What to do first!

paulswin

17 hours ago, simmo said:

Moving home is always stressful, moving to the opposite side of the world is more so. Just keep reminding yourself of the goal.  You are moving to the greatest place on earth.

That is true and the one thing that anyone moving back to the UK (including us) needs to remember. They done it one way, when most of the time they were moving to new areas which they did not know about and had limited friends there. So moving back to the UK should be slightly easier in that aspect, especially if people move back to areas in the UK they know well. “You are moving to the greatest place on earth” cannot disagree with that at all. The good thing about living away is that you realise how good things were in the UK.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, suesmalls said:

I have started a spreadsheet but haven't quite got through typing a conclusive list and keep putting it off as it's daunting - been here all my life - 48yrs.  So my superannuation situation and UK Pension is not going to be great.  But decision made and can only move forward. 

I have put in my spreadsheet various tabs for different things - shipping quotes, pets, garage sale (for items we're selling to track money), plotted out our income v living costs v moving costs before we go.  Going to get copy of my birth certificate before I go so I've got a recent full birth certificate - won't be that easy once in UK.  Getting copies out of UK is easy - I've had to do it for copies of my parents to process my British Passport - based on ancestry.

I am finding having the spreadsheet does make you feel more organised and can easily update while I'm at work.

It is great to hear that making a list is helping you with all the planning that you have done and still need to do. Oh yes they can be a bit daunting  at the start, but the one good thing about them is that when you start marking things off, you get a great feeling of satisfaction knowing that tasks are getting completed. We use an online site called “Trello” for all our lists and tasks. This way we can have all our devices connecting to it and can see the list when we want. Being only half way through the year though, the to-do list is still bigger than the done/closed list. This is for work on the house and the car to name but a few lol.

It would be good to hear more about the pension and super situation you find yourself in.

• Like 1

Hi @Phil & Vikki

We have a quarter acre block that is fully landscaped and is very high maintenance, pool, large paved area - so renting is not really an option.  We rented for 18months when in Karratha - significant amount of money to get house back to our standard.  A lot of time invested in the gardens, replaced all the backyard pavers etc etc.  The two different tenants we had were crap and the real estate agents even worse as they didn't keep us informed of the truth.  Not going down that path again.  The house might go up $50K in 2 years if we have a great turnaround in WA, rent won't cover the mortgage and maintenance (need gardener, pool keeper and probably outdoor cleaning), plus repairs to get it back to sale state again.  Done the sums and not worth it,  If you had a house that is low maintenance and rentable then probably an ok idea.

Thanks for the name of the software application - Trello.

The issue with my age and super is I just fall shy of the 35 years working in Australia (32years) - this affects Australian pension, plus now I'm not going to be contributing towards my super so it's not going to grow as much as it should (haven't had great years of late on the growth), won't be able to get Australian pension in UK with changes this year to legislation (that's my understanding) and won't have a lot of working years in UK to contribute towards UK pension. Eeekk.  Plus when I draw on the Australian Super if in UK I will get taxed on marginal tax rate (like it's income) after I pay Australian Government my tax - so double tax.  They keep closing any loop holes so can't rely on that (if there is any).

I've never made the move so I'm probably like @VERYSTORMY (I think, hope I've got that right) and moving over with not having lived there before - but I am going open minded and willing to adjust.  I don't have any issues with Australia and will probably always think of it as home but we're wanting a change and closer to family.  Going to miss a lot about Australia and going to see other places in the world I've never seen before and have Christmas with family - been many years since there was a few people at the Christmas table.

Deposit paid on Cats today, TOR process commenced (more to do), uplift date confirmed, settlement date on house sale just being finalised.

Haven't booked tickets - not sure when to do that - as few things still not finalised.  Has anyone flown with Qatar recently - they're prices are so much better than Emirates who are charging $1440 for one way ticket Perth to Heathrow.  I've tried to Google and I'm reading a few sites saying they're flying a different route to get around the travel ban.  Doesn't make much different to the flight time.

Onwards and upwards - I can say no matter how much you've talked about it, thought about it, planned stuff - the actual time from when it's real (like sale of house) goes very quick and I'm working on things every day at work to get through the list.

