Agent fees

NatalieG

We applied for a 457 and 189 our selves. Just followed the details on the immigration website. Was easy for both quickly, we front loaded everything sent it in and couple week later all approved.

Didn't need an agent, unless you have something strange or medical that makes it a complex case I wouldn't bother with an agent. Just paying someone to file paper work online you can do yourself.

Just read he websites and check you have all the items they list, then submit if they red more they tell you. Not much can go wrong and saves you a fortune...

Do you know what, I used an agent and felt it was money well spent! An instant answer to queries and I was too busy to research all the time. Like you I was concerned I'd make a mistake which could damage my application or waste money/time. I had no scary medical history and no dodgy convictions either. Some people appreciate the support that an agent can provide and some happily go it alone. Only you can make the choice ultimately!

On 17/04/2017 at 8:27 AM, Rt456 said:

Just read he websites and check you have all the items they list, then submit if they red more they tell you. Not much can go wrong and saves you a fortune...

----

This is extremely irresponsible advice.

Regards,

Richard

On 17/04/2017 at 8:27 AM, Rt456 said:

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
25 minutes ago, docseller said:

please if u have an idea about the price just post it

There is a post above with a link to agent fees. It isn't to hard to click a button and would have taken you less time than writing this.

On 21/04/2017 at 4:40 PM, Richard Gregan said:

----

This is extremely irresponsible advice.

Regards,

Richard

Well have had two visa for Australia, one for America and one for Canada and did them all DIY no problems the process is easy. If you have complications which the poster did not mention when I replied first then you may need more info but basic applications are a easy and formulaic. 

Funny how a registered agent suggest using an agent no conflict of interest there? I'm not coming back on this site, you respond and try to help and people are just knobish about it.

have fun spending  money on people that just file paper you could do on your own....

On 4/17/2017 at 3:04 AM, NatalieG said:

Can anyone help me with the rough cost of agents to do our visa application and help with our move? Thanks in advance 

It will depend on your specific situation and as well as the experience of the Agent you use.

You may want to consider having an initial consultation to assess your specific situation and gain a better understanding of your specific visa pathway. You will then be in a much better position to determine costs or whether you are confident to do it yourself.

On 4/17/2017 at 5:27 PM, Rt456 said:

Not much can go wrong and saves you a fortune...

Although you may not want to hear it, this is irresponsible advice considering you know nothing of the applicants situation.

You are basing your advice on your own personal experience which represents a single situation.

Currently the AAT (which is where you appeal a refusal) is handling huge numbers of appeal applications for applications where it has gone wrong. Getting it wrong and going through the appeal process can cost a fortune.

For what it's worth, I've filled in a few applications myself, and succeeded in getting my visas. However, even though they have been quite simple ones (partner and RRVs), the levels of stress involved make me think that paying someone else to do it is probably a good idea if you can spare the money. Note that I don't yet have any experience of using an agent so I can't actually comment on whether this is a good idea or if it even removes any stress!

I used Go Matilda when I did my application. The reason for the same was that I am very careless and I did not want to mess up the application. They were brilliant though and helped me through with all the paperwork. The visa process was a seamless one and I did not have to worry too much. It all depends on your application also, if it is complicated I would suggest you use an agent. If the application is straightforward one then you can decide if you want to or not. It is just an personal choice (obviously the financial aspect comes into play as well), so hard for someone to make that decision for you.

Edited by path2aus
  • Like 1

This week, I   lost my first ever review application. It cost my client $1673 to lodge the AAT application and I billed him for $990, including GST, with a further amount on a contingency basis; if he won. 

It was a 485 case, where the DIY  applicant had been refused for not completing the academic requirements before applying for his visa. I have won similar cases, but had no luck this time.

If the client had consulted me, before he acted on his own behalf, I would have advised him to wait until he had his completion letter before lodging. That advice would have cost him $180.

If he had consulted me before he embarked on a accounting course, with an inadequate English test score for a positive accounting skills assessment and no relevant work experience, I would have been able to render profound advice and so would have just about any RMA.

Here we have yet another casualty of the 'free' advice offered by an education agent.  

• 2 weeks later...

From my personal experience during my journey to Australia over 10 years ago, it really all depends on what visa you are applying for. I first came to Australia on a student visa which I applied by myself and my visa was easily granted as the requirements and process was pretty much straightforward. When it was time to apply for a permanent visa, I tried to get as much knowledge as I could with the process and the rules but ended up getting a migration agent because I realised it wasn't as simple. Immigration rules are so complex and ever so changing and I was scared of missing out on one simple rule which might mess up my application. I thought hiring an agent was worth it in exchange of my peace of mind. The end result of this was I became an Australian citizen eventually and my personal journey inspired me to do further studies to qualify as a Registered Migration Agent. I've now been assisting people live the Australian dream since.

With regards to fees, go to the MARA website and refer to a list of migration agents in your area, I'm pretty sure you'll find someone within your budget. My migration agent back then only charged me A$1,000! I honestly think getting assistance doesn't have to leave you with an empty pocket. Fees should be reasonable and payment plans should always be made available. 

Rhea

According to the OMARA fees MUST be reasonable. It is a pity they do not follow their own requirement.

I bill separately for preliminary advice, skills assessments and visa applications and otherwise adopt the minister's payment plan, full payment before flying the kite, but unlike the minister, skills assessing bodies, medical authorities and others, I do not take fees for hopeless applications.

For examples of being ripped off:

An applicant can undertake a medical examination before lodging a visa application, but will not normally find out that a subsequent visa application is thereby doomed, until they pay and submit it.

A DIY applicant who, for example, does not meet the English language criterion might receive a request for further information, which would take a delegate a few minutes to prepare and the minister then refuses the visa/s and pockets the visa application charge. Delegates usually send a request for further information, but they do not have to.