Forum Problems

On 17/04/2017 at 17:36, Aboottarren said:

I joined this forum a few weeks ago thinking it would be OK   CHRIST I have been flooded with e-mails that have been sent to the forum but they have passed them on to me,I dont want other peoples problems on my personal PC keep the things on the Forum   UNSUBSCRIBE ME IMMEDIATELY.

Clearly it's pointless directing you to the instructions on how to manage notifications to topic's YOU'VE subscribed too. (But for anyone else that's interested, they're below)

With that in mind, I'll do it for you. I suspect YOU had it set to receive instant email notifications. Instead of going off on a rant, surely a simple change to 1 email per day or no email notifications would have been sensible? Have a look at https://www.pomsinoz.com/notifications/options/

• Like 2

Guest The Pom Queen
Just now, Sunset said:

When i open my notification panel to read said notifications i tend to be getting the same notification two or three times?

Doesn't one say liked, quoted, posted as mine does for the same thread

On 17 April 2017 at 8:36 AM, Aboottarren said:

I joined this forum a few weeks ago thinking it would be OK   CHRIST I have been flooded with e-mails that have been sent to the forum but they have passed them on to me,I dont want other peoples fucking problems on my personal PC keep the fucking things on the Forum   UNSUBSCRIBE ME IMMEDIATELY, I have seen enough crap in the few weeks I have been a member,  you lot couldn't organize a piss-up in a brewery.

There was obviously a piss up on Monday when you posted this ?

• Like 1

I always thought this notification feature was overkill and should be removed.

It should be like Facebook where you just have the little number showing updates within facebook.

PIO has this too on the bell.

Separate emails are annoying to most users. I know you can turn them off but not everyone knows that.

Guest The Pom Queen
8 hours ago, Parley said:

Separate emails are annoying to most users. I know you can turn them off but not everyone knows that.

That's why @Cerberus1 has created help guides

• 3 weeks later...

I've waited a little while to post this to see if my opinion might change over time, but would I be the only one who feels that the new forum setup is harder to read and feels cluttered? Maybe it's just a personal thing and I'm the only one...

Yes, tend to agree with you.  Not so easy to see what thread you want to follow.  Also, some days bombarded with stuff, even though I've tried to sort what and when I want to receive posts.  When I originally joined, I don't recall having to choose, it just happened!

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
20 minutes ago, CaptainR said:

I've waited a little while to post this to see if my opinion might change over time, but would I be the only one who feels that the new forum setup is harder to read and feels cluttered? Maybe it's just a personal thing and I'm the only one...

I think I know what you mean although I don't see it as cluttered but there is a lot more clicking to be done to get where you want. The reason for this is that the site is now mobile friendly because 97% of our membership access the forum from a mobile device. So everything needs to be within a certain page frame (I think lol, I'm not the guru).

Guest The Pom Queen
10 minutes ago, carob said:

Yes, tend to agree with you.  Not so easy to see what thread you want to follow.  Also, some days bombarded with stuff, even though I've tried to sort what and when I want to receive posts.  When I originally joined, I don't recall having to choose, it just happened!

Hi @carob I find the notifications is exactly the same as the old forum. The difference is that it didn't save these settings when the forum changed over. On the old forum you made a post in any thread it automatically subscribed you to that thread and you received email alerts unless you chose differently. 

It is the same with this forum however, you have two options, to alter the default settings which will change how you receive notifications on all future messages and then you have another option for ones you are currently subscribed to. Cerberus as made a post on how to do this

The notifications options are virtually identical to the previous forum software:

Vbulletin (old forum software) managing existing subscriptions

vbsub1.png

IPB (new forum software) managing existing subscriptions

ipbsub1.png

Vbulletin (old forum software) default subscriptions options (which will affect new but not existing notifications) 

vbsub2.png

IPB (new forum software) default subscriptions options (which will affect new but not existing notifications) 

ipbsub2.png

The new forum software has more options as it gives you finer control over notifications.

Guides to managing notifications can be found here:

and here:

With regards to the forum being 'cluttered', I fully respect people will have differing opinions about things, I've absolutely no problem with that. From a purely personal point of view, I find IPB to be far cleaner in appearance, and the most important thing by far is that it's a fully responsive design, meaning whatever device the forum is being viewed on, it will adept itself to that screen size and still be fully mobile friendly and readable - something the old forum wasn't and one of 3 reasons we took big hits in google. Given over 60% of our traffic now comes from mobile & tablets (not including access via tapatalk and our app), it was crucial to implement such a design.

• Like 2

Just to add, if anyone wants me to delete all their existing subscriptions, so they can start again using new default options (such as no emails, once a day emails etc), just msg me as I can delete them all with one click via the admin control panel

• Like 1