Hi Sue

I did live in the UK previously. UK born and bred until we moved to Oz in 2008 and returned to the UK last year. The big difference with my move was timing. We made the decision to return on a Tuesday night and I was on a plane on the Saturday with my wife following the next week.

Where in the UK are you heading for?

• Like 1

Hi @VERYSTORMY

Sorry I must have read wrong through the posts.  Is your wife Australian and never lived in UK?  Just seems I'm one of the few whose moving over to UK for the first time after so many years in Australia.

We're heading to Peterborough (Whittlesey) to stay with family at first;  but I'm looking for work now. There's been a bit come up in Aberdeen but I'm trying to stay in England so visiting family isn't too hard.  That said, I'm keen on the Bristol area as there seems to be some good work.

I've put feelers out for roles and got few contacts but nothing secured at this stage.

Moving late July so not long now.  And so much to offload and pack up.  So many financial details to sort out - day by day though.

I read your posts and you both seem to be enjoying and glad for the move, so that's great.

Hi Sue

My wife is from Peru, but was living in the UK prior to moving to Oz.

When we returned last year, we were not sure where to live and we have ended up in Scotland, which we had never thought about, but have fallen in love with.

I know Peterborough reasonably well as we lived in Leicester prior to moving to Australia. It is a nice place. I have been to Aberdeen a few times and was very impressed. The city has a lot going for it and there is some stunning countryside around there.

We are also aged 48.

One of the great things about the UK is if you don't live near friends and family, it is still easy enough to visit. For example, we have family in London and I cant get a flight from Glasgow to Heathrow for under £20 and it only takes an hour, so can even do it as a day trip.

There are so many hidden gems though as well. I am working away on a project at Gateshead at the moment, though I have my wife and dog with me. On Monday, while I was at work, she visited South Shields. Now, many people think of the north east as being industrial and grim. But, she found South Shields so pretty she actually started crying just at how pretty it was.

We live just outside Glasgow and to go to the shops we walk through a woodland with a waterfall that is so pretty it feels like you have stepped into a magical realm. There are just so many amazing places to see and visit

• Like 2

Hey Sue,

Good luck with the move.

Just picked up on a couple of things on your posts.

Re financials & tax.  You will not be taxed twice on the same income.  UK & Australia have a double taxation agreement.  So if you pay tax in 1 country you get a credit for that in the other country and only pay the difference (or get a refund).  Happy to run through a hypothetical example if your like.

Re Qatar - I have never flown them but they have just been voted best airline in the world by Skytraxx.  All the middle east airline are pretty good.  They fly in and out over Iranian airspace and it shouldn't make too much difference to your flight.

Enjoy the move and embrace it.  It will take 12-18 months to settle properly so don't put too much pressure on yourself.  The great thing is that you are on the door step of Europe so very easy to explore new countries and places, lots of cheap flights (if they don't stuff up Open skies over Brexit).

Pop over to Ireland at some stage, lovely at this time of year, bright until 10/11 at night down the west and they are having a heat wave (that means >25 :))

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks @VERYSTORMY @Collie for the updates and confirmation on Qatar Airways.

Might have to rethink the Aberdeen roles perhaps - does seem to be a bit happening when I talk with agencies and look at the resources recruitment websites.

With the taxation on the Super - I will pay 15% (as it stands now in Australia) and then have to pay the balance of marginal tax rate in UK - so the whole premise of Super in Australia is that you put away for the rainy day of getting old (it is compulsory) and you pay 15% tax.  Of cause the rules for Super continually change and no doubt the pension age will increase to 70 and the tax % will creep up over the next 22 years when I hit 70.

Would be advantageous not to have to pay more tax on my forced savings - I didn't earn the money in UK, I earned in Australia and so UK gets to tax me on it - seems a tad unfair - but I'm probably opening up a can of worms.  It's nothing against UK and their government but to liken it to something else going on in Australia at present - we're introducing GST (= VAT) for online purchases made overseas but brought into Australia - does this happen in UK?  So if you buy from Amazon US, eBay or Etsy and it comes from another country, do you have to pay VAT on the purchase?

GST = goods and services tax - so if you make an online purchase overseas what goods or service made in Australia?  Anyhow, that may fire a few people up and always open to feedback and inputs I haven't considered.

Back to move - I am ready embrace the new beginning and can't wait to see more of Europe, hello Prague, Ireland, Italy and Rome.

