Can I take ......

Barry1986

All white goods are much more expensive over there....my daughter is taking everything-washer, dryer, dishwasher, fridge freezer, dyson, !!

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

I’m not sure the range cooker is something you can take. You would need to research.

As for the rest, up to you. We didn’t ship white goods or sofa, table chairs and kids bed and a fair few other things. We replaced those things this end over a year or two and made do with garage sales and FB buy and sell pages to find some stuff which as it turned out were great finds. 

On 19/10/2017 at 16:34, zs123456 said:

Hi is it worth taking "everything", I have a range cooker and would love to ship it. Do people generally take all household items, such as washing Machines, fridges etc or is it more cost effect to be selective and purchase items when you arrive?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• 2 months later...

We have some wooden photo frames will these need to be treated? 

Also we have canvas artwork and a wooden ornament from Cuba which we are wanting to bring over to Oz, but no one with PSS seems to be able to tell me whether it is ok to ship... any one here know the score? :D 

Finally... are you allowed to bring dog toys or collars/leads?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Mbandvb

12 hours ago, Mbandvb said:

We have some wooden photo frames will these need to be treated? 

Also we have canvas artwork and a wooden ornament from Cuba which we are wanting to bring over to Oz, but no one with PSS seems to be able to tell me whether it is ok to ship... any one here know the score? :D 

Finally... are you allowed to bring dog toys or collars/leads?

Thanks in advance :)

You can ship them I'd expect. Its the case of being prepared if they get inspected and need to be treated to be allowed through. 

FWIW I shipped over wooden ornaments without issue. Also dog leads and collars. All were washed first. 

7 hours ago, snifter said:

You can ship them I'd expect. Its the case of being prepared if they get inspected and need to be treated to be allowed through. 

FWIW I shipped over wooden ornaments without issue. Also dog leads and collars. All were washed first. 

Thanks for the help :) 

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, dream2017 said:

shipping my tools in the move cube... whats the best way to clean them? WD40?

It depends what type of tools they are; if they're gardening tools, they have to be cleaned to within an inch of their life.  Absolutely no soil, grass, garden insects or seeds - I think I've read something in the past about steam cleaning?  I'm not sure what WD40 would do to kill any pests or eggs. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dream2017 said:

shipping my tools in the move cube... whats the best way to clean them? WD40?

Depending on the type of tools a hot engine wash brings them up a treat. Hubby did this with his spanners, sockets etc and we had no problems at all with customs. If you dont have access ask a local garage if they will do it for you.

Cal x

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

has anyone shipped a barbie (bbq) when they moved to Oz? We will be cleaning it to be spotless as that is an item that is fairly new and a shame to have to sell....it was not cheap by any means....so wondering if we can take in the sea container? 

we won't be shipping a propane tank....we know that's a big no no....plus our bbq is hooked up to the gas line of the house so has never needed a tank 

Edited by Cegor

34 minutes ago, Cegor said:

has anyone shipped a barbie (bbq) when they moved to Oz? We will be cleaning it to be spotless as that is an item that is fairly new and a shame to have to sell....it was not cheap by any means....so wondering if we can take in the sea container? 

we won't be shipping a propane tank....we know that's a big no no....plus our bbq is hooked up to the gas line of the house so has never needed a tank 

I would check with your removalist or on the website.  It would have to be incredibly clean - if inspected you would be faced with a bill for treating or disposal if it didn't meet up to their standards.

1 hour ago, Cegor said:

I brought with me 3 bbqs, no issues. One Weber Go Anywhere gas, one WGA charcoal both used but cleaned and a Weber Master Touch Premium, all cleaned within an inch of their lives. No issues.

Worth doing if you have the space as they are significantly more expensive in Aus.

2 hours ago, ali said:

I would check with your removalist or on the website.  It would have to be incredibly clean - if inspected you would be faced with a bill for treating or disposal if it didn't meet up to their standards.

I would expect BBQs to be less of an issue than lots of other things as they are used for cooking, getting very hot and therefore likely to have killed off any pathogens or bio hazards that Australian customs may be interested in.  

• 3 weeks later...

This is a bit random but how about washing powder? I’m presuming they will be ok if they’re unopened? We had to upgrade to a large move cube to fit some furniture in so I want to make sure it’s crammed as full as possible! I remember washing powder is extortionate in Oz, especially the eco brands. 

32 minutes ago, Gemrock said:

This is a bit random but how about washing powder? I’m presuming they will be ok if they’re unopened? We had to upgrade to a large move cube to fit some furniture in so I want to make sure it’s crammed as full as possible! I remember washing powder is extortionate in Oz, especially the eco brands. 

I’d imagine it would be pretty clogged and stuck together by the time it arrives, if you can ship it that is. It’s going to possibly get quite humid and therefore the powder would get stuck together I’d expect. 

Tbh washing powder isn’t that pricey here. I buy mine on special and pay half price then. I’d not bother shipping that sort of thing personally as you have to make do for 3 months or so before it arrives anyways. 

I agree with Snifter in that the humidity will probably turn it into one big solid block. The eco washing powders here are anything from $6 to $12- full price, a lot less if you buy when on offer which is the trick to shopping cheaply once here.

Cal x

Guest The Pom Queen

It’s not worth your while, like Snifter and Cal said it will spoil with the humidity. 

I don’t think it’s cheaper Sainsbury is £2.04 kg and Big W is $2.53 kg (£1.41)

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/all-detergents---washing-powder/persil-non-bio-washing-powder-318kg-(45-washes)

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/fab-sunshine-fresh-laundry-powder-7-5kg/p/956114/

Save it for bedding, towels, coat hangers, maybe socks and shoes.

Aha, hadn’t considered the humidity. Ok, so no washing powder! Thanks! Definitely have m&s undies and socks on the list for the whole family. You get some good deals in Target but I don’t find the quality quite the same. Anything else you got to Oz and thought ‘damn, wish we’d shipped that’ ?! Have 2 weeks before the cube arrives!