Contributory parent visa (subclass 143)

Hello,

My parents are hoping to apply for Contributory parent visa (subclass 143). I read somewhere that they can apply for visitor visa subclass 600 once in Australia they can apply for 143 giving them bridging visa. Question is will they be allowed to work on bridging visa?

Also family balance test is currently not met however one of my sister wants to go Australia on working holiday visa in the hope of obtaining temporary work visa;

• my self and one of my sister currently residing in Australia as permanent resident;
  • One of my sister lives in Holland;
  • Two sister lives in London but one hopes to move to Australia on 4 years temp visa like 457 or equivalent. 
  • So based on above that should tip the balance to 2-1-1-1 which will pass the family balance test.

Has anyone go through this process or similar? please share your experience

From what I understand the children must live permanently in Australia, So a WHV or a 457 wouldn't be enough. 

Balance of family test

The balance of family test requires that at least half of your children live permanently in Australia, or that more of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.

In order to count as living permanently in Australia, your children must be:

• Australian citizens
  • Australian permanent residents who are usually resident in Australia
  • eligible New Zealand citizens who are normally resident in AustraliaS

As stated above, your parents wouldn't pass the balance of family test until an additional sibling becomes a permanent resident/citizen.

As well, the 143 is considered an offshore visa regardless of whether the applicant was in Australia or not at the time of application.  So there is no bridging visa and you cannot work on a 600 visa.

On 15/05/2017 at 07:45, javadxster said:
Hello,

My parents are hoping to apply for Contributory parent visa (subclass 143). I read somewhere that they can apply for visitor visa subclass 600 once in Australia they can apply for 143 giving them bridging visa. Question is will they be allowed to work on bridging visa?

Also family balance test is currently not met however one of my sister wants to go Australia on working holiday visa in the hope of obtaining temporary work visa;

• my self and one of my sister currently residing in Australia as permanent resident;
  • One of my sister lives in Holland;
  • Two sister lives in London but one hopes to move to Australia on 4 years temp visa like 457 or equivalent. 
  • So based on above that should tip the balance to 2-1-1-1 which will pass the family balance test.

Has anyone go through this process or similar? please share your experience

If cannot pass balance of family test -They would maybe have to apply for the new parent visa for up to 10yrs??   But then cannot apply for further  stay after that, so not great! Also you would have to have been permanent for 4yrs for this visa

4 hours ago, javadxster said:

I am not sure about the family balance test, 2-2-1 (2 in Australia, 2 in UK and 1 Netherlands) it is not listed in the family balance test table. It says half or more must be living in Australia so in this case 2-2-1.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Brin/Pare/balance-of-family-test

Fairly clearly 2 in Australia and 3 not in Australia (doesn't matter if they are in UK or Timbuktu) does not meet the BOF test.

2 hours ago, Quoll said:

Fairly clearly 2 in Australia and 3 not in Australia (doesn't matter if they are in UK or Timbuktu) does not meet the BOF test.

Actually it does meet the BOF test if the three children not in Australia are in three different countries.

The criteria to pass the BOF test is that:

At least half of your children live permanently in Australia, or that more of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country

If the OP could get one of the UK resident siblings to move permanently to a third country - not the Netherlands - then they would satisfy the BOF test. In fact they would be in the exact situation illustrated in the 9th example of your link.

This is what i see regarding bridging visa. It looks like you can get bridging visa if you are here when you apply for 143.

In Australia:
You will be granted a Bridging visa if you are the holder of a Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173), the holder of a Tourist visa (subclass 676) or Visitor visa (subclass 600)  granted through ministerial intervention, or a member of the family unit of a Contributory Parent (Subclass 173) visa holder. In all other cases, you will not be granted a Bridging visa to stay in Australia.

1 hour ago, yamahamoto said:

This is what i see regarding bridging visa. It looks like you can get bridging visa if you are here when you apply for 143.

In Australia:
You will be granted a Bridging visa if you are the holder of a Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173), the holder of a Tourist visa (subclass 676) or Visitor visa (subclass 600)  granted through ministerial intervention, or a member of the family unit of a Contributory Parent (Subclass 173) visa holder. In all other cases, you will not be granted a Bridging visa to stay in Australia.

Unfortunately not.  The 143 is an offshore visa.  Although you can physically be in Australia when you put in the application there is no bridging visa to allow you to stay. 

Archived