Hope our garage sale goes well this weekend - got lots to sell before the big move.  Cats have now been booked on their Emirates flight, house has officially now been sold (they got an absolute bargain and great garden) and sold some furniture.  Still more to go, next is the cars.  Busy weekends ahead.

No, VAT isn't charged on online purchasers.

If you want to see more of Europe, then keep an eye on the sales that the low costs do and promotions. They do some amazing offers. For example, a couple of years ago a friend mentioned she was going to Berlin for the weekend. I asked if there was any specific reason and she said that she had got a flight for 1p, so why not!

If you are selling a lot of things, then we found Gumtree pretty good, though by far and away the best response we had was an advert put on the local IGA notice board

• Like 1

We've done quite well on Gumtree so far.  I've got items listed on Facebook but not much happening via that option. 

We've put small poster on IGA notice & community board. Got a painted sign to stick up on main road.  Hope the rain holds off.

Will definitely be looking  for cheap flight options once we're there.  I'm not that well travelled through Europe so really looking forward to that.  Will be better than Bali & Thailand & Malaysia for a change. 

On 2017-6-22 at 23:12, VERYSTORMY said:

Meant to say, we flew Qatar last year. I have been a regular flyer with over 1 million miles flown with Emirates and I was reasonably impressed. I think their economy class is better than Emirates

This is good to hear about the flights on Qatar.  I believe they fly straight into Edinburgh so I'd been considering them.  It'll probably be just me and the kids flying back to start with, and OH a couple of weeks later, and I am a bit nervous about the stop in Doha.  We've always flown via Singapore, so I know Changi fairly well.  Eldest is autistic and suffers with anxiety problems sometimes (as do I unfortunately), so I'm kind of torn between flying a route we know from Sydney to London via Singapore on Singapore Airlines but having to take an extra flight from Heathrow to Edinburgh, or just flying direct to Edinburgh with the different airline (Qatar) and the different stop in the middle.

• Like 1

We flew from Perth, so not sure how it works from Sydney, but the Perth flight barely has any time in Doha. It was off one and on to the next. So didn't see much of it. Didn't even see a shop as never left the arrival / departure area. It seemed very quiet by international airport standards. 

But, if you think going via Singapore would be better do your oldest, then I would opt for that, even if it means a bit extra cost. Though, I think the journey would be easier and probably quicker without having to get an extra flight from London 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LKC said:

This is good to hear about the flights on Qatar.  I believe they fly straight into Edinburgh so I'd been considering them.  It'll probably be just me and the kids flying back to start with, and OH a couple of weeks later, and I am a bit nervous about the stop in Doha.  We've always flown via Singapore, so I know Changi fairly well.  Eldest is autistic and suffers with anxiety problems sometimes (as do I unfortunately), so I'm kind of torn between flying a route we know from Sydney to London via Singapore on Singapore Airlines but having to take an extra flight from Heathrow to Edinburgh, or just flying direct to Edinburgh with the different airline (Qatar) and the different stop in the middle.

VS is probably right about Doha in terms of it not being a mad busy airport. Hubby has flown with Qatar quite a few times and said its pretty easy airport wise (unlike Dubai which is a MASSIVE hub and I loathe it). His down side of Qatar airline was that they lost his bike going one way, his luggage the other. He got them both back eventually but he was without clothes for a few days apart from hand luggage stuff and his bike arrived back a few days after him.

Personally, I'm with you, I love Changi to transit through as it never seems rushed or busy and it is light, has space and quiet areas. 

However, if its a layover at Doha for a few hours or less and then direct to Edinburgh it may be better than a layover in Singapore, then the connecting flight London to Scotland and having to get from international arrivals to domestic departures at Heathrow. Heathrow is never quiet and depending on terminals etc you may find you have to hop to a different one to get the domestic flight. I'd rather not have the stress for the kids or yourself in that respect. 

Oh, one last point. Its a long leg on a flight from Sydney to Doha. Check what plane its on. If its an A380 you are way more comfy than the 777 (or some other similar plane) which is cramped and seats no where near as comfy for 12-13 hours in a metal tube. Plus the 777 engines are away noiser. I prefer the shorter leg on the 777 (so Aus to Singapore) and the longer one on the A380 which the Singapore route does give you then on to London. 

