKS said:

I'm struggling to see the answer to this question (though sure it will have been posted). We are looking to apply for the 186 visa (transition route) in August 2017 (when my husband completes 2 years on his 457 visa). We need UK and Oz police checks as I understand it but think they're only valid for 6 months. I've heard you should apply with your applications 'decision ready' but am unclear whether we should be applying of our checks now (they'll be valid at time of application but if we are granted the visa don't suppose they will be valid then). Can anyone advise.

I'm also trying to decide whether to get medicals done now, in advance of applying. We are a family of 5 and there may be some issues on the medical that need further info (unsure at this stage). 

Many thanks (have also posted on 186 timeline in case this is more relevant there) 

Police checks are considered valid by DIBP for 12 months, not 6.

Ah ok thanks - we found something to say they had to be within 6 months of immigration interview. But perhaps we were looking in the wrong place! Didn't realise there was an interview anyway! 

• 5 weeks later...
On 24/05/2017 at 04:35, BadgerLady said:

My employer insisted that I lodge through their preferred migration lawyer. And the lawyer insisted that I do everything ahead of lodging ;)

This was the same for us....

our police checks are dated 08.08.16 medicals are dated 20.08.16.

the migration agent submitted application 24.11.16 we now have 8 weeks until both these run out and no case officer. 

Its another £1600 to redo them again 

On 23/06/2017 at 07:16, elizawho77 said:

This was the same for us....

our police checks are dated 08.08.16 medicals are dated 20.08.16.

the migration agent submitted application 24.11.16 we now have 8 weeks until both these run out and no case officer. 

Its another £1600 to redo them again 

That's very frustrating - will you definitely have to do them again? We are a family of 5 so medicals will be very pricey for us all - really don't want to have to pay and go through the process twice! 

9 hours ago, FKS said:

That's very frustrating - will you definitely have to do them again? We are a family of 5 so medicals will be very pricey for us all - really don't want to have to pay and go through the process twice! 

To be honest I'm not sure. I have seen some people haven't had to re do them and I'm hopeful. I am not sure if this is now because they are taking a lot longer to process applications.

It does say on the website for the 187 they like a decision ready application and this is what we gave so fingers crossed! 

If they do process the visa in July it doesn't give us much time to sort things out, pack up and go before the 20th August  either ??

On 24/06/2017 at 21:45, elizawho77 said:

To be honest I'm not sure. I have seen some people haven't had to re do them and I'm hopeful. I am not sure if this is now because they are taking a lot longer to process applications.

It does say on the website for the 187 they like a decision ready application and this is what we gave so fingers crossed! 

If they do process the visa in July it doesn't give us much time to sort things out, pack up and go before the 20th August  either ??

I hope it works out for you - such a stressful process and we are waiting at the moment until we can do the transition route at the end of August with the possibility the application will be thrown out in March when my husbands job moves to the short term skills list - as borders and immigration can't tell me what will happen to applicants in that position. Good luck! 

I got all mine done shortly before I applied and submitted with application. That way when they look at your application everything is there ready to go, rather than then asking for it, once you've done then waiting for them to look your case again. Once you have their attention on your case best to have everything there I reckon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Some case officers accepts police clearances beyond the expiry date while others don't such as my case.  My colleagues PC was expired in May but got straight PR approval this June.  While mine got expired 1st week of June but my CO advised it's no longer acceptable.  The fact that my PC was valid when my file was first picked up on May 9.  Additional docs required that time and all provided in May 22.  CO picked up my file again on June 27 but already saying my PC is not acceptable even it's just weeks difference.  My MA emailed CO on June 28 to reconsider my PC since I never went back to that country after the PC issuance.  Additional waiting time again for me.... Don't know when will my file be picked up again.  Hopefully they consider mine like what they did to other applicants.     

• Like 1

We used a registered MA and the nomination and application were submitted together in September 2016 including our police checks which were by then 2 months old. In November our MA told us to do our medicals. They were uploaded automatically. We were granted in March this year so our police checks were 8 months old [emoji4]
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I obtained my Japanese and Australian Police certificate 2 months before I lodged the Sc186 visa and I submitted them with other documents online. There would be no problem to submit at later stage as additional documents to attach online but my MA recommended all the documents ready before the lodgement.  As for the medical check-up, I arranged the appointment right after the lodgement. You should get a notification/info from DIBP how to arrange the medical check-up :) Good luck!

• Like 1