I guess its swings and roundabouts and what you feel works best for you all. 

12 minutes ago, snifter said:

VS is probably right about Doha in terms of it not being a mad busy airport. Hubby has flown with Qatar quite a few times and said its pretty easy airport wise (unlike Dubai which is a MASSIVE hub and I loathe it). His down side of Qatar airline was that they lost his bike going one way, his luggage the other. He got them both back eventually but he was without clothes for a few days apart from hand luggage stuff and his bike arrived back a few days after him.

Personally, I'm with you, I love Changi to transit through as it never seems rushed or busy and it is light, has space and quiet areas. 

However, if its a layover at Doha for a few hours or less and then direct to Edinburgh it may be better than a layover in Singapore, then the connecting flight London to Scotland and having to get from international arrivals to domestic departures at Heathrow. Heathrow is never quiet and depending on terminals etc you may find you have to hop to a different one to get the domestic flight. I'd rather not have the stress for the kids or yourself in that respect. 

Oh, one last point. Its a long leg on a flight from Sydney to Doha. Check what plane its on. If its an A380 you are way more comfy than the 777 (or some other similar plane) which is cramped and seats no where near as comfy for 12-13 hours in a metal tube. Plus the 777 engines are away noiser. I prefer the shorter leg on the 777 (so Aus to Singapore) and the longer one on the A380 which the Singapore route does give you then on to London. 

I guess its swings and roundabouts and what you feel works best for you all. 

I've had a look at a few flights to Heathrow, with a further flight to Edinburgh, and there always seems to be a terminal change for the flights I've looked at, no matter which airlines.  I'm not sure I can be bothered with doing that.  I hadn't thought to look at the plane and length of flight.  I'll do that once I've put the kids to bed.  Maybe I could sell a kidney and pay for business class!  The Qatar flight has a layover of about 1h30 or thereabouts, which isn't bad.  In a way I'd rather get the long bit done first.  Hmmm.  Lots to consider.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, LKC said:

I've had a look at a few flights to Heathrow, with a further flight to Edinburgh, and there always seems to be a terminal change for the flights I've looked at, no matter which airlines.  I'm not sure I can be bothered with doing that.  I hadn't thought to look at the plane and length of flight.  I'll do that once I've put the kids to bed.  Maybe I could sell a kidney and pay for business class!  The Qatar flight has a layover of about 1h30 or thereabouts, which isn't bad.  In a way I'd rather get the long bit done first.  Hmmm.  Lots to consider.

We have flown back every year and we always go Emirates simply because they go direct to Glasgow which cuts out Heathrow and the need for a domestic flight up to Scotland.  Especially on your own with two kids and loads of luggage, if it was me I would go Emirates or Qatar.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AJ said:

We have flown back every year and we always go Emirates simply because they go direct to Glasgow which cuts out Heathrow and the need for a domestic flight up to Scotland.  Especially on your own with two kids and loads of luggage, if it was me I would go Emirates or Qatar.

Thanks for this.  I hadn't actually considered going via Glasgow.  Looking at the drive time to our rental house it looks like it is only 10 more minutes away because it is more main roads/motorway than coming from Edinburgh, although it is further.  I'll have to go and have another look!

• Like 1

1 stop over 2 every time for me and if you can avoid transitting in Heathrow, even better.  I'd even pay extra for it.

Given the publciity around the Qatar blockade, I wonder how busy their flights are.  Could be lots of room on the plane.

Look at skyscanner, I think you'll find your best options will be Emirates, Etihad or Qatar direct to Edinburgh or Glasgow.  I've flown Etihad often and find them quite good.

• Like 2

Our house sold within a week of being put on the market, cash buyer and settlement 1 August.  We have also sold one car, one more to sell nearer time we depart.  Our Jaguar which we brought over from the UK will be shipped back and have had quotes and will be going with Chess 40ft container.  Dogs have had their rabbies injections and have got crates for them.  

We are currently in the UK on holiday been here since beginning of June, flying back tomorrow.  OH has been talking to recruitment agencies etc and a couple of promising things on the go.  Have managed to narrow down the area we want to settle in Dorset/Wiltshire/Hampshire but depends on work.  

Once we we get back will finish selling items we are not taking back, and get shipping dates for car etc, dogs and our return booked. We have friends in UK assisting with locating a short term rental, will try and get an holiday let for the first few days, purchase a car.

So we have a lot to get on with once we get back, but have had a fantastic holiday with time spent in Gibraltar, a barn rental in the beautiful Hartland in North Devon, visiting family in Plymouth and Wiltshire.

Can't wait to get on with it!

• Like 1

On 2017-6-25 at 01:39, Collie said:

1 stop over 2 every time for me and if you can avoid transitting in Heathrow, even better.  I'd even pay extra for it.

Given the publciity around the Qatar blockade, I wonder how busy their flights are.  Could be lots of room on the plane.

Look at skyscanner, I think you'll find your best options will be Emirates, Etihad or Qatar direct to Edinburgh or Glasgow.  I've flown Etihad often and find them quite good.

Every time I've mentioned Qatar to OH he's mentioned that I could have 'trouble', as if he thinks that's going to make me feel better about flying on my own with the kids or something!  I did wonder whether it might affect passenger numbers, although it was voted best airline in some sort of airline awards.  I'm definitely going to look at flying into Scotland direct if I can.  I did see that some of the flights fly into Dublin, which might be more manageable than Heathrow if a third flight can't be avoided.

I'll go and have a look at Skyscanner, I've actually never looked at that website before!  I've always gone through each airline website separately!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LKC said:

Every time I've mentioned Qatar to OH he's mentioned that I could have 'trouble', as if he thinks that's going to make me feel better about flying on my own with the kids or something!  I did wonder whether it might affect passenger numbers, although it was voted best airline in some sort of airline awards.  I'm definitely going to look at flying into Scotland direct if I can.  I did see that some of the flights fly into Dublin, which might be more manageable than Heathrow if a third flight can't be avoided.

I'll go and have a look at Skyscanner, I've actually never looked at that website before!  I've always gone through each airline website separately!

I use the likes of skyscanner (best jet mainly) you get a better overall view of what's available, from this I then, like you, go into the actual airlines site for further details also I much prefer booking and dealing direct with the airline.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LKC said:

Yep - skyscanner and kayak (another good one) look across all airlines and agencies.

Dublin is a lot smaller than Heathrow.  I have never transitted through it (end destination for me) but it is a fairly manageable airport, only 2 terminals that are fairly close together.  T1 is mostly Ryanair flights and is a bit of a dump.  T2 is quite fairly new (10 years old) and is nice enough.Emirates, Etihad & now Qatar fly direct into Dublin from the middle east (Manchester too I think).  There are no direct flights from Asia into Dublin (Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong etc).

Before the M/E airlines fly direct to Dublin, I always had the 2 stopovers, normally Heathrow, but sometimes CDG (Paris).  Best experience I had was through Helsinki, small airport, easy to get around, didn't lose my bags.

Dublin is still an extra stopover though, unless there is a massive price difference, I look to go the most direct route (ie 1 stopover)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LKC said:

The other alternative to Heathrow is Manchester.  Singapore and Cathay fly there, as does Emirates I think. Heathrow is a nightmare to transit through as you will have to change terminals. The Qatar situation is volatile, could all be sorted in a few weeks or not.

• Like 2

Anyone got any suggestions regarding short term furnished rentals in the UK that aware dog friendly.  Everything has been going so well, house sold, got quotes for shipping and dogs, but have just hit a brick wall on short term house rental - we are looking for approx 3 months.  

I have tried Gumtree and even put wanted ads on for anything in Dorset, Hampshire or Wiltshire.  Everything seems to be for student let's (time of year) and it is one thing that didn't cross my mind.  Our house settles on 1 August and we were hoping to go to UK the next day.

Any advise pointers would be welcome.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redtop1 said:

Anyone got any suggestions regarding short term furnished rentals in the UK that aware dog friendly.  Everything has been going so well, house sold, got quotes for shipping and dogs, but have just hit a brick wall on short term house rental - we are looking for approx 3 months.  

I have tried Gumtree and even put wanted ads on for anything in Dorset, Hampshire or Wiltshire.  Everything seems to be for student let's (time of year) and it is one thing that didn't cross my mind.  Our house settles on 1 August and we were hoping to go to UK the next day.

Any advise pointers would be welcome.

Have a look at airbnb, you may be able to doa a deal for 3months

• Like 1